U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,513,566 times

Advertisements

Hello, just need some opinions regarding lifestyle in Savannah, please no extreme negativity! I already know every town has crime, drugs, etc.! Tell me which areas to avoid. I am middle income, renting an apt, single, in my 40's, divorced, no kids. Artsy, quiet, friendly, and enjoy music, books, nature, biking, hiking, walking, museums etc. I forgot to mention I am now in Northern Virginia, Washington, D.C. area. The land of high rents. Also I have checked the visitor sites for Savannah and they are great! Thanks!

Last edited by Artsywoman; 01-27-2011 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: additions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,250,450 times
A good rule of thumb for avoiding high crime areas is to stay away from those that LOOK like they are high crime areas.

Are the houses run down, junk in the unmowed lawns? Trash and junk everywhere? Do the home owners look as if they care what they live in? Drive by at night, are there groups of males standing around the corners, passing bottles around? During school hours, are there a lot of teens walking around when they should be in class? Even in the historic district, at night, there are people wandering around that look as if they don't belong there.

In other words, look at the neighborhood before you rent. There are places all over the Savannah area that are problem areas. The big decision for someone in your position is whether or not you want to live in the historic district with it's problems or out in the suburbs where you would be more apt to have neighbors with children. Another choice would be areas like Ardsley Park or Baldwin Park. These are older neighbor hoods, but with a lot of professional people.

I don't mean to sound vague, but the Savannah area (that includes places like Pooler, Thunderbolt, Tybee, and the Islands,) covers a large area with pockets of good and bad everywhere.

Get a short term lease first, live here a while and then decide where you think would suit you best.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Hello, just need some opinions regarding lifestyle in Savannah, please no extreme negativity! I already know every town has crime, drugs, etc.! Tell me which areas to avoid. I am middle income, renting an apt, single, in my 40's, divorced, no kids. Artsy, quiet, friendly, and enjoy music, books, nature, biking, hiking, walking, museums etc. I forgot to mention I am now in Northern Virginia, Washington, D.C. area. The land of high rents. Also I have checked the visitor sites for Savannah and they are great! Thanks!
to miss independent63 With the activities you enjoy, you will have probably not run into criminals very often. But I would suggest to get the full enjoyment of Savannah, adopt a dog from our Humane Society. This is a very dog-friendly city; the dog will help you meet more nice, friendly, active people like yourself. And criminals rarely approach when there is a dog. (I relocated here over 12 yrs ago)

Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM

55 posts, read 104,492 times
We live on the Islands and crime seems to be pretty low-key such as DUI's and a few thefts of vacant properties. I work on the southside and people's a/c units are getting stolen, smash and grabs are advertised as being on the increase according to the alarm company ads, and there was a vehicle theft/officer shooting also on the southside last week. But there are some very safe neighborhoods where owners still take pride in their homes and there are some "transitional" ones that homeowners are walking away and the homes are vacant or rented out. I would recommend taking a week long visit and working with a realtor to find a good neighborhood that'll fit with your lifestyle. You can do historical, victorian, modern, low country, islands, etc. Possiblities are endless! Good luck!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

ok, thanks! Also, Did I say I had a beautiful Cat and I am pretty open about the work as I worked in non-profit and recently lost my job. Sounds terrible, but must move on from that. I am sure the unemployment is about the same everywhere now, maybe a bit more or less. Here it is actually the lowest anywhere, but the cost of living is so high it is all relative. I just think positive. I want a slower pace. I also love dogs.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,743,413 times
Quote:
ok, thanks! Also, Did I say I had a beautiful Cat and I am pretty open about the work as I worked in non-profit and recently lost my job. Sounds terrible, but must move on from that. I am sure the unemployment is about the same everywhere now, maybe a bit more or less. Here it is actually the lowest anywhere, but the cost of living is so high it is all relative. I just think positive. I want a slower pace. I also love dogs.
Unemployment is at or near all time highs here in GA. Plan accordingly....

Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM

40,251 posts, read 49,764,345 times
Well, I don't even know you, but I can see you living downtown in the historic district where you can walk around and participate in all the goings on. It is near SCAD, the museums, the shops, and the historical society. I'm sure you can get some kind of job in one of those places.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Is the employment rate very high there? I have a BA in English, 20 years of exp in non profit, but not very high up, retail exp, writing etc

Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Default oops Sinusitus, Hole in my Tooth, Surgery upcoming

oops, sorry I did not read that before I posted. I am ill. I need to get off the computer now and rest! Medicine is very spacey. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:21 PM

10,280 posts, read 21,177,081 times
Quote:
Is the employment rate very high there? I have a BA in English, 20 years of exp in non profit, but not very high up, retail exp, writing etc
Anyone with good communication and writing skills has a better than average chance of finding a job here. Employment is still tight but seems to have improved incrementally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or