Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

I'm from Massachusetts

and I think I'm about ready for a major shake up in my life. For some reason Georgia keeps calling out to me when I think of places to move. So I thought I'd check out a few spots that would be welcoming to a guy from Mass.

Savannah sticks out for me

but as most people here I'm sure have asked..

where is a safer location to move?

What's rent look like down there for the average?
(I'm not looking to spend much, perhaps 500/550 with everything included if possible). (and how realistic is it to find such a place).

What's Car insurance look like?

What's the crime look like?

Sorry if this is all a bother, I found this forum via google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,153,827 times
You're unlikely to find a reliably safe apartment for $500 especially if you want dishwasher, washer, and dryer in your place and to live alone. $550 is probably doable if you can live without the appliances. They're both doable if you can stand a roommate.

Seriously the rent on a one bedroom apartment is too high for the city's size in my opinion, but if you rent now when the tourists are mostly gone maybe you can get a deal.

As for safe neighborhoods to rent "the Islands" (someone else will have to list all the places this includes) and Southside on Abercorn Street (you want the places out by the malls, but from everything I've heard it can get loud at night).

Old 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM

11 posts, read 26,178 times
The rent for my entire house downtown is 650, and the location isn't THAT bad.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 6,976 times
If you travel a little more than an hour south, Brunswick and the Golden Isles is a very affordable area. You can rent a 1 bdrm. apt.for about $560/month--gated community on a lake with all sorts of amenities, in a good area. Saint Simon's Island is a bit more expensive-it's the beach town, and anything affordable is old. An hour north of Jacksonville, FL-- you might consider the location ideal since it's midway between Savannah and Florida.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 AM

6 posts, read 19,318 times
There are most definitely areas in Savannah proper where you can get a 1br for $500-600 with appliances. The one I know of off the top of my head is the small complex across from the Food Lion at Waters and Eisenhower, but other complexes in that area will be similar. You can do a 1br within walking distance of downtown for less than $800. The area from Victory to DeRenne is cute, relatively safe, and affordable - you can find 2brs in that area from the $800s. Whatever you do, do not live south of Anderson and north of Victory, west of MLK ever, or east of E Broad (until south of Victory.) Crime isn't a big issue unless you are downtown, but that's mostly people drunk mugging tourists after 1am. The other areas I mentioned are heavy on drug related crime (we had multiple robberies - one of our own house while we were home - and three shootings - two fatal - on our block in 11 months.) Honestly if you want to move to Georgia, move to Atlanta.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:31 PM

50,136 posts, read 63,553,972 times
where is a safer location to move? Do you want in the city, or a suburb?

What's rent look like down there for the average? Cheaper than Massachusetts(I'm not looking to spend much, perhaps 500/550 with everything included if possible). (and how realistic is it to find such a place).

What's Car insurance look like? Our's doubled from Ohio, so maybe more expensive than MA, too.
What's the crime look like?
Compared to what? You would obviously look around and check out the vibes, but most places are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area