Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,202 times

Advertisements

The oil slick is hundreds of miles away. I find it difficult to understand how one could smell oil on our coast. One source recently said there were tar balls on Siesta Beach!!!! I could be totally wrong and if so, I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 03:03 PM

192 posts, read 496,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Schweitzer View Post
The oil slick is hundreds of miles away. I find it difficult to understand how one could smell oil on our coast.
I live in Massachusetts. There is a wildfire in Quebec over 400 miles away. We smell & see the smoke. It is not "something else". It's all over the news.
Can you now believe that people in Sarasota, Bradenton, etc. can smell the oil?

I posted on another thread about the oil "spill" and wondered where the outrage was. I suspected 'denial' was one reason for the seeming lack of action among American citizens. That has become all too evident in these threads. They are burning the oil. At certain times you will smell it. Because you don't smell it doesn't mean it isn't so. It's time to face the facts that your beautiful shores are at risk.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:06 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
I live in Massachusetts. There is a wildfire in Quebec over 400 miles away. We smell & see the smoke. It is not "something else". It's all over the news.
Can you now believe that people in Sarasota, Bradenton, etc. can smell the oil?

I posted on another thread about the oil "spill" and wondered where the outrage was. I suspected 'denial' was one reason for the seeming lack of action among American citizens. That has become all too evident in these threads. They are burning the oil. At certain times you will smell it. Because you don't smell it doesn't mean it isn't so. It's time to face the facts that your beautiful shores are at risk.
Doesn't it simply amaze you how ignorant some people are.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 AM

8 posts, read 10,670 times
First of all, I'm in central FL, so I can't attest to what you're referring to. When I lived up north, however, there was a severe swamp fire in NC and the smoke and haze from that wafted hundreds of miles north- that I can attest to personally. So it's possible that one could pick up the scent/haze from something far into the Gulf. Again, I'm inland, so I'm not sayin' it did/didn't happen, just sayin' it's possible.

Out of curiosity, I did some checking and the nearest residuals from the BP calamity are roughly 100+ miles west of the SRQ coastal area. NOAA reports that the tarballs are caught in a clockwise moving eddy and gulf winds are shifting west, which means that they'll more than likely circle around and follow the trajectory back toward AL, with estimates of more oil washing ashore there.

My best guestimate is that SRQ folks may notice some intermittent odor and haze, especially as the chemical treatments lodged in the tarballs "cook off" in the sun and are absorbed into the atmosphere... these low-lying particulates that evaporate and are carried via precipitous bodies, then dumped back into the surface during a good rain shower could potentially carry some residuals closer to the coast.

Here's a link to the map I'm referring to: http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/book_shelf/2101_SOFM24-2010-05-31-1900.pdf (broken link)

as well as the site (scroll all the way down to look at other maps): Deepwater Horizon Incident, Gulf of Mexico | Recent and Historical Incidents | Emergency Response | NOAA's National Ocean Service Office of Response and Restoration

Sarasota was voted one of the greenest cities in FL, and I'm looking to buy property in the keys, so I say this with hopes that my can of "Spill-B-Gone" works and FL doesn't see any of BP's aftermath. I also hope that the gov'nah reserves a bit of that $25M BP apology money (Sorry Charlie money, I call it) in case we Floridians have issues to address from this mess in the future.

Meanwhile, let's hope that our bare feet are the only things to ever hit our beautiful white sandy beaches.

P.s. Everyone says Siesta Key is the #2 beach in the US... but if the #1 beach was in HI, then wouldn't Siesta Key still be the #1 beach in the contiguous US? <=THAT should be the PR strategy IMO.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Seems that a lot of people have not been watching/listening to the news. Enironmentalists complained about air pollution from burning the oil so that process of 'clean up' was stopped. Seems that they would rather have destroyed wet lands than having some some in the air for a few days.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:56 AM

12 posts, read 32,244 times
The "smoke" came back at at my place in Gulf Gate late last evening (Mon 6/7/10) about 1145 and was quite strong for the first few hours. I noticed my eyes burning slightly and some breathing discomfort, finally got up and took Singulair. My wife usually can't smell anything but she identified the distinctive fuel smell right away. A recon of the neighborhood showed no local sources. It is not so bad this AM and hopefully will gradually diminish. Anybody else notice it?

Last edited by fredquick; 06-08-2010 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: mistake typing data

Old 06-08-2010, 08:27 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredquick View Post
The "smoke" came back at at my place in Gulf Gate late last evening (Mon 6/7/10) about 1145 and was quite strong for the first few hours. I noticed my eyes burning slightly and some breathing discomfort, finally got up and took Singulair. My wife usually can't smell anything but she identified the distinctive fuel smell right away. A recon of the neighborhood showed no local sources. It is not so bad this AM and hopefully will gradually diminish. Anybody else notice it?
Nope, no odd air smell down in Venice for me. However, yesterday was an Air Quality Alert day. All people with breathing problems were told to stay inside if possible, due to the high "dust" particulates.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM

183 posts, read 454,431 times
For the past 2 days/nights I have been noticing strong smells here in St. Pete.
At night when there is little wind, the smell is a heavy burned crayon scent that seems to hang in the air.

Last night, when the winds were blowing onshore - it smelled of acrid-chemicals. There was also smoke in the air. it's becoming quite noticeable.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Tx for the tip, Col. I checked airnow.gov and was shocked to see that we are in the center of the orange bullseye. Dang! I always thot of Sarasota as having excellent air quality. Wonder if this is caused by a local industry or just onshore flow of BP's oil emissions? ...or maybe it has drifted down from Tampa?

Fuel odor still present here in GG, not as bad as last nite.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Seems that a lot of people have not been watching/listening to the news. Enironmentalists complained about air pollution from burning the oil so that process of 'clean up' was stopped. Seems that they would rather have destroyed wet lands than having some some in the air for a few days.
TX d4g4m for the info. I looked all over for some daily burning schedules but found nothing and no indication that they stopped it. Glad to see any other info u located. As a long-time asthma sufferer, my vote would be for more intensive skimming, mopping and sorbing w/ proper disposal, and less burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area