U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 AM

11 posts, read 18,092 times

Advertisements

First up - thanks to Al, Ellie and Padgett et al for the great info and posts over time. Really interesting and a great addition to my VERY extensive research and a recent visit to Savannah.

I am relocating to Savannah with my family in 10 weeks. I will be a professor at SCAD, and can buy a house there in Ardsley Park - and the cost of living is LOWER by far in Georgia than Sydney Australia [now one of the world's most expensive cities].

Anyway - it's a great job and a great opportunity to experience a different way of life [like separate bedrooms for our three boys!]

My real questions are these:
Insurance - people recommend a broker - would that be "mixed" policies [2 cars and home] or is it better to go with one supplier [we do that here] and get a multipolicy discount?

Cable - Dish seems better - right? Any recommendations?

Local phone & Cell - any thoughts? Is it good to maybe get AT&T to do cable [dish] and phone as well for a discount? People I know in the US HATE Comcast - but I'm open minded....

Home alarm - is the ADT service / response on there pretty good?

Buying a used car - I will get a second car [truck] - so you pay state tax on the sale - what if I buy it in Texas & ship it in?

I'll take the worries I see on the forum about crime in my stride - crime is bound to happen anywhere. Being more uptight about crime seems a result of the expectation of NO crime [people moving in from other situations] or being scared of people carrying guns [which let's face it - isn't going to stop anytime soon].

My area in Sydney is pretty upscale these days - yet I live 2 blocks from the local methadone clinic. People shoot ice/meth/heroin in the park bushes nearby - but they just fade into the scenery - there is NEVER the sense that you would be at risk from people. Most of them just live on the welfare state and get high and squabble amongst themselves. Every house in my street has bars on ALL of the windows. Noone would even THINK about leaving anything in a locked car - it's just city smarts - so I figure that I'll be OK with my antenna up in Savannah.

Also we have dogs - 2 Staffordshire terriers - like little pit bulls - they are sweet, and yes they will be your friend for food - but they have great instincts - and a sudden noise in their area gets growls. They also look like they will take your leg off - so maybe a better breed to have on the doorstep.

Anyway - thanks for any replies - looking forward to the move, the Southern charm [which is so very real] and a bit of paddling on the waterways :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,743,413 times
I'll try to help. My answers will be embedded in the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surryhills View Post
First up - thanks to Al, Ellie and Padgett et al for the great info and posts over time. Really interesting and a great addition to my VERY extensive research and a recent visit to Savannah.

I am relocating to Savannah with my family in 10 weeks. I will be a professor at SCAD, and can buy a house there in Ardsley Park - and the cost of living is LOWER by far in Georgia than Sydney Australia [now one of the world's most expensive cities].

Anyway - it's a great job and a great opportunity to experience a different way of life [like separate bedrooms for our three boys!]

Insurance - people recommend a broker - would that be "mixed" policies [2 cars and home] or is it better to go with one supplier [we do that here] and get a multipolicy discount? Shop around & go with a provider that offers the lowest COMBINED price. The multipolicy discount is the way to go.

Cable - Dish seems better - right? Any recommendations? Depends on what you want. Comcast isn't THAT bad & will offer you a better rate when you bundle cable, internet & home phone vs. AT&T and the satellite companies.

Local phone & Cell - any thoughts? Is it good to maybe get AT&T to do cable [dish] and phone as well for a discount? People I know in the US HATE Comcast - but I'm open minded.... See above. For cell, I would suggest Verizon or T-Mobile. Sprint and AT&T suck.

Home alarm - is the ADT service / response on there pretty good? Can't answer.

Buying a used car - I will get a second car [truck] - so you pay state tax on the sale - what if I buy it in Texas & ship it in? Why? You will pay 6.5% sales tax in TX, or pay 7% here in GA. The difference is minor & would be depleted once you paid to transport the new vehicle here.

I'll take the worries I see on the forum about crime in my stride - crime is bound to happen anywhere. Being more uptight about crime seems a result of the expectation of NO crime [people moving in from other situations] or being scared of people carrying guns [which let's face it - isn't going to stop anytime soon].

My area in Sydney is pretty upscale these days - yet I live 2 blocks from the local methadone clinic. People shoot ice/meth/heroin in the park bushes nearby - but they just fade into the scenery - there is NEVER the sense that you would be at risk from people. Most of them just live on the welfare state and get high and squabble amongst themselves. Every house in my street has bars on ALL of the windows. Noone would even THINK about leaving anything in a locked car - it's just city smarts - so I figure that I'll be OK with my antenna up in Savannah. Common sense will carry you through most anywhere!

Also we have dogs - 2 Staffordshire terriers - like little pit bulls - they are sweet, and yes they will be your friend for food - but they have great instincts - and a sudden noise in their area gets growls. They also look like they will take your leg off - so maybe a better breed to have on the doorstep. A word of caution....many insurance companies may not cover you because of these "aggressive breeds". The US has been "anti-pit bull" for some time now.

