Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,507 times

Advertisements

I really don't mind the goofy lovebugs all that much, but we have a unique issue.

We have a large side yard, and for some reason or another, the lovebugs have designated our yard as their breeding ground.

Now, I am not exaggerating when I say that two days ago after that serious thunderstorm we had during the day, my side yard looked like there a black smoke hovering over it. I mean, have you seen LOST? Yeah, like the Smoke Monster.

I walked the neighborhood and could find no other such instance. Yes, they were around, but not like in our yard. When I let the dog out to pee, she almost had a nervous breakdown, poor thing.

Anyone ever seen this? I mean, I really don't mind them so much, but they sure are a creepy sight in the tens of thousands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:34 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
Luckily I havent been a part of it, however.. my sister has them like that also in her neighborhood. A few spots are "clouded" with the little suckers. Not bad everywhere but random spots. Sorry to hear about your luck-good think is that they'll be gone a week or so..

Old 05-19-2010, 04:09 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,743 times
Just be sure to wash them off your car... their "juices" will eat the paint. We washed our truck twice in one day last week because they were so bad!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
We drove through a swarm of them last week. Reminded me of the mirror image of driving through a snow squall up here!
YUK!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
I felt like I was in a horror movie, and my car was being swarmed by bees.. Not fun. Not to mention, the sun bakes them onto your paint, so you usually have to scrape them off in 90 degree heat..

Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 AM

275 posts, read 715,230 times
I know they look like hell, but those pieces of screen attached to the front of the cars do make the clean up a lot easier. You can buy generic kits at most any autoparts store, and I've even seen them in some grocery stores.

Trust me, few people like disfiguring a car as much as I do (the few here that have met me already know this ) but for these few weeks (twice a year) I'll deal with it. Even I detest washing my car every time I drive it.

I'll also reinforce that you won't want to leave the forward facing surfaces of your car/paint unprotected, definitely put a few layers of wax there, and it will help with the cleaning process.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:22 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Just be sure to wash them off your car... their "juices" will eat the paint. We washed our truck twice in one day last week because they were so bad!
Right on! That is soooo true!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 AM

14 posts, read 44,376 times
The fun part of lovebugs is after they mate the male dies, and the female keeps flying and dragging the male body around til it lays eggs. Nice huh?

Spray some cooking spray on the bumper before a long highway trip, and hose it off after you reach your destination and it helps a lot, that or WD40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area