Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:48 PM

185 posts, read 567,109 times

Advertisements

After hearing everyones response on the bugs I'm thinking that it's not as bad as I was told it is (i guess if it was that bad more people would complain about it.)

We are actually looking forward to the slower pace down there. Around here we can't get one thing done before hearing someone ask "Ok, what are you going to do next?" It's very tiring and annoying.

While I don't mind living in the city my boyfriend hates the idea. Are there any other towns that are close to Savannah (I would love to live close by) and have fairly low crime rates (one of the major reasons we picked Pooler)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 10:52 PM

25 posts, read 128,707 times
ampetry,
Most crime in Pooler has to do with DUI while driving on a suspended license and speeding. There are some business burguleries and home break-ins. Hardly ever hear about violent crimes. The population is becomming more diverse with many hispanics moving to the area. If you are looking for entertainment, you will need to drive to Savannah.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 AM

Can anyone tell me about Thunderbolt? I've been doing more research and it seems like a nice place. It's closer to Savannah, it's on the south side (that's a good thing to me) and it appears to have low crime. Is there anything I should know about this town? I've started to put together a small binder that will contain information on Savannah and the surrounding areas so I would like to get as much info as possible that way when we come down to visit we'll know exactly what to look for.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Thunderbolt is a very small little town on one of the big rivers on the way to the beach. You will have the choice between old houses with little charm or condos. The area across the river is Whitmarsh and Wilmington Islands, which are much better places to live. Thunderbolt has some political problems. Nothing serious, but it can be irritating for those living there.

One thing that your BF must realize is Savannah is not like a city in PA. For example, Savannah City limits stop exactly where Thunderbolt starts on the East and on the West, does the same thing with Garden City. The residential areas are within the City limits and stretch for miles and miles. It's not a city with multitudes of high rise buildings. In fact, we have a restriction that limits the height of buildings. There's little difference in City and County in our area except in taxes. The Police Department is a combined force of City and County. What is his objection to living in a city?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 AM

He likes to have space around him and in PA living in the city means that everyone is living right on top of each other. Neither of us like the idea of having no privacy because there are neighbors every where and they are watching your every move. But if the "city" is very similar to the county then that should not be a problem.

I'm just so anxious to get out of here, which makes me worry that my better judgment is being clouded by my complete and total disgust in where I live. My boyfriend and I have been together for a long time and he has always been the one that wanted to do things without thinking about it before hand. I, on the other hand, have always been the one to thoroughly think things through before making a decision (which drives him crazy). Now I find myself wanting to just jump into this move and hope for the best with the idea that I don't want to look back and wish I would have just done it. He's the one who wants to think it through and make sure every little thing is absolutely perfect before moving. I guess I figure that if I do what I usually do and research and organize and collect as much info as I possibly can (I also make pro/con lists and he hates that too), then maybe I will put his fears at ease and maybe we'll be able to finally fulfill our dreams of leaving this rat hole of a town.

Hopefully with all the info you wonderful people have given me I will be able to convince him that now is the right time to make the move and that we have chosen a truly amazing place. Thank you for your time and input, it really has helped a great deal!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 AM

It will be easy to find a house on a lot that's at least 100ft across. Some of the newer areas are jamming them in on 60 ft lots, but usually in the suburbs there is space between houses enough for shrubbery to form a barrier. I have a 120 ft lot and I can't even see the house on the North side. I don't even know what the people that live two houses down look like. They sure don't know me.

In the Historic and Victorian Districts, the houses are either row houses or jammed together. You won't be living there unless you have buckets of money.

Now, I understand exactly what you mean about wanting to leave a "rat hole of a place." I don't blame you. But this will be a gigantic change. Are there any places within the same general area that might be acceptable to you both? There are areas in Savannah that could also be considered rat holes, but I am sure that you won't consider them.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 AM

It's great to hear that there is room between houses (although we'll be renting in the beginning). We know we can't afford to live the Historic and Victorian Districts but we wouldn't want to even if we could afford it. We just want to live close by so we can go there regularly. Especially since I'm hoping to work at the mall at one of the makeup departments (I'm an aspiring makeup artist).

"Now, I understand exactly what you mean about wanting to leave a "rat hole of a place." I don't blame you. But this will be a gigantic change." -Padgett2

We both really want and NEED a big change. We're really unhappy here and always have been. I just want to move sooner rather than later. We both like thunderbolt. It seems like it would be a good choice based on statistics, but I'm not sure that we should follow statistics since they're different on every web site. Are there any areas that you would recommend for a young couple that wants to live close to Savannah, close to the mall and isn't extremely expensive? Any apartments you would recommend?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM

There are two big Malls, The Oglethorpe and The Savannah. Both are on Abercorn Street south of Derenne Ave. There are numerous apartment complexes near either one of them.

I believe that there is a website that lists apartments, rental agents, etc. Try a google search. I'm not very skill at that so I can't tell you exactly how.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 AM

I'm hoping to work at Oglethorpe Mall. I made up pages containing info on several different apartments and used an online map to see where they are in comparison to the malls (most of the ones I like are close by). Unfortunately, I know how easy it is to find really great looking pictures of something that in real life is run down and dirty. Of course apartment owners are going to put up pictures that make the apartments look as beautiful and charming as possible. Hopefully we'll be able to come down and visit as soon as possible that way we can find out for ourselves without relying on pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: