Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
I have just recently moved to Sarasota from a small mtn. town in Colorado. I had lived in Florida many years ago and vacationed here many years, (before children). I was ready for the heat/humidity, the bugs and yes even the serpents. What I wasn't ready for was the educational system. Two days ago I walked in to the councelors office at my son's new school only to have the councelor ask me to close the door and procceed to tell me that I have basically "made a huge mistake". He had told me that he taught school in many states and that he is here to earn a paycheck. Not to care or not to make a "difference in a child's life". He said the state of Florida doesn't care either. Kids are in school to do "the time". Whether they learn or not is of little concern. I left the school feeling very scared and disappointed. I feel we have moved to a third world country or some place the US has forgotten. Tomorrow is the first day of school and I just want to pick up and go back "home". Can someone tell me something about alternative education in the state, or, at least give me something to want to get up and send my kids tomorrow????
That is just crazy!! You should write to the principal and the board of education. That person should be removed from thier position as soon as possible if they have that kind of attituted. That is exactly why an there should be an independent evaluation of each teacher, and administrative person on a yearly, if not more regular basis. That evaluation should include teachers, administration, the school itself, the student, and the students parents. That will have years of bad consequences if not corrected, that person's influence should be interupted as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
That is just crazy!! You should write to the principal and the board of education. That person should be removed from thier position as soon as possible if they have that kind of attituted. That is exactly why an there should be an independent evaluation of each teacher, and administrative person on a yearly, if not more regular basis. That evaluation should include teachers, administration, the school itself, the student, and the students parents. That will have years of bad consequences if not corrected, that person's influence should be interupted as soon as possible.
I agree. And I believe that person should be fired having an attitude like that and talking that way to a student's parent! There are plenty of out-of-work teachers and people in the school system with better attitudes that would be grateful to have that job!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,427 times
I honestly cannot take this post is for real. It is too incredible. If this is a legitimate post I feel sorry for you and your circumstances but it looks like another of those posts meant to inflame.Sorry

Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 PM

27 posts, read 93,323 times
This is really hard to believe. What school are you referring too?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
I honestly cannot take this post is for real. It is too incredible. If this is a legitimate post I feel sorry for you and your circumstances but it looks like another of those posts meant to inflame.Sorry
You know, I think you are right. Only one post, and they didn't name the school or anything. Just an inflammatory post made to discourage people here.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 PM

67 posts, read 159,380 times
This was not an inflammatory post. The school is Booker High. The councelor is Mr. W. I was honestly seeking out some advice from some folks that live here and just as I received at the school, this is what I get. I have spent the entire day drafting letters to the Sarasota school board and state of Florida. I am beside myself with the circumstance. I will now sign off this post and look to others for advice. Thanks anyway.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
If you're drafting letters, write one to Shirley Brown over at the school board. She is generally most helpful. If Mr. W has these kind of views than it's probably time for him to find a different profession.

You might also want to check here for school ratings: School Accountability Report... Booker is on the list and is currently ranked last in the district. It has a fantastic art program but it's a tough school. I went there as a kid.

Good luck with it.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 AM

440 posts, read 1,052,427 times
Default Sorry dmccright

dmccright
Please accept my sincere apology for having jumped on you. I have heard some negative things about Booker (which is the feeder school for where my condo is). We have had a problem on this message board with phoney inflammatory posts. I hope you get some help and satisfaction in dealing with this burnt out educator. Keep us posted
joeyddog

Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
dmccright
Please accept my sincere apology for having jumped on you. I have heard some negative things about Booker (which is the feeder school for where my condo is). We have had a problem on this message board with phoney inflammatory posts. I hope you get some help and satisfaction in dealing with this burnt out educator. Keep us posted
joeyddog
Yes, please accept mine too. I, too, have heard negative about Booker. I do hope you get help and keep us posted. I don't think this educator's attitude is anywhere near the norm here in Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area