U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,419 times

Advertisements

Sweetie, you made my day XD I wonder if it really was such a good idea taking that job... Just kidding!
Rate this post positively

Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 AM

10,283 posts, read 21,182,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetnessJones View Post
The native-borns tell you what school they went to, and they complain that the school wasn't as bad when they went because there weren't so many black people.

That's another thing. They are openly racist. And they assume you are too if you're also white.
I think that's true in a lot of cases, but not all, and could be broadened to to entire state and probably South Carolina, too. Don't have much experience with Alabama...

The exceptions are probably ones who are better educated, who have travelled, or have served in the military anytime after the Vietnam War. I guess lack of travel goes hand-in-hand with staying near where they were born.

There are also plenty of transplants who become more racist after being here awhile.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 AM

51 posts, read 119,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
There are also plenty of transplants who become more racist after being here awhile.

I've heard that from people who move to the South in general. They didn't consider themselves racist before, but they get that way after moving here (the South). It's really more of a "class" issue, in my opinion. Savannah is one area of many in the South where being African American tends to mean one is more likely to live in poverty. The exceptions are steadily increasing in number, but sadly you don't see many black families living in the more exclusive areas.

I could be wrong, but the "middle class" in Savannah is a relatively recent thing. For the longest time it was old Savannah money and poor people (black and white). Not much in between. Also the old Savannah money has been notoriously resistant to change, as far as bringing in new national businesses and catering to the educated professional. It's only been since October 2004 that there's even been a Target here!

Last edited by SweetnessJones; 03-02-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,254,301 times
I can't help but wonder how long does a person have to live in Savannah before they become an expert advisor about the City and it's people.

I've lived here a long, long time and consider myself one of the "middle class." Trust me on this, there is, and has been, a large middle class.

And WOW!!! A Target!!!! my goodness gracious....a Really Great Store. I shudder with anticipation at the chance to enter it's doors and buy some of it's wonderous goods.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I can't help but wonder how long does a person have to live in Savannah before they become an expert advisor about the City and it's people.

I've lived here a long, long time and consider myself one of the "middle class." Trust me on this, there is, and has been, a large middle class.

And WOW!!! A Target!!!! my goodness gracious....a Really Great Store. I shudder with anticipation at the chance to enter it's doors and buy some of it's wonderous goods.

What exactly did I say that offended you so much? And for the record, I'm not such a huge fan of Target myself, and I find its merchandise to be a ripoff of other stores.

The OP wanted opinions about this area, and I gave an opinion. I did not claim to be an "expert advisor" about the city and its people.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,254,301 times
Quote:
What exactly did I say that offended you so much? And for the record, I'm not such a huge fan of Target myself, and I find its merchandise to be a ripoff of other stores.

The OP wanted opinions about this area, and I gave an opinion. I did not claim to be an "expert advisor" about the city and its people.
Sorry, but it's easy to misunderstand an opinion that's based on guess work and limited knowedge of the situation. Sometimes the posters sound as if they think they know all about the place. Your remarks about Savannah's middle class was one of that type of remark.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Sorry, but it's easy to misunderstand an opinion that's based on guess work and limited knowedge of the situation. Sometimes the posters sound as if they think they know all about the place. Your remarks about Savannah's middle class was one of that type of remark.
Isn't that what we're all doing? Guesswork? One person's experience may be remarkably different from another's, even after living in the same place for the same number of years. It doesn't make one experience less valid than the others.

I've lived here for 8 years, and I admit fully to not knowing all about the place. How long must one live here to be fully aware of nearly every part of the area and what a new person's experience would possibly be?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Moderator cut: Orphaned

There are quite a few things I like about it here, but no place is above criticism. If I were asking the question, I'd want to hear different views, not just those of people who've always lived here. Besides, you can't really get a good perspective on what it's like to be a newcomer unless you ask other newcomers.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-18-2012 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed

Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,858,832 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned

There are quite a few things I like about it here, but no place is above criticism. If I were asking the question, I'd want to hear different views, not just those of people who've always lived here. Besides, you can't really get a good perspective on what it's like to be a newcomer unless you ask other newcomers.
I love Savannah.I'd recommend it 9 times out of ten,but it has some major flaws.Some are uniquely Southern.Does not mean thats all good or bad either.However if you are not used to the ways of the area before you move there,some ,it can seem like you are on Mars.

The Race thing can be hit or miss.Overall its "miss".You are correct,it is more "in the face".I find people are less "progressive and liberal" the farther outside the city you live.Like you live in Pooler.Thats not Savannah.Its metro Savannah.Metro Savannah is not where people looking for a real Savannah experience want to beet

Savannah actually can be a little more liberal than you think.Its just low key.Like Gay rights.It seems to be a very gay friendly.I believe along with Athens,and Atlanta,Savannah has the ony Domestic Partnership laws.Gay rights is usually is a good indicator of how progeresive the area is.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-18-2012 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: updated quote

Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I love Savannah.I'd recommend it 9 times out of ten,but it has some major flaws.Some are uniquely Southern.Does not mean thats all good or bad either.However if you are not used to the ways of the area before you move there,some ,it can seem like you are on Mars.

The Race thing can be hit or miss.Overall its "miss".You are correct,it is more "in the face".I find people are less "progressive and liberal" the farther outside the city you live.Like you live in Pooler.Thats not Savannah.Its metro Savannah.Metro Savannah is not where people looking for a real Savannah experience want to beet

Savannah actually can be a little more liberal than you think.Its just low key.Like Gay rights.It seems to be a very gay friendly.I believe along with Athens,and Atlanta,Savannah has the ony Domestic Partnership laws.Gay rights is usually is a good indicator of how progeresive the area is.
Pooler tends to be slightly more rural than Richmond Hill, which is where I lived after I moved to GA. I lived in Savannah for a while and loved the proximity to things, plus the older neighborhoods, which are so pretty. I love the diversity, as I mentioned before, and that you never know who you'll meet each day.

The markets are pretty good about catering to specific populations. If there is a substantial Latino/Hispanic population, they will make sure to have plenty of foods from that cuisine. The same with Hasidic Jewish members. They can find most of what they need at the Publix close by. It's funny to see British food in the "ethnic" section at the market, but British ex-pats can find Marmite, Cadbury chocolate, PG Tips tea, and Heinz beans easily.

I taught piano in Richmond Hill, and most of my students were bilingual. From Spanish to Chinese to German and even Danish. Many of them had been born overseas because of having a military parent stationed there at the time.

When your company has a potluck dinner, you end up with all sorts of different foods because so many people are from somewhere else and are welcomed to share their cuisines with everyone else.

The Savannah-Chatham police can be a little hostile at times, but perhaps that's because of the crime they deal with (which I mentioned before is typically drug-related). A regular person is unlikely to be the random victim of an attack. If you're out buying dope, then the chances of robbery, rape, or a shooting are much higher.

I like it here so much more than the places I lived in MS and LA.

Now if only we could get an IKEA. But the area isn't big enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or