U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,284,639 times

Advertisements

Just in case you don't know, you have to go through Wilmington Island to get to Tybee and the beach.

I would prefer Wilmington Island to either the West Side or Ardsley Park. Think about how many more years you would be working and making the commute.

You probably would have to have flood insurance in most areas of the county as a lot of it is below sea level. In fact, you don't HAVE to have it at all unless you have a mortgage on your home. We really don't have these huge floods like you see in the news media. Things are different when you live near tidal rivers. But during the periods of heavy rains for several days, the lowlying swampy areas, such as those more inland areas, can flood.

I wouldn't call Savannah an expensive place to live. It just depends on what you are used to. Eating out or cooking at home? Hiring a maid, or doing your own housework? Some winters, you would pay very little for heating.......but in Summer, well, you must have air conditioning. If either of you have allergies, or can't stand humiity, Savannah would take a good bit of adjusting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Here's a link. Southern Oaks.

145 Southern Boulevard, Savannah, GA, 31405 - Office Building Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

Yep! That's the West Side. I think you should rent for a couple of years in the Pooler/Bloomingdale area until you decide what section of the Savannah area suits you best.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 29,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Here's a link. Southern Oaks.

145 Southern Boulevard, Savannah, GA, 31405 - Office Building Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

Yep! That's the West Side. I think you should rent for a couple of years in the Pooler/Bloomingdale area until you decide what section of the Savannah area suits you best.
Thanks Padgett. The discription there states that it is only five minutes from the Historic District. Is this correct?

Starting in September, he will only be working in the office 3 days a week. So, commute not as big a concern as finding a great neighborhood fit for us.

We have no objection to renting; as long as we can find a nice home to rent, not an apartment. Hopefully that is something our realtor can assit us with should it come to that. We have plenty of time, up to a year before we have to make the physical move. This gives us plenty of time to check out the areas. We plan to make frequent visits to Savannah in the meantime; starting next month!

We are really looking forward to this new chapter in our lives, but are really scared at the same time. Actually, I am terrified!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,747,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

You probably would have to have flood insurance in most areas of the county as a lot of it is below sea level. In fact, you don't HAVE to have it at all unless you have a mortgage on your home. We really don't have these huge floods like you see in the news media. Things are different when you live near tidal rivers. But during the periods of heavy rains for several days, the lowlying swampy areas, such as those more inland areas, can flood.
Check that. Most of ChatCo is ABOVE sea level, save a few pockets, like the intersection of President & Gen. McIntosh. I would strongly advise anyone owning property in ChatCo to obtain flood insurance. To live on the coast & not have it is foolhardy!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 PM

Five minutes from the historic district???? Well, yes and no. If you caught the traffic just right and wanted only to get to the outer western edge of the district, you could do it in five minutes.

But during heavy traffic times and getting to other parts of the district......you could count on more. How much more depends on how lucky you are that day. Traffic lights are sometimes a big pain.

Another word about flood insurance. If you get a mortgage for a new home, all lending institutions will insist on flood insurance.

However, I said that you don't have to have it. Meaning that you are not forced by law to get it. It's up to you if you own your house outright.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 PM

1,380 posts, read 3,357,560 times
Default Turners Cove - Wilmington Island

I live less than 2 minutes from Turner's Cove and have a vendor at work who owns a townhome at TC. There are a group of units that are unfinished, as was mentioned. I have heard it is very nice, but from peeking in as I drive by, it's not my taste.

I live on WI and work in Garden City and it takes me 25 minutes each way.....compared to my 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 hour commute EACH way when I was in ATL, a breeze. I laugh when people in Savannah complain about traffic....

My biggest challenge has been adjusting to not having "my stores" in multiple locations. I am used to 2-3 shopping areas to choose from, several PetsMarts, several Michaels, Best Buys, Super Walmarts, bookstores, etc. I realize it's not much to complain about, but someone who is new to the area, it is an adjustment.

