Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
I'd be leery to ask them if I could do that too. imho it shows a lack of trust in them, and dedication to the position. I agree with monster.com and career builder being a waste of time, I had the same opinion of them when I was looking a year ago here in WI. The job i have now, which i LOVE, I found the old fashioned way, in the Sunday newspaper's classifieds!!! At the time mr.cool said "I don't know why you even bother looking in the paper. Nobody puts job openings in the newspaper anymore, everything's online now." Ha!
mrs.cool
I have a lack of trust in florida employers; they will not hesitate to tell you like it is....If they can interview me, why can't I interview them?

WI is not Florida; jobs in the SRQ or Manatee Herald are not all that. Craigslist & company websites have more going on than the Sunday paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Since the only reason you could give them for doing such a thing is that you want to see if you like the job well enough to stay,you would plant a seed of doubt in them as to your dedication to staying there until something better comes along.
I agree. I think it's a very bad idea at this point. It should have been brought up before you accepted the job. It only tells them you're not sure the job meet your requirements and, in this economy, there are plenty of people who are very eager to take your place.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 AM

172 posts, read 472,622 times
You are so right! An interview is for both parties... ask some tough questions. Why would you want to work for a company that has different values as you? Yea, its a paycheck, but its better to wait and find the right fit. Best Wishes!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I have a lack of trust in florida employers; they will not hesitate to tell you like it is....If they can interview me, why can't I interview them?

WI is not Florida; jobs in the SRQ or Manatee Herald are not all that. Craigslist & company websites have more going on than the Sunday paper.
Lady, I agree with everything you've said. You have the right perspective. Be up front, let them know what you want and expect out of the position, and they will tell you what they expect. You both have to be satisfied, and be sure the fit is right. You don't want to accept a position, and lose your benefits if it isn't right for you. You have a lot of skill sets, and you'll find something that works for you.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree. I think it's a very bad idea at this point. It should have been brought up before you accepted the job. It only tells them you're not sure the job meet your requirements and, in this economy, there are plenty of people who are very eager to take your place.
Excuse me, I have not accepted the job; it was not offered to me yet...

I'm not sure the world meets my requirements these days...

Reread the original post...200 applications, 5 people interviewed, one of which was myself.

When my xhusband was interviewing for anesthesia positions on our coastal trip around Florida, you better believe that some of the OR's asked him to come in for himself & do a days work. He got no pay but he did get an idea of the flow of the hospital accordingly.
Up in Clearwater, they actually put him to work for 8 hours.

No worries...

Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Lady, I agree with everything you've said. You have the right perspective. Be up front, let them know what you want and expect out of the position, and they will tell you what they expect. You both have to be satisfied, and be sure the fit is right. You don't want to accept a position, and lose your benefits if it isn't right for you. You have a lot of skill sets, and you'll find something that works for you.
Thanx!

Old 05-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, I have not accepted the job; it was not offered to me yet...
You asked for opinions, so I assumed that meant people who had views other than your own. Florida's maximum unemployment benefit is $275 a week, so if you're satisfied with that instead of taking a job that might not be the ideal situation, I wish you a lot of luck.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You asked for opinions, so I assumed that meant people who had views other than your own. Florida's maximum unemployment benefit is $275 a week, so if you're satisfied with that instead of taking a job that might not be the ideal situation, I wish you a lot of luck.
I did ask for opinions; I did not however "get offered the job yet."

I know that the maximum is $275; that's what I'm getting...it's a sure thing for the time being.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I did ask for opinions; I did not however "get offered the job yet."

I know that the maximum is $275; that's what I'm getting...it's a sure thing for the time being.
I understand your hesitance, since I was really hurt by a business owner in 2004. I was offered a position much closer to home with better hours. I asked over and over and over and over (you get the picture) if he was sure I had the job, since I wanted to give my current boss enough notice to find someone else. I also had turned down another opportunity. I did something similar to what you're talking about, which is why I said it might be a bad idea. The owner of the company told me he was expanding, which is why he was hiring. Anyway, without writing a book, I'll tell you briefly what happened. The truth was he planned to fire a man for poor performance. So when I introduced myself on Friday, which I thought would be a nice gesture, that person freaked out, because he suspected I was his replacement. I called the owner who swore to me it was just a mix-up and that he was adding an extra consultant, not firing the other person. He said he'd straighten everything out so nobody would feel uncomfortable. I showed up for work the next week and didn't have a job. (and couldn't find another one for months, had quit my other job so I couldn't collect.... It was a nightmare.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I understand your hesitance, since I was really hurt by a business owner in 2004. I was offered a position much closer to home with better hours. I asked over and over and over and over (you get the picture) if he was sure I had the job, since I wanted to give my current boss enough notice to find someone else. I also had turned down another opportunity. I did something similar to what you're talking about, which is why I said it might be a bad idea. The owner of the company told me he was expanding, which is why he was hiring. Anyway, without writing a book, I'll tell you briefly what happened. The truth was he planned to fire a man for poor performance. So when I introduced myself on Friday, which I thought would be a nice gesture, that person freaked out, because he suspected I was his replacement. I called the owner who swore to me it was just a mix-up and that he was adding an extra consultant, not firing the other person. He said he'd straighten everything out so nobody would feel uncomfortable. I showed up for work the next week and didn't have a job. (and couldn't find another one for months, had quit my other job so I couldn't collect.... It was a nightmare.
Thanx for the story!!
I was in my job for over five years; I knew it was coming as the prior year, they wanted to cut my hours in the summer due to how slow things are in the summer season. But I took a phone call the month prior to my being "replaced" and when I asked the nature of the call for message purposes, the response was " it was about a job." Well, our company does not hire out of the condo association, they hire at the main office so I knew what time of day it was...however, I took it with the notion that "change" is good & I was in a dead end position...

Now, I have the opportunity to either look for a position in the same field, explore other options totally, think about returning to school and or writing a book on my life experiences on my imac...the choices are absolutely endless if I let them be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area