Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times

Advertisements

Just FYI, out of Tallahassee:
"The Governor's Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service (Volunteer Florida) is encouraging individuals who live along or are visiting coastal communities to watch for oiled wildlife, vegetation, and beaches by becoming a Coast Watch volunteer. Similar to the Crime Watch program, Coast Watch volunteers are community members who know the daily wildlife and plants that exist on their local beach. The "Coast Watchers" will assist BP, the state of Florida and partnering organizations in identifying beaches that need attention."

Report injured or oiled animals to the Wildlife Distress Hotline: 1-866-557-140

Report oiled shoreline to: 1-866-448-5816

Report a change in Air Quality to: http://www.epa. gov/bpspill/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
I would like to point out that SOME people here have been a whole lot more uncivil when they disagree. You guys have been both polite and civil. Sometimes things are very much lost in translation when only transmitted in written form.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:27 AM

172 posts, read 472,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
webster defines civility as "civilized conduct; especially : courtesy, politeness b : a polite act or expression". i was not uncivil if you are going to accuse me of something at least get the definition of the term correct.

because my view is not the same as yours, its ridiculous? i made a statement about what i thought of the current administration of the country. i then apologized for bringing politics into a sarasota forum. it seems you can't let it go. and as for politics, maybe you need to broaden your sources of information and keep an open mind. drink something else besides the koolaid. that is it on the subject from me.

ci·vil·i·ty

   /sɪˈvɪlɪti/ Show Spelled[si-vil-i-tee] Show IPA
–noun,plural-ties. 1. courtesy; politeness.
2. a polite action or expression: an exchange of civilities.
3. civilization; culture; good breeding.

Your statement was that he is attempting to destroy America. I do not think that calling our President a traitor is being civilized. I was giving you another opportunity to clarify your position.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:37 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
As one who contributed to this political debate, I have a suggestion. Now don't get me wrong, I love talking politics. But maybe a new thread should be started? I think the importance of the oil spill deserves it's own thread, free from political opinions.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
moderators need to enforce the rules of the forum
this is thread about the oil spill and its physical dangers for FL

anything political in nature is off-topic and should be deleted or re-directed to that forum...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
just saw this report on web site that one of the three leaks has been closed by adding a valve assembly to one sheared off and it has worked to close off one of the leaks--was done by robot sub from vessel on top
tried before but waves were too strong
BP Says One Oil Leak of Three Is Shut Off - NYTimes.com

know someone who works charting water currents--he is based in Houston but actually worked at one time on the rig that had the explosion--
he was on rig close by or one of the surface vessels trying to figure out the current flow I guess
he got back to Houston last night according to his wife...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 AM

I have been posting what I believe is valuable information for our community about the oil slick and its possible impact to our community. I will continue to post as much information as I can, regardless of what other people choose to discuss related or unrelated to the oil slick.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Just fyi...If people from the forums are donating Dawn dishwashing liquid, just donate the old fashioned kind. For some reason, they can't use the anti-bacterial Dawn on the wildlife.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Has any oil been found at any area beaches? I was looking at the Mote website and it would appear so. But maybe I am misreading the map.

Beach Conditions Reporting System for the Gulf Coast of Florida

nevermind, the map was just updated.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Default Not good news...

Breaking News from the National Audubon Society:

New York, NY, May 5, 2010 - Reports of oil reaching the Chandeleur Islands mark the initial assault of the massive Gulf Oil Spill on the first of 25 recognized Important Bird Areas (IBAs) that line the Gulf Coast from Louisiana to south Florida. Designated by Audubon in conjunction with Birdlife International, the sites provide essential habitats to hundreds of species. South of Gulfport, Mississippi, the Chandeleurs are breeding habitat for Sandwich and Royal Terns, plus Brown Pelicans—only recently removed from the U.S. Endangered Species list and just beginning to bounce back.

Statement of Audubon President Dr. Frank Gill

"This is another sad milestone in a disaster unfolding in slow motion. This massive oil slick is churning around in the Gulf and emulsifying into a thick, deadly 'mousse' that will extinguish life and destroy habitats."
"Seabirds like the Northern Gannet and an array of marine life have already been hit and now, many more victims are now likely to succumb. We may never know the full extent of the damage to the creatures that spend their lives beneath the waves or suspended between sea and sky. Millions of birds migrate across the Gulf at this time of year, returning from their winter homes in South America."

It is only just beginning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area