Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 AM

244 posts, read 643,834 times

Advertisements

OK, I am seriously wimpy when it comes to high humidity. I found the mid-atlantic to be extremely humid and would be b*tchy most of the summer. Last year I spent a week each in Savannah and NOLA in October and found it to be stifling.

I'm in a dry climate now and really loving it, BUT, I am now considering a move back to the southeast which involves humidityx100000!

Is there any advice you can give me on acclimating to the humidity? I'm serious. I just went through an acclimation here in Santa Fe, NM, (high altitude and very dry, it took time to get over the dizzy spells and bloody noses and dry eyes but I mastered a plan!)

I'm curious to know if there's something you can do to better manage in high humidity. I guess this is mostly posed to those people who aren't originally from the Savannah-type climate. Did you do something specific to adjust? Become nocturnal?! Abuse your AC? Meditate on accepting the humidity? Only get your heart pumpin' in the early AM or late PM? Anything suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Yikes, we moved to Savannah at the end of May and I believe they had the hottest summer here in awhile. I positively wilt in the humidity, so we just stayed in the air conditioning all summer. Now, we can open our windows at night, but still cannot spend much time outside during the day.
To answer you question...it apparently takes more than 4 months to acclimate because we haven't yet.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:00 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
If you find a way, be sure to let everyone know.

The more time that you spend in air conditioning, the worse the humidity will feel when you do go out. It's the contrast that really blows your mind.

I don't think that you ever adjust to it. You just learn to do the best you can. Just keep telling yourself that you could be living in an area where you can't get out of the house because of the snow.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I agree. Sometimes I think that our summers are just about as limiting as northern winters are. The only thing that helps is the fact that we CAN go out to the beach if we want to. Even there it's too hot in the middle of the day.

If you work from home, you can just stay inside during the hottest hours. Early, early mornings are good for some things and late afternoons are tolerable. If you have the luxury of being nocturnal and can develop a social life around it, then you'll fine.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,055 times
No answer, I grew up in NO and now live here.....feels normal haha

Old 09-22-2010, 02:22 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
I've grown up in the south my whole life and Savannah for most of it. I'll tell you that you never really get used to it and yes, it is especially bad after being inside with the air condition all day and walking out into the sticky mess. You just learn to deal with it I suppose. It's a part of life here in the summer.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 PM

291 posts, read 1,061,553 times
I just stay inside... a lot. =/

Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I agree. Sometimes I think that our summers are just about as limiting as northern winters are. The only thing that helps is the fact that we CAN go out to the beach if we want to. Even there it's too hot in the middle of the day.

If you work from home, you can just stay inside during the hottest hours. Early, early mornings are good for some things and late afternoons are tolerable. If you have the luxury of being nocturnal and can develop a social life around it, then you'll fine.
Why live like that? I would gladly take a few months of cold weather over the horrific heat and humidity.

OP, stay in New Mexico.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Ahh, but then this time of the year comes and we all remember why we put up with it. Highs in the 70's. Lows in the 50's with LOW humidity!! YAY!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 PM

175 posts, read 600,253 times
I've lived here all my life and I've never gotten used to the weather here. Summers have always been unbearable for me. This past summer was so unbearable to the point that I have amnesia about what "cold weather" feels like.

I agree with the person that said that our summers are as limiting as the northern winters and snow. Besides work, home, and the occasional shopping and outings, I felt like I was trapped in my home because it was so miserable outside with all of the heat and humidity.

This week has definitely been a relief. I'm looking forward to going to the beach and also shopping downtown in the much cooler weather ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: