Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM

770 posts, read 3,681,018 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to plan a vacation with our children this spring. Our ideal vacation is heading to a place that is beautiful, things for children to do, easy access to the beach and pet friendly. A few friends suggested Savahanna, Charleston and Myrtle Beach.

Does Savahanna fit my criteria for vacationing?
Where do I look to find a beach house to rent that isn't an insane amount of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
First, I don't want to be rude, but if you spell it correctly, SAVANNAH, you can get tons of infomation on the Internet..

How old are the children? There is little to interest the small ones in Savannah. The beach is called TYBEE ISLAND. They would enjoy time spent there. Prices would vary as to how close to the beach, hotel room or house? It is about a 30 minute drive from Savannah if you planned to stay in the Historic District. The beach is NOT pet friendly. At the present time, dogs are not allowed in certain areas. This may change, but they have been a problem in the past, and some just don't want to see that happen again.

If you are planning for 'this Spring', you need to hurry and make a decision. Our biggest tourist season starts about mid-March and goes on through April and May. June is beginning to get HOT.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:47 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Wow, you totally mutilated our city's name. As posted by Padgett, it's SAVANNAH!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM

65 posts, read 133,804 times
Hey, I know I'm hijacking a thread here, but I didn't want to start another vacation thread so close to this one

We're looking at coming to Savannah, either March 26th-ish or if not then, in July. My preference as a Minnesotan is to come in March. Is the water at the beaches warm enough to take a swim in? As mentioned earlier, what's good for kids, etc, etc. We'll be bringing my folks, who will take care of our kids about three days while my wife and I do our own thing, and then we'll all be together the other three days.

Thanks for anything you can offer

Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
^^^ Coming from Minnesota, the water MAY be warm enough for you in March. The weather overall is PERFECT that time fo year. But by July, it will be so hot as to make your trip miserable. Better be safe (March) than sorry (July).

Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I don't know where I posted the link to local water temps in March, but I seem to remember that they are usually in the upper 50's, low 60's then.

The air at the beach is much slower to warm up in the spring than it is a few miles inland. That means it can be cool and breezy through late April and early May to the point you might wish you were wearing a light sweater on certain days. Don't expect real beach weather in March.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 PM

65 posts, read 133,804 times
Thanks Newsboy and Ellie, that's helpful. We're still kicking it around.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
I have a small child and we LOVE Tybee. You are not going to find amusement parks there and the place shuts down at 9 p.m. I swear However, if hanging out on a family friendly beach with no loud stereos and screaming teenagers is your idea of a vacation, Tybee is the place to go! If you get bored and want some action Savannah is close enough to pack up and head out for dinner and shopping. I found some great rentals on vrbo that were pet friendly and inexpensive IMO.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 144,409 times
Well the pet friendly part definitely limits your options... Hilton Head allows dogs on the beaches certain times of the year. Tybee Island doesn't not allow dogs on the beaches at all.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM

112 posts, read 317,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Either way I would be proud to be a Yankee...don't we all know that people from the north aka a Yankee are the only Americans who can truely claim not to have ever lost a war??? BAM!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area