U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 AM

41 posts, read 129,251 times

Advertisements

I'd be working around Manatee Ave in West Bradenton, zip 34205.

I have a nice budget for housing (over 500K)

I've read mostly bad things about the area.

I've read mainly nice things about Sarasota. Not sure how far that is from where I'd be working.

I'm white and middle aged.

I lived in Phoenix, AZ and loved it - everything was so clean and new!

I love Jupiter, Florida!

I'm in PA now and I've found where I live to be too rural, too old and rundown, and too much of a bible belt mentality for me. (No offense intended.)

Any and ALL opinions will be respected. I understand certain circumstances and attitudes will give people different opinions of the area. I respect the good and the bad.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM

16,714 posts, read 36,213,464 times
Check out my post about good things in Bradenton:

Some good stuff about Bradenton

Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Check out my post about good things in Bradenton:

Some good stuff about Bradenton
Thank you gypsychic! That was very nice of you.

It sounds so interesting, but is SOOOOOO not my scene.

However, it is nice to read some really nice comments about Bradenton.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 PM

162 posts, read 211,206 times
If you like Arizona........Fla. may not be right for you.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1077 View Post
If you like Arizona........Fla. may not be right for you.
May I ask why?

Do you mean the Sarasota area or all of Florida? I have been going to Miami every year for years and I really enjoy myself whenever I'm there. I especially like Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. South Beach is great for the beachor a lite lunch, I'm too old for the night scene there!

I love Jupiter, Boca and Palm Beach Gardens also.

I do not know the west side of Florida. Farthest I'd ever been was a weekend trip to Sanibel Island.

Any opinions offered would be greatly appreciated.

"If" I decide to venture that way I'd rent a home first. In this market I wouldn't want to buy, dislike the area and then not be able to sell.
I'm getting mixed messages from friends about the area. It appears to be an either love it or hate it type of situation.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:52 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,000,302 times
I guess it depends what you like to do-I live in Bradenton and actually like it. I wouldn't however, raise a family here (nor am I happy with the ghetto apartment we live in).. but overall, people are friendly and we have everything nearby. Palma Sola has some very nice homes and is a very nice area. It's close to the beaches and some good fishing if that's your thing. That area is VERY close to where you will be working. The neighborhoods are very well kept, but the homes are older (80's maybe?) There are some fun places nearby for socializing (Tequila Beach and Clancy's) and lots of shopping around. However, it's a bit of a drive to the interstate., and may be bit "small town" for what you like. Another area to research is Mote Ranch which is only about 20 minutes to your work. It's a very suburban like area, with some gated and ungated areas. My husband and I are in the process of buying a short sale here. University Place, Copper Ridge and Chaparral are all very nice. There are NOT a lot of children in the area with middle aged people around. It is mostly middle-upperclass working professionals. Many ameneties are nearby, shopping, dining and close to golfing, the airport and interstate. Mote Ranch also has a very nice pool, and some bike/walking paths..

Old 05-23-2010, 10:49 AM

4,850 posts, read 13,500,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I guess it depends what you like to do-I live in Bradenton and actually like it. I wouldn't however, raise a family here (nor am I happy with the ghetto apartment we live in).. but overall, people are friendly and we have everything nearby. Palma Sola has some very nice homes and is a very nice area. It's close to the beaches and some good fishing if that's your thing. That area is VERY close to where you will be working. The neighborhoods are very well kept, but the homes are older (80's maybe?) There are some fun places nearby for socializing (Tequila Beach and Clancy's) and lots of shopping around. However, it's a bit of a drive to the interstate., and may be bit "small town" for what you like. Another area to research is Mote Ranch which is only about 20 minutes to your work. It's a very suburban like area, with some gated and ungated areas. My husband and I are in the process of buying a short sale here. University Place, Copper Ridge and Chaparral are all very nice. There are NOT a lot of children in the area with middle aged people around. It is mostly middle-upperclass working professionals. Many ameneties are nearby, shopping, dining and close to golfing, the airport and interstate. Mote Ranch also has a very nice pool, and some bike/walking paths..
If the OP loves Jupiter, Bradenton won't cut it for them in terms of entertainment & shopping....

Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
If the OP loves Jupiter, Bradenton won't cut it for them in terms of entertainment & shopping....
What about Sarasota?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 PM

4,850 posts, read 13,500,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowWhere View Post
What about Sarasota?
Ok...the whole University Parkway run from, let's say Lockwood Ridge Road east to the highway is better than anything you'll find in Bradenton; it's the border basically....

There's two malls, Southgate & Sarasota Square plus outlet stores by the highway...boutiques out on St. Armand's, Main Street & Hillview besides scatterings all over town...good resale shops, fabulous antique stores...

As far as food goes, this town certainly does try...haven't found what I, personally, consider good chinese but I set high standards having had the best back east in NYC...Gulf Gate really has a pretty eclectic grouping of restaurants for every taste, including "Munchies" which is, I think open until, yes, it's true "4:20"...the bars over there are a bit on the rough side...Monk's Oyster Bar with "Oysters Monkafellar" are the bomb...The Bijou Cafe has consistently been one of the best restaurants for the 20 years I've been stuck here I haven't yet been to Pacific Rim, around the block from me, but have heard it can hold it's own...

As far as entertainment, SRQ does have McCurdy's Comedy club which is actually a lot of fun, the Van Wezel does it's best to bring in broadway shows/entertainers/music, local theater/live plays are well done. The local music scene has pretty much something for everyone. You can't beat the dollar theaters over on University Parkway & Lockwoodridge for $1.50/day & $2.00/night...those people are making a freaking killing vs. going to the Hollywood 20 on Main St.

What am I missing???

Old 05-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Ok...the whole University Parkway run from, let's say Lockwood Ridge Road east to the highway is better than anything you'll find in Bradenton; it's the border basically....

There's two malls, Southgate & Sarasota Square plus outlet stores by the highway...boutiques out on St. Armand's, Main Street & Hillview besides scatterings all over town...good resale shops, fabulous antique stores...

As far as food goes, this town certainly does try...haven't found what I, personally, consider good chinese but I set high standards having had the best back east in NYC...Gulf Gate really has a pretty eclectic grouping of restaurants for every taste, including "Munchies" which is, I think open until, yes, it's true "4:20"...the bars over there are a bit on the rough side...Monk's Oyster Bar with "Oysters Monkafellar" are the bomb...The Bijou Cafe has consistently been one of the best restaurants for the 20 years I've been stuck here I haven't yet been to Pacific Rim, around the block from me, but have heard it can hold it's own...

As far as entertainment, SRQ does have McCurdy's Comedy club which is actually a lot of fun, the Van Wezel does it's best to bring in broadway shows/entertainers/music, local theater/live plays are well done. The local music scene has pretty much something for everyone. You can't beat the dollar theaters over on University Parkway & Lockwoodridge for $1.50/day & $2.00/night...those people are making a freaking killing vs. going to the Hollywood 20 on Main St.

What am I missing???
You are the coolest person I have met on here. We've decided to go with the east coast of Florida, but I'd recommend Sarasota to anyone -- especially after to talking to some of the super friendly people we've met on here. Florida is a great state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area