U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM

112 posts, read 293,452 times

Advertisements

Searching on line I have found some potential home that I would possible consider buying. They are all older home (built before 1950) all of which are in need of serious work, non of them are in move in conditions, which is exactly what I want.

I use to have my own business restoring older homes in the Asheville NC area so I am not afraid to do the work myself, making it much cheaper for me to make any home exactly the way I want it.

Seeing as how I am not familiar with every neighborhood in the city of Savannah, I would like to know if any of the streets or neighborhoods are bad, good, up & coming, etc... I am by no means from a privileged neighborhood & I do not have children so I don't have to live in the best of the best parts of town. As long as it is not a street where prostitutes hang out, drug deals go down in the back alleys, police are called out almost hourly, murders happen often or shooting are almost a daily thing.

I am a rather large man & I do not frighten easily. I have an unintentional look about me that tends to make people back off & leave me alone.

2015 Causton Bluff Road, Savannah
3604 Stevens Street, Savannah
2235 Utah Street, Savannah
1605 Grove Street, Savannah
904 Moray Street, Savannah
508 West 38th Street, Savannah
2212 Mississippi Avenue, Savannah
911 West 38th Street, Savannah
518 West 38th Street #2, Savannah

These are the address of a few houses for sale that I have found that I would consider buying. If any of you live in the area or know of the areas I would love to hear from you. I would prefer to get the opinions of the residents who know the areas rather than talk to a realtor about them
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 PM

10,273 posts, read 21,160,473 times
I looked at all of these on the map and am telling you what I've gleaned from personal experience and reading the newspaper/watching local news over the years. Some places I've had reason to visit frequently, others I only pass through occasionally.

I'm responding to these in reverse.

518 West 38th Street #2 - Great house but might be a scary neighborhood. It's right around the corner from Florance St., which for some reason is a center of gang activity. The area has seen some reinvestment, but I'd be cautious.

911 West 38th Street - It's close to the previous location but there are more new and restored homes in this area. I drive down Ogeechee/Anderson regularly and feel secure doing that during the day and early evening. I don't usually drive through there late at night.

2212 Mississippi Avenue Another sketchy neighborhood that should be improving in the next few years. The city is in the process of demolishing a blighted housing project and will be building a new mixed neighborhood where some homes will be subsidized and others will be market value rental or owner occupied. It won't get worse.

508 West 38th Street It's in the same area as the first two. If you're curious about that neighborhood, you'll need to spend some quality time there on weekend nights. If it weren't for random violence that seems to happen kind of frequently in that neighborhood, I'd say it's a good location, geographically.

904 Moray Street Ditto. Do a google search about Cuyler Brownsville. It is a historic neighborhood and is mostly African-American. I think it always has been. There has been a fair amount of focus on this area recently, in a good way...which makes it confusing for an outsider who hears it might be dangerous.

1605 Grove Street That's another sweet house. I don't think that's the worst area. It's still a little rough, but not terrible. There are a lot of families and working people there. You'll still find a bunch of highly visible dumb kids clumped up on corners, doing whatever, but I'm not sure if they represent the majority of residents in the neighborhood. It's kind of hard to drive around there because there are so many stop signs.

2235 Utah Street That is a surprisingly crappy neighborhood. Most of the homes are low quality and the area has little chance of improving.

3604 Stevens Street That's an odd location that I don't know much about. Liberty City isn't bad, but Beach High School is among the city's worst.

2015 Causton Bluff Road There are a lot of problems with drugs near there along Pennsylvania Ave. It's also in an area with cheap postwar housing that wasn't intended to last a decade.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,241,167 times
Just want to add a little to Ellie's post. I am familiar with only one of these. The one on Mississippi Ave. The houses along there were built very soon after WWII. Poor construction, poor materials. Plaster walls with a million cracks. It's an ugly block. 2212 is concrete block, small rooms and slab foundation. The neighborhood is so-so and could be going down.

The ones on 38th street may date back to a good many years before the war. I don't know a thing about the others. Utah Street could be pre-war and good or built about the same time as the one on Miss. Ave.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM

3,864 posts, read 5,553,617 times
Get with a local realtor and explain to them what you are looking for as there are numerous property's in the downtown/historical district which have had a renovation started but it was stopped when the housing market crashed. Many of these homes are in foreclosure or bank owned. There was a quite a bit of speculation going on in these areas and many people were stuck holding the bag when the music stopped.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks for you comments. I now have a bit of a better idea of some of the areas in town. I found a few I REALLY liked on East Henry St. From what I can see it must be a decent street, the housing there goes up to $600,000

657 East Henry Street, Savannah

919 East Henry Street, Savannah

Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 PM

Try this site.

Chatham County : Property Record Cards

Just put in the address. The odd numbers are on the south side of the street and the even are on the north. The numbering is not well done, but if you go up or down a few look at an enlargement of the picture, you will get a better idea of what the neighborhood is like. If there is no picture, that usually means that it has been taken off the tax role for some reason.

Some of the big houses on Henry St. have been broken up into apartments. You'll find numbers with 1/2 on them. Such as 823 1/2.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 PM

OOPS! I just tried that link. Looks as if they don't have many records on file for those houses on Henry.

Henry is a busy one way street heading west. I'm not sure if parking is allowed . I think there would be a lane for access to a garage or off street parking. There has been a good bit of restoration in the big old homes.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 AM

10,273 posts, read 21,160,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
OOPS! I just tried that link. Looks as if they don't have many records on file for those houses on Henry.

Henry is a busy one way street heading west. I'm not sure if parking is allowed . I think there would be a lane for access to a garage or off street parking. There has been a good bit of restoration in the big old homes.
Yes, on-street parking is allowed on Henry St. There's usually off-street parking from the lane if there is not a driveway in front.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:33 PM

40 posts, read 121,313 times
Stay far, far away from any state streets

Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblewrap1 View Post
Stay far, far away from any state streets

Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area