Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM

28 posts, read 208,755 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've posted before and would appreciate any and all info, and please feel free to express your honest opinions, as this forum has been such a blessing in regards to getting the info, both good, bad and the ugly!! Our home has sold in Webster Groves Missouri and we do not wish to purchase another home right away, we our opting to rent for 6 mos. I have narrowed it down to 2 communities and my husband still goes back and forth about it and mentions Ponte Vedra Florida to avoid the crime within the city!!!! (So frustrating) Anyways.....thought about Georgetown Grove, but read some pretty bad reviews from past tenants, and heard the area is so-so, thought about Fenwick Village, which is near the Berwick Plantation, brand new community, super nice apartments and the staff has been super nice to me during this transition, but I understand it's on the West Side, and not too sure about the area, read that a youth minister just murdered his wife in this area, so this is not something I Like to hear. The other area is the Oaks at Wilmington Island, was told that Wilmington Island would be very safe and it's quite nice, the just increased the rent to almost 1000.00, which is fine, but I'd rather not throw away more than 900.00 per mo if I can avoid.

Please help, and please do give me your thoughts of both communities, and the surrounding area in regards to crime and shopping. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
If I were given the choice between the west side of Chatham County, the Georgetown area or Wilmington Island, I wouldn't even have to think about it. Wilmington Island. There are several apartment complexes there. You might find something a little less expensive.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:18 PM

Thanks for you input, I was advised before about Wilmington Island, and we do like the apartment, just was wondering about Fenwick as their units are super nice and they won't charge us extra due to the short lease. What's up with the west side?

Old 06-27-2007, 06:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
There are a couple of apartment complexes on Wilmington, and some brand new ones on Whitmarsh Island. Whitmarsh is a little closer into town. There is supermarkets, big drugstores, banks, doctors and dentists on the two islands. Lots of great places to eat too. Even a Walmart. The combined area of the two islands would compare with a small city. It's really a great place to live and it's on the way to the beach if that matters to you. A very active YMCA and all the major churches.

The west side has is fairly new in development. There aren't the established businesses out there yet. It's hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. (can you tell that I live on the East side?) From time to time you will get some weird odors from the paper plants, but that will depend on which way the wind is blowing.

A lot will depend on where you need to work.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:26 PM

thanks again for the input, as for working, this isn't an issue, my husband travels between 5 states, therefore he is on the road Monday thru Friday. I was more concerned with safety and ammenities more than anything. And it appears that Wilmington Island is the way to go, as some people have advised me in this direction before.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 PM

16 posts, read 56,813 times
Paper Plant?? Where is that exactly?

ASGDRP

Old 06-28-2007, 04:14 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
There are two. One is next to downtown, the other is four or five miles up river. And yes, there are days, especially in winter, when the smell gets stuck over the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: