Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,994 times

Advertisements

Native CA women considering moving to Savannah. What types of bugs should I be aware of (I'm not fond of anything that crawls or flies.) And what is the weather like (hottest time of the year/humidity, etc.)

Thanks....any help is really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 AM

49,999 posts, read 63,313,910 times
If you have a lawn, you will get fireants. If you have a house, you will need to spray for termites. There are palmetto bugs and roaches, but I've only seen 3 in almost a year. I have not been bothered at all with any flying insects, but I hear there is a period in the spring when the gnats are bothersome.
The spring and fall weather is heavenly, but the summer is so hot and humid we hardly left our house from June to September.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM

55 posts, read 118,031 times
we had one giant water bug (palmetto bug) walking through our condo like he owned the joint (but one size 11 shoe took care of him) and my daughter is found yummy by gnats but overall the bugs aren't a problem. They're nonexistant on Tybee due to the wind.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,104,376 times
Several different kinds of roaches. Mosquitoes, but the Mosquitoe Control Agency does an excellent job. Several bad rainy days and they are back, but soon under control. Gnats (no-see-ems) can be a problem in the spring and fall. And termites. Fleas if you have pets and ticks, if you live near a woody area.

The heat index (actual temps feels like ____ because of the humidity) can go well over 100 for days at a time in the summer. I think we had 120 one day last summer. It does not cool off much in the evenings. The heat starts to rise in April, and continues on into October some years. You sweat, but it doesn't cool you off because the air is so moist that the sweat can't evaporate. It just beads up on your skin.

If you have allergies, you won't like Savannah. The pollen, mold and mildew counts go waaayy up.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,784,766 times
Golly gee it sounds so miserable. Wonder why any of us live here?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 PM

8,026 posts, read 4,706,675 times
If you live in the city limits and nearby, Mosquito Control will make sure you won't be bothered by mosquitoes. The only buzzing noise you'll hear will be the low-flying helicopters spraying--and a welcome buzz it is, considering the alternative. The closer you live to the marsh will determine the amount of various and sundry creepy-crawlies you encounter. A simple can of Raid in the cabinet will be enough insurance against the occasional indoor cockroach, though I've seen a few of them attracted to my outside porch light. Of course you will have to rely on close neighbors to live as cleanly as you do, because bugs can and do migrate.

I guess I'm sort of apathetic to the insects because we have much more serious problems with rats downtown. Luckily they've been mostly confined to the City Hall building, and the harsh lights of TV cameras have the potential of being an effective disinfectant.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,784,766 times
RAT INFESTATION AT CITY HALL!!! HO HO!!! I get it! I like it!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:39 PM

49,999 posts, read 63,313,910 times
I'm from Ohio, and I can tell you that, while the bugs are different, they are MUCH less bothersome here than there.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 PM

Smile Thank You---

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I'll keep bug spray close by and hope I don't run into any roaches (or anything else that crawls at night).

Humidity is something I am certainly not used to. Guess there goes the make-up and hairstyle. Being from SoCal, warm weather is never an issue - it's the middle of February and I'm still wearing shorts (75deg today). During our 'summer' it has reached over 100deg.

I'm excited and anxious to relocate given all I've heard and read about Savannah. Southern CA Gal looking forward to my new adventure.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Bet you don't miss those long winter months in Ohio. I have a job opportunity in Columbus but leaning toward Savannah instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area