Anyway - thanks for any replies - looking forward to the move, the Southern charm [which is so very real] and a bit of paddling on the waterways :-)

Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. I guess the sales tax thing on a car was something I was unclear about - you pay no sales tax on 2nd hand cars here - but they are SUPER expensive by comparison and just registering a car costs around $800 / year for registration and compulsory insurance - so it evens out!

Also with the dogs - perhaps "pit bull" is the wrong term - most people from the US seem to think they are baby pit bulls - they are like little mastiffs [the Spuds McKenzie style] with quite square heads and small, muscular bodies.

My 18 month old jumps on their back happily [!] and they just lick him - but they probably *look* solid to a non professional burgular.

thanks again!

John

Last edited by surryhills; 01-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM

6,802 posts, read 3,482,622 times
I'll add a few things:

State Farm Insurance is pretty good--or at least they've been good to me for 20+ years.

I got Comcast to provice my cable and internet, and I've not had a single problem. Maybe I've just been lucky (I've heard the Comcast gripes in internet forums, as well, but I've not been subject to any of the problems others bring up). I would not trust AT&T to provide anything (other than aggravation). I second the Verizon recommendation.

ADT or Broadview Security--okay. SafeTouch--eh, not so sure. They advertise heavily around here, but the ads give that feeling of "the lady doth protest too much" if you catch my drift. I rely on old-fashioned locks and alert/savvy neighbors, so maybe I'm not the source on this.

Welcome to Savannah and SCAD. My best friend works for SCAD and there are times she wants to tear her hair out over the administration, but she says it's the most interesting and invigorating student body of any college/university she's ever worked with.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Daniel - thanks for the add ins. I think the house we are considering is ADT wired at present. I lock everything, but like to know that there is some back up if I'm not home.

Thanks also for the Comcast advice - it seems people are not too upset with them in Savannah - so I'll add those thoughts to the mix.

State Farm seem a good insurer - you really find out at claim time - but their model is well regarded in the Insurance industry here.

My real issue is being a "non-person" in the US. No credit score [!] - which is weird as I have had a mortgage here for a long time, and multiple credit cards with no defaults ever - but I am still not really on the FICO radar there. That will work itself out no doubt - just can't get a US mortgage!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM

6,802 posts, read 3,482,622 times
Oh...dear. I can't believe they can't pull on credit histories from overseas! Getting a cellular phone account is going to be more difficult, because they rely on a credit check as part of the setting-up. My father also has no FICO score (he pays cash for everything, even large purchases), so the geeks at Verizon didn't quite know what to do when he tried to get his first cellular phone (at 67!).

The folks at the credit union SCAD uses can help you with financial advice regarding building credit history, though, since they have such an international faculty/staff.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM

399 posts, read 2,068,756 times
I bolded my answers below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surryhills View Post

Insurance - people recommend a broker - would that be "mixed" policies [2 cars and home] or is it better to go with one supplier [we do that here] and get a multipolicy discount? We use Georgia Farm Bureau, they have always beat every price check we have done

Cable - Dish seems better - right? Any recommendations? I HATE Comcast. They always raise their rates and always had a blank screen. People said I would regret getting satellite, but the failure rate is minute compared to Comcast. Plus their rates never go up

Local phone & Cell - any thoughts? Is it good to maybe get AT&T to do cable [dish] and phone as well for a discount? People I know in the US HATE Comcast - but I'm open minded.... I ditched my landline phone 2 years ago and it has been wonderful. I use TMobile, they have INCREDIBLE rates and even more incredible customer service. I never get dropped calls. I have used other carriers before but nothing beats TMobile

Home alarm - is the ADT service / response on there pretty good? ADT

Buying a used car - I will get a second car [truck] - so you pay state tax on the sale - what if I buy it in Texas & ship it in?

My area in Sydney is pretty upscale these days - yet I live 2 blocks from the local methadone clinic. People shoot ice/meth/heroin in the park bushes nearby - but they just fade into the scenery - there is NEVER the sense that you would be at risk from people. Most of them just live on the welfare state and get high and squabble amongst themselves. Every house in my street has bars on ALL of the windows. Noone would even THINK about leaving anything in a locked car - it's just city smarts - so I figure that I'll be OK with my antenna up in Savannah.

Also we have dogs - 2 Staffordshire terriers - like little pit bulls - they are sweet, and yes they will be your friend for food - but they have great instincts - and a sudden noise in their area gets growls. They also look like they will take your leg off - so maybe a better breed to have on the doorstep.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,287 times
Default hello surreyhills

My husband is taking a job as chair of the advertising dept at scad this fall. We're in the process of setting up our home, utilities, internet, cell etc. would love to know how you're liking the services you signed up for.

many thanks,
pippingtooth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area