What I do love is 12 minutes to the beach, door to sand......My wish was to be within 30 minutes of the beach, GOT IT!!!....

The best advice I have is to be honest and clear with your realtor and let them earn their money.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I live less than 2 minutes from Turner's Cove and have a vendor at work who owns a townhome at TC. There are a group of units that are unfinished, as was mentioned. I have heard it is very nice, but from peeking in as I drive by, it's not my taste.

I live on WI and work in Garden City and it takes me 25 minutes each way.....compared to my 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 hour commute EACH way when I was in ATL, a breeze. I laugh when people in Savannah complain about traffic....

My biggest challenge has been adjusting to not having "my stores" in multiple locations. I am used to 2-3 shopping areas to choose from, several PetsMarts, several Michaels, Best Buys, Super Walmarts, bookstores, etc. I realize it's not much to complain about, but someone who is new to the area, it is an adjustment.

What I do love is 12 minutes to the beach, door to sand......My wish was to be within 30 minutes of the beach, GOT IT!!!....

The best advice I have is to be honest and clear with your realtor and let them earn their money.
Oh, I hear you about the "my stores" thing. We have several of anything you could want. So no matter what side of town you are on you can get what you need (want). And within an hourin any direction we have at least a dozen huge malls and outlet malls.

We will also miss being close to some very large cities like Chicago, Idianapolis, Cleveland. We love visiting these places on a regular basis. I have the feeling we are going to be very bored. We are weekend road warriors.

We will also miss the beaches here. We have Lake Michigan here. Just by looking at it one would think it is an ocean. Fresh water and no jellyfish, sharks and other scarey things, lol. But, at least there will be beaches near by in Savannah.

A plus is that we will be locating to a warmer climate. This year being an exception for GA I hear. I am trying to determine what the other positves are. So far, I am terrified about the move. I sure hope I get some pep talks from the local folks so I know just how wonderful it is going to be. Moving far from all our friends, family, and our son is going to be difficult. My husband was born here in MI and I have been here since 1970!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM

10,311 posts, read 21,227,230 times
Only having one of everything might be considered efficient, sensible, sustainable, or modest. We are not a large city. It's one of the things that makes life here pleasant and commute times reasonable.

Something you must learn about people who have lived here for a long time is that we don't want to hear how much better it is where ever you came from. That's a "yankee" cliche that won't earn you brownie points with the locals.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 PM

40 posts, read 121,645 times
haha my sister lived in Lansing...currently in Canton, and they were here over the holidays. Things they loved....no icy roads, no salt damage, warmer clients, our TANS, 10 minutes to EVERYTHING. They loved the seafood, quality of vegetables, the ability to stay outside during the winter for longer than 20 minutes. They liked our shortness of winters, which apparently drag on forever up north. It took me a while to get to like Savannah, but had I been more open minded and less snobby, I would have assimilated a lot sooner. I chose (erroneously) NOT to embrace it, and compare it endlessly. My other sister lives in Houston, and seeing THAT.... I am glad we don't have 45 Best Buys, KMarts, Michaels, Targets, and Taco Bells. It is still 10 minutes to everything here anyway. It isn't such an awful place to live after all. There are lots of cities pretty close by that are great to visit if you are the travelling type.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Only having one of everything might be considered efficient, sensible, sustainable, or modest. We are not a large city. It's one of the things that makes life here pleasant and commute times reasonable.

Something you must learn about people who have lived here for a long time is that we don't want to hear how much better it is where ever you came from. That's a "yankee" cliche that won't earn you brownie points with the locals.
WOW Ellie, not quite the pep talk I am hoping for. Nothing like reassuring my fears.

Not saying anything is better, just saying a different way of life, one I have lived for nearly 40 years and the change is very terrifying. Leaving lots behind, especially family, friends and son.

Thanks bubblewrap!

Well, this is my last post to this thread. Thank you all for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area