Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,579,885 times

Advertisements

Kinda of sad national retailers are avoiding us like the plague, trader joes confirmed this week we don't meet their "demographic" One of the major problems is 20% of our population our in and out of the county jail on an annual basis or have families members who use it like a short stay hotel. The city council and the local governments are horrible and corrupt.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM

878 posts, read 1,648,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughspencer125 View Post
agradywills is sooooo right about this place. I moved here six years ago after coming here as a tourist many times. Living here is NOTHING like visiting here. My advice to anyone coming here is DON"T! The crime is horrible, and people wander around the city all times of the day and night like stray cats.

If the ecomony was better, I would already be gone. It is correct that is is cliquish, politically correct (fake) and you can't go downtown without some bum trying to get money from you. When I leave, I doubt the beautiful historical buildings will be enough for me to ever come back to visit.
My first trip to Savannah (as a visitor) is this coming week... I left in May after an extended period of unemployment to move west to beautiful Washington state. I was a 30 year resident of the Savannah area.

It was the best decision of my life in a personal sense but I left family and friends behind.

I'm looking forward to the visit for the week, but I do agree with you, I will never live there again. The summer heat is enough to keep me away... and yes, it's the reason my trip is February and not August. The summers out here in Washington are gorgeous and I don't want to waste a week of my summer roasting in Georgia.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,931,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Kinda of sad national retailers are avoiding us like the plague, trader joes confirmed this week we don't meet their "demographic" One of the major problems is 20% of our population our in and out of the county jail on an annual basis or have families members who use it like a short stay hotel. The city council and the local governments are horrible and corrupt.
Just because Trader Joe's won't come to Savannah doesn't mean all the national retailers are avoiding the place. Gross over generalization.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Just because Trader Joe's won't come to Savannah doesn't mean all the national retailers are avoiding the place. Gross over generalization.
The national retailer that is coming here.....Kohls don't chalk me up too excited about that one and for Kohls to come we lost Books a Million, also we are loosing a Food Lion in an area that really needs a supermarket.

The Local governments sucking butt are not an over generalization...

When has the local government done anything about trying to attract retailers? If it's south of the historic district then it's not Savannah in their minds..

Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,116,353 times
Quote:
When has the local government done anything about trying to attract retailers? If it's south of the historic district then it's not Savannah in their minds..
Guess what!! There are a lot of native Savannians that think that there is more to Savannah than the down town Historic District.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Guess what!! There are a lot of native Savannians that think that there is more to Savannah than the down town Historic District.
Yes, there are a lot, but what has the local government done to encourage retail growth outside of the historic district?

The latest blow up is over the fire departments hiring practices?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,116,353 times
What would happen to Savannah if all the people that came here to work because they couldn't get jobs where they lived, found something better else where.

Suppose all the retirees left?

I am sure that a lot of them would be happier, but.....why did they come here in the first place? Judging by all the complaints we get....everything was much better where they used to live.

Savannah is not a Paradise. It has it's bad side. It has crime. It has, along with a lot of other cities, a government that seems not to be able to function some of the time. Soooooo? Is there anyplace that has everything 100% perfect?

Only in the movies!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,931,552 times
Quote:
Yes, there are a lot, but what has the local government done to encourage retail growth outside of the historic district?
You know, this is a free market right? I'm not sure the local government should have much to do with bringing the chains to town.

On the other end of that argument, government CAN enforce building codes and zoning laws.

BTW, Savannah has more than Kohl's as a national chain. Think of most of the stores in Savannah Mall, Oglethorpe Mall. Heck, take a drive down Abercorn and see the chains. Savannah definitely isn't lacking in the national retailer market.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 AM

63 posts, read 230,237 times
Quote:

The latest blow up is over the fire departments hiring practices?
Could you elaborate on what you mean by the fd's hiring practice?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Could you elaborate on what you mean by the fd's hiring practice?
Check out Savannahnow . com for more info. Several of the council members are upset about the minority hiring or lack of it in the last fire department class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area