Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,829,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
We are also getting pool estimates and have had companies from the Port Charlotte area come out (Grant Pools included) why did you settle on them,and I'm now also curious about Venice pool builders(Aquatech,etc,) if someone wants to give their input?
You might also want to check out Casa Pools in Port Charlotte. They've been around for quite a long time and have a pretty good rep. If Jerry is still there I would deal with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:29 PM

325 posts, read 1,019,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyboaterguy View Post
I would stay away from aquatech if its still owned by a guy named Charley. He was as rude as they come when he built our pool, he was the sub for our builder. I would ask for references......
Charley, is no longer the owner, he may still work there though. (I use to build his cages also) I do not have a lot of good things to say about him!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 PM

383 posts, read 1,019,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
You might also want to check out Casa Pools in Port Charlotte. They've been around for quite a long time and have a pretty good rep. If Jerry is still there I would deal with him.
we called Casa first and now are getting other quotes just for comparison,do'nt know if Jerry is still there cause the Mrs. contacted them

Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I need Florida View Post
Really it came down to our interaction with them compared with the others. From the first phone call they were very attentive. We began calling contractors right after we closed on the house. Because we live in NY our time was limited there. Grant sent a representative out that day, took the measurements and had the plans drawn up within the week. With the others there was a lot of waiting, even to have our intitial phone call returned.
As I said, the prices were all in the same ballpark, and the plans were similar as well. One company had a slightly different deck design that we liked so I called Grant back and they changed theirs without a problem.
We also like the pebble tec finish which is standard on Grant's pools. They were having a sale until the end of March with an upgrade to the Pebble Sheen at no extra cost. Because of a timing issue with the bank, we didn't sign the contract until well into April. We were still offered the upgrade though we didn't expect it. Obviously by this point we had already decided on Grant but it was still greatly appreciated and seems to back up what we had felt from the beginning.
Another aspect we liked was on the pool care side of the business. I can't speak for other companies because I didn't ask, but Grant will provide monthly service with no contract. They will come or not come depending on our needs. Because I have relatives in the area for the winters, I won't need care all of the time. We have the ability to use them when we need them but not have to worry about paying them regardless.
Thanks for the info, I also like the response from the guy at Grant Pools,and the pebble-tec finish they offer,we are also from NY(westernNY) Buffalo area ,where are you from, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 AM

17 posts, read 49,200 times
We are from Elmira, not too far from Buffalo I have an Aunt and Uncle in Orchard Park so have spent some time in the Buffalo area. Hopefully won't be here too much longer though. The Florida sun is calling us! That and New York is pushing us......

Old 05-12-2010, 04:11 AM

128 posts, read 422,776 times
As I stated in earlier post Aquatech built our pool and also do the weekly maintenance. The company is not owned by Charley, it is owned by Annette and her husband. All I can say is they have been very good and helpful to us. We do not live full time in Venice so need a good maintenance service, which to date they have provided. We just send an email to them if we need anything ie. turning pool heater on when we are due to arrive etc.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I need Florida View Post
We are from Elmira, not too far from Buffalo I have an Aunt and Uncle in Orchard Park so have spent some time in the Buffalo area. Hopefully won't be here too much longer though. The Florida sun is calling us! That and New York is pushing us......
Hi, I've been out of state for a little while,and just getting back on here,thanks for your response. We are from around Lockport area,and are SOOO happy living here now I just ca'nt even tell you! I really do'nt miss NY at all,but we do have to go back this weekend for our son's wedding! As far as pools go I'm starting to like what they are showing us from Premier Pools but were still not settled on anyone yet,if anybody has any more input let me know.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 49,200 times
Now that it has been nearly a month, I thought I would post an update to this thread. On April 17th we signed our contract and paid a deposit to Grant Pools. We are going to be down with family on July 1st and fully expected our pool to be completed by then as our salesman said it takes 5 weeks to complete. Add another week for the permit process and we had plenty of time. We even had 5 weeks to spare. Our salesman, prior to this, said that he would be working on the permit application and would have it done so that it could be taken to the county as soon as possible after we had signed the contract. He stated that this was not normal procedure since they don't want to do the work only to have the plans fall through. Understandable, however he did say it would be done and it wasn't.
As I said the contract was signed on April 17. Via the county's website the public is able to follow the permitting process. Our permit showed up on May 4th and after talking with them was told that that was when it arrived. I kept checking the status and nothing was changing. I made some calls to our salesman and leaving messages but was getting no return phone calls. Finally, I believe on May 23rd, I called and talked to somebody else in the office and explained the situation to him and was told he would take care of it. Amazingly my salesman called back that afternoon and told me he would have the permit that afternoon or the next morning and that he would call me as soon as he picked it up. Well, you guessed it. No phone call until I called the next afternoon and he told me (this is how it has been, the only time I get to talk to him is when he happens to answer the phone) he was headed out to pick up the permit at that very moment.
So, on the day the permit is issued we are down to 6 weeks before our family vacation. In Grant's defense, the county has laid off people and they are working short in the building department. However, even the lady I spoke with there said that it should not have taken as long as it did. I believe that if some of my phone calls had been returned and the situation looked into, the permit would have been issued sooner. For some reason the permit stalled there.
At the contract signing, our salesman also told us that since we couldn't be there for the construction he would e mail photos during the different stages. So far since the digging started I have been told 4 times, twice by the salesman and twice by the owner of the company, that they would get them to us. As of right now, nothing. I have spoken with the owner twice since the salesman won't return my calls and he has been more than pleasant. However he says that we are cutting it close for our July 1st return.
Bringing things current.....our house got broken into recently. Nothing was stolen it appears, since we don't really have anything in it yet that some scumbag burglers would be able to steal and sell quick. They could have done some damage to furniture we have but luckily didn't. I received a phone call from the deputy who is handling the case this past Monday, June 7th. He said he had called the pool company to see when they were there last. He was told not since Tuesday June 1st. I called the owner again. He said on Monday that they were starting to dig the hole for the pool and they should have had that inspected by now and should also be pouring the concrete today or tomorrow (Thursday the 10th or Friday the 11th. We will see. We are headed down for two days next week.
I will continue to keep you all posted. Right now I am not real happy. If I arrive on July 1st to a nice finished product that may change but I don't have high hopes at this point. Will let you know.......

Old 06-10-2010, 01:39 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,111,660 times
wow. we were very close to choosing grant but have decided to run with casa whn we have it done. yes jerry is still there and he looked after us very well. we were told pebble tek isnt all that- it actually covers shoddy work as it is easy to apply.maybe we had a lucky escape

Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,024,131 times
Please!!!!

Leave
all
weapons
HOME!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area