Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 AM

47 posts, read 100,544 times

Advertisements

On 5/15 I will arrive in Sarasota for the first time. I have been told it is a nice city. I have rented a house for a week and would like to look for a property to retire to in a few years. I would prefer to be close to the downtown area for access to restaurants, bars, music, beaches etc. I dont know if I can afford to live there though. I want to invest about 150k in a nice place. Am I in the ballpark??? If not tell me where I should be looking? I've got a week and a tank full of gas I can cover alot of ground so your suggestions are encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 04:28 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
South Venice and North Port

Old 05-08-2010, 04:30 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMY WACK View Post
I dont know if I can afford to live there though. I want to invest about 150k in a nice place. Am I in the ballpark??? If not tell me where I should be looking? I've got a week and a tank full of gas I can cover alot of ground so your suggestions are encouraged.
I know you're not going to find a "nice" single family house, centrally-located, for $150K. I just went through the process recently.

As you begin the self-bargaining process, you will be trading location for amenities and size.

For what it's worth, our ONLY concern with moving to Palmer Ranch was being "too far out," and that hasn't been even the most remote issue, as it turns out. We go downtown and thereabouts quite often (in fact, my fiance works at Memorial), and we never think twice about the distance. For instance, I like to play cards at the track, near the airport, and I can get there in twenty minutes flat.

I guess all I am saying is that for that money, don't assume that living a little further out will be too much of a downside. It really hasn't been for us at all.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:07 AM

14 posts, read 44,372 times
for 150k it's going to be hard to find a really nice place located nicely close to downtown, but luckily Sarasota's not so big that most places in Sarasota doesn't require more than 20minute drive to get to downtown most of the day.

Palmer Ranch area is good, and Lakewood Ranch area isn't bad, even though it's a failed development area for now pretty much imo, (tried to build and expand while the real estate bubble just about bursted) it's a nice place to retire still imo that isn't too far from too much, I'm sure it'll be fine in 5-10 years from now, for now there's not much there, there are still a lot of plans for the future I think though, but since it flopped prices are pretty good at the moment.

Otherwise South Sarasota area around Gulf Gate area isn't too bad, homes are a little older but the nieghborhood is nice. Although the houses run 150-200k so just gotta keep your eyes peeled for a deal. A area I been looking at is close to Clark and Beneva a little nieghborhood behind ABC liqours next to the retirement building, the houses back there is very nice around 150-250k but very nice nieghborhood and looks slightly more upscale than most of the Gulf Gate area a little hidden though.

That's assuming you want a house, condos on the other hand are affordable these days in Sarasota from what I've been seeing, especially around University Parkway / Lakewood Ranch area which are newer buildings.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
i would suggest getting a hold of a realtor that posts on here by the name of SoFLGal. met here at a CD get together. in hearing her talk it sounds like whirl wind tours are common with her. being florida born she knows all the areas and can zero in on your needs. just my suggestion.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:43 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,180 times
I completely disagree, I think you could pick something up east of 41 close to downtown anywhere from School ave to Tuttle, south to Midtown and Southgate. If you jump over Tuttle maybe in the Phillippi Creek area too. Palmer Ranch, Lakewood Ranch, Gulf Gate, and south Sarasota are not even factors. They are too far from the location you are looking for when you can find a home right in the above areas that are on the outskirts of where you would like to be.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:48 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
The OP only has $150,000 and wants a nice place. Palmer Ranch prices have fallen but not that low!

Old 05-09-2010, 06:49 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
I completely disagree, I think you could pick something up east of 41 close to downtown anywhere from School ave to Tuttle, south to Midtown and Southgate. If you jump over Tuttle maybe in the Phillippi Creek area too. Palmer Ranch, Lakewood Ranch, Gulf Gate, and south Sarasota are not even factors. They are too far from the location you are looking for when you can find a home right in the above areas that are on the outskirts of where you would like to be.
I agree with angelfish, plus you could also look where I live, in Whitfield Estates, this is a great older neighborhood near the airport, takes us 5 minutes to get to downtown, 15 minutes to Lido Beach, close to everything. Lots of deals here now. Forget Lakewood Ranch or Palmer Ranch, too far from downtown. There is also Paver park, just east of downtown.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:55 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
South Venice and North Port
Looking at my map neither of these are near downtown Sarasota.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMY WACK View Post
On 5/15 I will arrive in Sarasota for the first time. I have been told it is a nice city. I have rented a house for a week and would like to look for a property to retire to in a few years. I would prefer to be close to the downtown area for access to restaurants, bars, music, beaches etc. I dont know if I can afford to live there though. I want to invest about 150k in a nice place. Am I in the ballpark??? If not tell me where I should be looking? I've got a week and a tank full of gas I can cover alot of ground so your suggestions are encouraged.
Depends on what you mean by "nice" and "close to downtown". There are dozens of house south of Fruitville, west of Beneva and north of Bee Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area