Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 AM

77,676 posts, read 59,823,491 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am vacationing on Siesta Key in early June with my gf and sons aged 11 & 13. I've been down there a number of times in the past so I know the area.

I've always wanted to go charter fishing out onto the ocean and was looking for any advice. I see that I can do 4 hours of bay ($350) or reef\sea ($450) fishing through the outfitters by the southbridge on Siesta Key.

So:
1) Anyone recommend any outfitters?
2) Any thoughts on bay vs. ocean?
3) Cold snap impacted fish I know, how is the bay vs. reef scenario then?

Any other input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 PM

463 posts, read 863,194 times
There are some out of placida. I took my wife ,mom and daughter everyone caught fish. I think it was captain mikes. the boat holds about thirty people. There are others there to.It is only $60.00 per person

Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
what kind of fishing do you like to do
my SIL who lives in the Venice area likes to do fly fishing--salt water--for snook and the like
he would favor having a good guide take him someplace he could get some instruction with his fly fishing and get some fish...vs being on large boat with people he did not know where there is more party atmosphere than fishing...
not that one is wrong--it would just not be the way he would want to spend his money...

Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the posts.
I'm going to definitely do the small boat which is 4 + guide for the family experience thing. Likely going out on the ocean and don't care on type of fish, just want to catch some. I've emailed some places to find out some more about what are the best options.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,016,874 times
I have been fishing Port Charlotte Harbor, and occasionally going down by Boca Grande, and some of the clear back water behind Gasparilla Island. The fishing has continually improved and is not pretty good. I haven't gone out in the Gulf looking for reefs yet. But last week we went behind the Islands for 1/2 a day, caught some nice fish, and caught a bunch of small bait fish. Then we went over to the back side of Cayo Costa (opposite side of Boca Grande). We fished the pass for a while, but the tide was running to fast for Shark fishing. So we pulled back behind Cayo Costa where the tide was slower, and we hooked up on about 10-12 nice size sharks. We just did catch and release, none of the Sharks were injured. Can't say the same for some of the bait fish. Those Sharks are mean! ;-(

Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 PM

475 posts, read 895,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I have been fishing Port Charlotte Harbor, and occasionally going down by Boca Grande, and some of the clear back water behind Gasparilla Island. The fishing has continually improved and is not pretty good. I haven't gone out in the Gulf looking for reefs yet. But last week we went behind the Islands for 1/2 a day, caught some nice fish, and caught a bunch of small bait fish. Then we went over to the back side of Cayo Costa (opposite side of Boca Grande). We fished the pass for a while, but the tide was running to fast for Shark fishing. So we pulled back behind Cayo Costa where the tide was slower, and we hooked up on about 10-12 nice size sharks. We just did catch and release, none of the Sharks were injured. Can't say the same for some of the bait fish. Those Sharks are mean! ;-(
I have only fished salt water once but hope to when I come down. I have heard you can catch shark off a pier without even trying so I would like to know how to release a shark without harming it (or yourself). Do you just cut the line? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,016,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
I have only fished salt water once but hope to when I come down. I have heard you can catch shark off a pier without even trying so I would like to know how to release a shark without harming it (or yourself). Do you just cut the line? Thanks.
You can catch them on a pier. I was out on Ft. Myer's beach pier and watch a guy catch a black tip shark. When he was pulling it up (a long way up), the fish jumped off the line.

I have caught a number of bonnett head sharks and although I'm careful, I'm still leary. I use some long fish hook pliers and hold on tight to them around the neck. If they (the sharks) are big, I cut the leader. I use steel circle hooks and they will either fall out, or they will just rust and desolve.

I caught a 5' shark, I think it was a lemon shark. I wouldn't bring it in the boat, but held onto the leader for a picture. Just as I was leaning over to have the picture taken, it jumped off the hook. My brother caught a 4'er and he brought his on the boat, after I told him he shouldn't. Well he set it down, and the funny thing was, it started swinging around and biting everywhere. He put his foot on it in order to hold it, but was in a out of balance position. He looked like he was playing twister. I looked at him, and said "So. . . , now smart guy, whatcha gonna do?" LOL He said "I was thinking the same thing." And he was thinking about reaching down to try to take the hook out. I said, "I think you should forget the hook, and cut the leader, that way you get to keep your fingers." And, he said, "I was thinking the same thing." And then I said, "See you get smarter all the time when you hang with me."

Always do the safe thing. And if you use steel circle hooks, just cut the leader if you don't feel comfortable removing it. They really don't hurt the fish, and it will just rust out if it doesn't fall out anyway.

But, most of all .. .. .. remember to have fun, and bring a kid sometimes.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM

475 posts, read 895,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
You can catch them on a pier. I was out on Ft. Myer's beach pier and watch a guy catch a black tip shark. When he was pulling it up (a long way up), the fish jumped off the line.

I have caught a number of bonnett head sharks and although I'm careful, I'm still leary. I use some long fish hook pliers and hold on tight to them around the neck. If they (the sharks) are big, I cut the leader. I use steel circle hooks and they will either fall out, or they will just rust and desolve.

I caught a 5' shark, I think it was a lemon shark. I wouldn't bring it in the boat, but held onto the leader for a picture. Just as I was leaning over to have the picture taken, it jumped off the hook. My brother caught a 4'er and he brought his on the boat, after I told him he shouldn't. Well he set it down, and the funny thing was, it started swinging around and biting everywhere. He put his foot on it in order to hold it, but was in a out of balance position. He looked like he was playing twister. I looked at him, and said "So. . . , now smart guy, whatcha gonna do?" LOL He said "I was thinking the same thing." And he was thinking about reaching down to try to take the hook out. I said, "I think you should forget the hook, and cut the leader, that way you get to keep your fingers." And, he said, "I was thinking the same thing." And then I said, "See you get smarter all the time when you hang with me."

Always do the safe thing. And if you use steel circle hooks, just cut the leader if you don't feel comfortable removing it. They really don't hurt the fish, and it will just rust out if it doesn't fall out anyway.

But, most of all .. .. .. remember to have fun, and bring a kid sometimes.
Thanks for the info and stories! I plan on bringing my son, he's 16 and not too keen on the move idea... but he does like fishing (when he catches something).

Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 AM

28 posts, read 53,553 times
I have not been fishing since I moved to the area but its at the top of my bucket list while I am here.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM

I've caught lots of fish just surf fishing off the beach. I use Gulp saltwater bait and also live shrimp and have caught a nice variety of fish using low-end tackle that I don't care if it rusts out etc.

Also get some pvc pipe and cut to about 2.5 foot long sections. Makes for GREAT rod holders when you shove them into the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area