Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM

35 posts, read 72,321 times

Advertisements

We've been in Savannah since June and have new insurance that will finally enable us to establish relationships with doctors here. I received recommendations from an emergency room doc at Memorial, checked all the physician ratings sites and even called my insurer to make sure my top two choices for female internists were on the approved list. Unfortunately, these docs aren't accepting new patients. Damn!

Does anyone have any recommendations? I prefer seeing a woman but that's not carved in stone. And I really need an internist/gp with a sense of humor. (Because I become Rodney Dangerfield when perched on an examining rook table.) Obviously, outcomes are the top focus--and my insurer seems to like Memorial-affiliated docs.

I'd appreciate any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 PM

399 posts, read 2,257,665 times
Peggy Byck!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,234,989 times
Unless you have some pressing health needs, I would wait a couple of months until Congress has decided what it is going to do about the Heath care. The Docotors I know are just not taking new patients right now because they don't want to cut their ties with Medicare just yet. As it stands. Medicare could be a big problem for a busy office. It simply doesn't pay enough.

The Internists and GP here tend to favor either Memorial or the St Joseph/Candler group. So pick your doctor according to which hospital you would prefer. He/she may not choose to be on the staff of both. Memorial is a teaching hospital conected with the Mercer University School of Medicine. The other hospital is planning to become a teaching hospital.

My son is a GP and I would reccommend him, but guess what! That's right. He's not taking any new patients right now. His plan is to start with new ones again next month.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Thank you for the information and advice--it's very much appreciated.

Unfortunately, Drs. Fleming and Byck were my two top choices and they're not accepting new patients. Waiting a couple of months isn't an option--I will need prescription refills soon and I'm no longer covered with my out-of-state doctors. (And I couldn't get a new doctor in Savannah until now because of insurance issues.)

I sure hope the new Congress doesn't destroy health care reform and I don't think they can do it in a couple of months. As it stands, we have health insurance for about two years and then we'll have to deal with a $3,000 premium per month. (Not in the realm of reality for us.) And my medical history and that of my family make me an insurance pariah.

My husband's retired. I'm a few years younger and I'd LOVE to find a job. That's not happening despite my aggressive efforts, so I'm starting my own business. That may help with income--but not insurance. (Oh...York Morris, don't get started on health care reform again!)

Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 AM

50,494 posts, read 64,395,644 times
Kristen Updegraff MD, Southcoast Medical Group, memorial affiliated. Very warm and down to earth. LOVE HER. I am your age.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,560,503 times
alpha internal medicine....we are in fayetteville...highly recommended

Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,234,989 times
The Southcoast Medical Group would be a good choice. It has a large building that contains much special equipment for their specialty physicians. I think it has about 20 doctors on staff. This would solve your immediate problem for your medications.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Awesome! Now I have several options. I'll have to see who my insurance accepts. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area