U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,953,598 times

Advertisements

There's no perfect place. Believe me, I've tried to find it. I thought moving to Florida would be better than struggling through the cold New England winters. Actually, it is! I haven't shoveled snow or driven on an icy road in 16 years.

OTOH, I would prefer a less humid climate, so I advise staying in New Mexico if you're bothered by high humidity. It can trigger a lot of ailments like allergies and respiratory problems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM

767 posts, read 2,095,166 times
If you mix in 8000 ft altitude with the "L" word, I'll take the sweat any day over the bloody nose, cracked lips and panting.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 PM

41,176 posts, read 50,967,054 times
God flipped a switch, a week or so ago, and we're loving it. Our northern friends are already bitching about being cold, but we are in weather heaven.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 AM

6 posts, read 17,319 times
I lived in Savannah for three summers that we really couldn't afford more than 1-2 hours of air conditioning every day (we usually saved this for times when we were trying to cool down from physical work.) You DO get acclimated to the humidity, believe it or not, but the secret is you can't use the AC or go into somewhere with heavy AC frequently or it won't happen. For most people who can afford it, they would rather just have AC and thus never acclimate. I would estimate it takes 1-2 weeks of no AC to acclimate, though it's not something you really become comfortable with but rather you learn to accept it. It IS worth not dreading going outside, but you never quite get used to going straight from wet to sweaty after showers.

Also gentlearts, I don't know if you've had a winter in Savannah yet but the humidity will make it pretty miserable again by November, especially if you live in an old victorian. It DOES get cold down there - we had our pipes freeze a couple times in the winter.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 AM

4,527 posts, read 7,813,154 times
One thing many people don't quite understand is that when it gets cooler here, the humidity does go down. That's why our lips are chapped and our skin is dry in the winter. It may be a tad more humid than further north, but for Savannah, it's our dry time.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM

41,176 posts, read 50,967,054 times
We sure are enjoying it now. Today is the most perfect day there could be. We have not been here in the winter yet, but I doubt it's very winterish compared to what we're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: