U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,254,301 times

Advertisements

hmmmm. I may have my facts wrong, but I seem to remember taking my children down to walk on River Street when they were young. That would have been in the early 1960s. (yes, they are getting old too.) It was not a abandoned muddy eyesore at that time. But maybe I am wrong. It wasn't as busy as it is now, but it was in use. Nor was it as developed, but it was on the way

I have voted in every election and every primary since I was old enough to vote. I haven't been on a jury because my name has not been drawn. It happens. Check your facts as to how the names are pulled.

Perhaps the most insulting thing that you have said is the implication that we abandoned the public schools. 1969 was the year the son graduated. The other two also graduated from the public school system. One was even the Star Student for his school.

Different from myself??? Surely you don't mean the African-Amercan type like the ones I go to church with, worked with, hired, ate with, visited in their homes and had them in mine. No, you couldn't possibly mean that. You must mean the loud half-drunk idiots with their to-go cups. I don't go downtown because there is no reason in the world to go. I drive around the squares when everything is in bloom, but that's it.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM

10,283 posts, read 21,182,516 times
You know, Padgett2 is a lot like some of my family and their friends who have lived here all of their lives and rarely come downtown, but not to the degree she's managed to avoid it. But I don't think it's that uncommon.

As far as jury duty goes, seems I was called in nearly once a year for a long spell, but recently I haven't been called at all. Padgett2 is just one of those lucky souls.

I also remember going to River Street before it was restored. It was so much more interesting than it is now, very mysterious...

Old 02-08-2011, 06:40 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,254,301 times
Thanks Ellie. What newcomers don't see to understand that after years and years of living here, the downtown section becomes just part of living. There's no point in going. If we go to bars for the company and fun, there are usually ones closer to home.

I'll admit that I fudged a little on when was the last time I set foot there. Our CPA in the late 1970s had his office on one of the squares. I took our month end work from the business in to him once a month for about a year. When he moved to the Southside, that ended the daytime trips. We did go to the Civic Center at night when there were concerts that we were involved in. We also practiced, again at night, in the Cathedral of St. John The Baptist, and St. John's Episcopal Church plus a couple of other places. So I guess I did lie a bit. I should have said something about walking around in the DAYTIME.

I hope I wasn't too blunt for the original poster. I think Savannah is a wonderful place to have for a home. I just happen to like a less tourist type environment. Tourists are great in that they spend a lot of money here. But we also have a good solid industrial base. And the Georgia Port looks as if it's going to get even bigger.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,289,186 times
^^^^ AHHH ... so you were lying! At least you were woman enough to admit it. I rest my case: Savannah is NOT a big city, and the notion that somebody coule live here for 40+ years and NEVER "STEP FOOT" downtown is / was total bull****.

Why fill people's heads with that kind of crap?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM

112 posts, read 293,523 times
Newsboy, I personally could not care if she lied or not. Perhaps she has gone 40 years without getting called on jury duty, I am pushing 40 & have lived in the same town all my life & voted every election & have never been called to jury duty, but my mother on the other hand seems to get called at least one a year.

She may very well have never been to a funeral or wedding, Like I said before I am a native to Asheville NC, in my entire life I have never been to a funeral or wedding or even a worship service to any of the churches or funeral homes in downtown Asheville, there is only 1 church in all of downtown that I have ever been in & it was the big Catholic church next to the civic center & I only went in it because I was curious what it looked like, not being Catholic myself I had never seen what one looked like on the inside.

In your original post you also mentioned government meeting. What kind of government meeting could she have gone to. Again I have lived in Asheville all my life & I have never been to any government meeting of any kind. I can't even imagine what government meeting I could possible go to.

As for eating at a downtown restaurants, I can see how she would not have any interest in doing that. Here in Asheville it has been more years than I can remember since I last set foot in a restaurant in downtown Asheville.

It is very feasible for all the things she said to be true. As a native to Asheville NC, which is just as touristy as Savannah if not possible a little more. We natives tend to stay away from the touristy areas of the town. We remember what things were like in our towns before it became so popular, before the tourists discovered it. Here in Asheville the most popular section of town use to be known as the most undesirable, run down, scariest & most disgusting section of town until about 3 or 4 years ago. Now it is the most desirable to open a business &/or live. Real estate there has exploded, property there is the most expensive in town. But no matter how desirable that section of town becomes I have a very hard time not seeing it as what it use to be, I just can not force myself to shop or eat in that section of town no matter how hip & trendy it has become.

As a native to the mtns of WNC, I never go on the blue ridge park way, I never visit any of the state parks or national Forrest's, I never go hiking or mtn biking. I have never been white water rafting or kayaking.

So maybe she was exaggerating about how long it has been since she last went into the historic district. I get where she is coming from, I can completely understand. She mentioned having young children in the early 1960's (no offense Padgett) but that would most likely make her some where in her 60's & I don't often see many people in their 60's hanging out in the trendy parts of town, going to all the new restaurants or hanging out in newest dance club.

Transplants often have a hard time believing that people don't feel exactly the same way they do about the new town they choose to live in. They also have a hard time realizing that they are the same way with the town or city they came from. Here in the mtns of NC I often hear people gasp in horror when I tell them I never go on the parkway or even look at the mtns, to me the parkway is nothing more than mile after mile of mtns & trees. Why would I want to spend all day driving around looking at something I can see out any window in my home. But when I ask them where they come from, many of them are from coastal regions up north like NYC, then they moved to a coastal city somewhere in Florida, now they are half way back home, making Asheville their new home. They talk about how they never went to the beach, they never went on a boat trip, they never went to the fish markets, they never did anything that involved the ocean. Since I have spent my entire life in the mtns of NC, I get very excited to visit the ocean & do anything that involves the water. But they can not see how I could get excited about the ocean & not be as excited about the mtns as they are.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,289,186 times
^^^ When you move to Savannah, you will understand why people like Padgett2 are so frustrating. They literally live in one of the most beautiful, desireable LIVEABLE cities in the nation and only see the bad -- they hate outsiders, they resent tourists, they harbor deep-seated racial biases. This is the only city I've ever lived where I heard educated, professional, middle class white people use the "N" word with no regret or hesitation. For all its beauty, there are still some ugly people in Savannah, Ga.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ When you move to Savannah, you will understand why people like Padgett2 are so frustrating. They literally live in one of the most beautiful, desirable LIVEABLE cities in the nation and only see the bad -- they hate outsiders, they resent tourists, they harbor deep-seated racial biases. This is the only city I've ever lived where I heard educated, professional, middle class white people use the "N" word with no regret or hesitation. For all its beauty, there are still some ugly people in Savannah, Ga.

Come to Asheville NC, go to any city in the south that is a huge touristy town & a very desirable city to live in because of its natural beauty & scenery. You will find that the majority of the transplants are northern in origin. (yankees) Hence the reason for all the ugliness.

We southerners are tired of the constant pouring of new people to our areas. When another southerner moves in to our area they typically accept things as they are but when a northerner moves to an area they typically like to change things. They have a very hard time accepting life exactly the way it is so they make small changes here & there, they buy out business that have been around for many years & change it, they buy out vacant land & build more modern buildings, they cause the town & way of life change.

Southern people are not typically fond of change. We like things to stay exactly the way we have always known it to be. We can sometimes handle small changes here & there over time but the yankees move in so fast & so many at a time that the changes happen so quickly. Creating bitter & angry natives.

If & when I move to Savannah I plan to adapt to the local culture, & by local culture I mean the southern culture. I myself am a native southerner, that is the main reason I am so attracted to Savannah. From a visitors point of view it still seems very southern in nature, the Yankee have not changed it so much yet.

I live in Asheville NC & because of the yankees this city has lost every bit of it southern heritage. The city is now more of a cross between New England & Southern California. I can completely understand how & why locals like Padgett stay away from parts of the town.

As for some people using the "n" word. that does not surprise me in the least. South Georgia has a culture all its own. No matter what your race is, if you are born & raised in south Georgia you don't see race the same as people in places like NY, CA or even NC.

Like is different in the south & if you are a transplant then you need to just accept the fact that the people here do not think like you & for the most part we don't want to think like you, we have our own way of doing things & we don't want to do things the same as you, we don't need or want you to show us how wrong we are for not being just like you. We do not need nor want your help with anything. If you can not accept us for in full for exactly who & what we are then we do not want you here.

Many of us Southerners do not see you all as transplants but as invaders. We feel like we are having to relive the civil war all over again

Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
^^^ When you move to Savannah, you will understand why people like Padgett2 are so frustrating. They literally live in one of the most beautiful, desireable LIVEABLE cities in the nation and only see the bad -- they hate outsiders, they resent tourists, they harbor deep-seated racial biases. This is the only city I've ever lived where I heard educated, professional, middle class white people use the "N" word with no regret or hesitation. For all its beauty, there are still some ugly people in Savannah, Ga.

Newsboy....by the way, what part of the north are you originally from?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 PM

10,283 posts, read 21,182,516 times
Quote:
Oh NO! I hope you're not attacking Padgett2. She's not guilty of anything you're attributing to her. I've been reading her posts for several years now and she has done nothing to deserve having her name placed anywhere near what you've written. And you should know better, if you are who you say you are.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 15,409 times
Default reply for atl sports fan

I have live here my whole life the only thing i agree with on you is the SCAD part. Driving- your talking about out near pooler at that parkway yea there are wrecks there because that where so many transplants live and aren't from here and its a busy interesection. litsen to reports how many wrecks a day on the islands are there, like 1-2 a week unless at night like after mid-night cause of a drunk driver. And schools south effingham is EFFINGHAM not savannah. public schools yea for the most part other than the islands new highschool suck. But in SVANNAH you have good private schools like bendictine, saint vincents, savannah christian, country day. My brother went to school here and is now a succesful doctor and other friends who are very succesfull too. you get out what you put in. and the housing yea it fluctuates but on the island i know from experience because im about to move but you can find 2 bed 2 bath for 700+ month on the islands and houses for 170,000. from what im reading you are talking about pooler. if that person would move to say wilmington island where i live rent a 1bed 1bath for 750 a month in a good complex and work at memorial or candler its a 15-20 min. drive and no I-16, 516, pooler parkway or I-95
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or