Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:37 PM

475 posts, read 901,081 times

Advertisements

Anybody visited Myakka State Park? I told my daughter when we move there we would go looking for gators in the wild. Would this be a good place? Anybody take the boat or tram rides? How about the treetop walkway?Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,971 times
I Love Myakka!
Yes - it is a great place to see Gators lounging in the sun.
Hanging out in water with Herons, coexisting just fine.
Herons feeding (captured a great "battle" between a Heron & a fish - heron won & had a good lunch. The photo is now hanging in a gallery.).

Just a really fun, interesting and educational place. And the Rangers are terrific - willing to share information about the wildlife in the park.

The treetop walkway was kinda boring, but it takes littel effort & no money, so why not. Maybe when You do it there will be more to see.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Anybody visited Myakka State Park? I told my daughter when we move there we would go looking for gators in the wild. Would this be a good place? Anybody take the boat or tram rides? How about the treetop walkway?Thanks in advance.
You can see gators in the wild in just about any inland body of water in FL, but you will find lots of them at Myakka. We haven't done the boat ride, and the treetop walkway has been added since we were there last. We did canoe down the river a number of years ago (the only time I ever got my wife and kids in a canoe in FL). The river below the lake has lots of gators in it, but has a lot of people in canoes and kayaks too. If you can stand getting that close to them, it's a great way to see them. There are also ~40 miles of trails for hiking and camping, and a regular campground as well.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
This is a GREAT place to go! One season I worked for the airboat rides, this is awesome. I have nothing but the highest recommendations for this park. Go, you won't regret it!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:14 PM

70 posts, read 288,152 times
Love Myakka. Use to take our boat down there when we lived on Longboat Key in the early 80's to fish for largemouth bass. On one trip I got my lure hung up in brush along the shoreline and had to pull myself under some overhanging tree limbs to try and release it when I noticed a gator watching the entire show from the water close to the hung up lure. So while processing the problem at hand,forget lure or possibly lose hand in process(it was one of my favorite lures) it was decided for me by my wife in the back seat whispering urgently to back the boat to h*ll up NOW! I figured she wasn't ready do first aid ,drive the boat back to the dock,load it and take me to the hospital all over a $3.00 lure. But it was not the lure/gator that was her immediate concern it was the very large hornet's nest that was directly over my head and getting closer as I pulled on the limb trying to reach the no longer important in the scheme of things lure. I slowly released the limb and back the boat out without it turning into a Saturday morning cartoon show episode.
We took some great pictures of the nest and now whenever we break out the family photos and come across the picture we laugh our heads off,however the laughing bit may be caused by the frozen concoction that helps "us" hang on(reps to Jimmy).
Sorry, slid off topic. Yes, check out the Myakka and also the Peace River a little ways south down by Port Charlotte.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM

475 posts, read 901,081 times
Sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks!

Old 05-23-2010, 06:01 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereznm View Post
Love Myakka. Use to take our boat down there when we lived on Longboat Key in the early 80's to fish for largemouth bass. On one trip I got my lure hung up in brush along the shoreline and had to pull myself under some overhanging tree limbs to try and release it when I noticed a gator watching the entire show from the water close to the hung up lure. So while processing the problem at hand,forget lure or possibly lose hand in process(it was one of my favorite lures) it was decided for me by my wife in the back seat whispering urgently to back the boat to h*ll up NOW! I figured she wasn't ready do first aid ,drive the boat back to the dock,load it and take me to the hospital all over a $3.00 lure. But it was not the lure/gator that was her immediate concern it was the very large hornet's nest that was directly over my head and getting closer as I pulled on the limb trying to reach the no longer important in the scheme of things lure. I slowly released the limb and back the boat out without it turning into a Saturday morning cartoon show episode.
We took some great pictures of the nest and now whenever we break out the family photos and come across the picture we laugh our heads off,however the laughing bit may be caused by the frozen concoction that helps "us" hang on(reps to Jimmy).
Sorry, slid off topic. Yes, check out the Myakka and also the Peace River a little ways south down by Port Charlotte.
That Frozen COncotion always makes life threatening events seem like fun!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,249 times
My son and I did Myakka this past March (airboat, canopy bridge and tower at the end of the canopy). We had a great time.
Some advice: don't go right after a heavy rain- water level might be too high so the alligators are more submerged. Buy airboat tickets earlier- they sell out quickly. DO NOT park at entrance and try to walk to airboats- way too far to walk- there's parking at both airboats and near canopy. There is a nice snack bar near the airboat area and restrooms.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Bring bug spray.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
we are visiting first part of June--think it will be too buggy/humid to really enjoy???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area