Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:25 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am researching the Western Savannah area. I am considering a move there and something that keeps popping up is the sketchy-ness of the public school system.

Whether or not I decide to move could quite litterally come down to if my kids could go to good quality schools. We're happy with their current schools and would rather stay the same or get better....but definitely not worse. (And before anyone suggests....I cannot afford to send all three of them to private school. It's not an option.)

I was looking at Pooler/Bloomingdale area because I figured they - being smaller towns away from Savannah - would have their own school systems. But looks like the Savannah-Chatham County school system covers the entire county.

I was looking at West Chatham Elementary/Middle School. But looks like the area I was thinking of moving is served by Groves High School. (Is Groves a good HS??)

I have heard Richmond Hill suggested....little far from my potential employer....but anyway...

So what are the best PUBLIC Elementary, Middle, and High Schools in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Why don't you do a search of this particular forum using the search tab? The subject has been discussed at length on several threads.

I'm not sure that Groves is a great school, but I haven't heard it's particularly bad, either. There are other options in the way of charter schools, which have been discussed here too.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
My definition of a good school is in preparing a student to get into an elite "Top 25 US News School" My wife is a prof. at Armstrong and almost all the faculty's kids there attend the public schools in Savannah with Savannah Arts being the high school of choice. Ellis which is a Montessori school the school is an excellent school and covers k-8. [SIZE=2][/SIZE]Several of the profs whose kids have graduated have went to Duke, Northwestern, Virginia, and North Carolina. If the school can prepare them to get into these Universities then it is doing something right.

Don't let the Arts requirement and talent required get to you. At my high school in Ohio we had the same amount of Arts opportunity as at Savannah Arts. You need a 3.0 gpa and grades of 85 or higher on your 7th and 8th grade report cards. This cuts all of the problem children out of the school and allows material to be taught at a faster and higher level than at the normal high schools. Kids are required to take two arts classes a day. My daughter has Chorus and music theory. She loves the classes as they require no homework and are a break from the stress of say a math or biology class. The school has an A/B day schedule meaning the kids go to 1/2 of their classes on MW and the other half on TT. On Friday they attend all classes for 1/2 period.

The Arts Academy has been the #1 public school in Ga. for two years in a row for highest ACT/SAT score averages.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,133 times
Garrison K-8 is the arts feeder into SAA and is heavily supported by SCAD
Garrison Elementary School, Savannah, Georgia (http://www.sccpss.com/Schools/Elementary+Schools/Garrison+Elementary/ - broken link)
Bartlett Middle has the Center for Advanced Learning
I have a child in Bartlett and Garrison

West Chatham Preparatory Academy ( charter high school in Pooler) is under application

http://site.westchathamprepacademy.com/Home.php (broken link)

The new Godley Station K-8 is in Pooler/Port Wentworth
Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools

Oglethorpe Charter School
the first start-up charter middle school in the state of Georgia.
Oglethorpe Charter School

My 2 oldest are graduates of Oglethorpe Charter School and SAA
and now are in the Honors Program at UGA

Old 02-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I'm not sure that Groves is a great school, but I haven't heard it's particularly bad, either.
After talking with a realtor yesterday it is obvious that Groves is a horrible school. His exact words were, "You do NOT want your child to attend WR Groves High School."

He pretty much said our best bet would be to avoid the Savannah Chatham Co school system entirely. And instead we should probably go for Effingham Co or Richmond Hill. After looking at the test scores I'm inclined to agree.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Savannah Arts Academy is the best public high school in Georgia right now they are #1 in the SAT score average for all students. Enroll them in Ellis and then get them into SAA this is the path I would choose, don't let people fool you about the school system being horrible. It has its bad spots but also it's roses.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
I may be wrong, but I think that your children will be assigned to a school that serves the district in which you live. After you are assigned, then you can apply for a transfer to the school of your choice, if there are openings.

The District lines are often redrawn, so check with your realtor.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
All the public schools on the islands are VERY good. The new Islands High School is a great addition.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I may be wrong, but I think that your children will be assigned to a school that serves the district in which you live.
This is how it works in most places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
After you are assigned, then you can apply for a transfer to the school of your choice, if there are openings.

The District lines are often redrawn, so check with your realtor.
Two statements that aren't very reassuring.

Thanks. I have what I need.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
All the public schools on the islands are VERY good. The new Islands High School is a great addition.

It will easily be the 2nd best high school in the system, and within a couple of years will be close to Savannah Arts with kids who want a more traditional high school vs. a artsy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area