U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-27-2011, 04:12 AM
 
112 posts, read 414,345 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 8 & 10 from Orlando, Florida
We are planning a little vacation from March 26 - April 2 to visit Savannah, GA; Beauford, SC; and Charleston, SC.

We will be driving from Orlando, Florida.
Please advise of the following itinerary we plan to do. Any better suggestions and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Day 1-Savannah, GA (Sat, March 26)
Wander historic district, squares, Forsyth Park with Oglethorpe Trolley tour ($15 adults/$10 kids under 11)..on/off. Visit historic homes on the squares: Juliet Gordon Low’s Birthplace; Cathedral St John’s the Baptist; First African American Baptist Church; Owens-Thomas House; City Market.

Day 2 – Savannah, GA (Sunday, March 27)
Tour Tybee Island, Fort Pulasky, Bonaventure Cemetery, Old Fort Jackson, Wormsloe Plantation.

Day 3 – head to Beauford, SC early for the day (Monday, March 28) and sleep in Charleston, SC
Do historic district downtown; Old Sheldon Church Ruin; Hunting Island State Park and Lighthouse, Boardwalk and pier; The John Mark Verdier House on Bay Street in downtown and the St. Helena's Episcopal Church. Tour The Point/Old Point Neighborhood and head to Charleston, SC in the evening.

Day 4- Still in Charleston, SC (Tuesday, March 29)
Wander historic district- Charleston and all related activities//Children’s museum; Market Square; White Point Gardens, The Battery; Waterfront Park, etc..

Day 5 – Still in Charleston, SC (Wedn, March 30)
Ashley River plantations (Middleton, Magnolia, and Drayton Hall) and the Angel Oak on Johns Island and the Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Island.


Day 6 – Still in Charleston, SC (Thursday, March 31)
Fort Moultrie (or Fort Sumter via Water taxi) and Patriot's Point. Advise which is best with kids: Fort Moultrie or Fort Sumter. Morris Island Lighthouse. Can we add anything else for that day?

Day 7 – Friday, April 1 – Stop in St Augustine, Florida for 1 night and Head back home to Orlando, Florida on Saturday, April 2.


Please share your thoughts and feedback.
Many thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 AM
 
7,100 posts, read 25,251,548 times
Reputation: 7356
Too many things to do on Day 2. Old Fort Jackson, Fort Pulaski, and Tybee would be a good days trip. Don't forget travel time and time for lunch and bathroom breaks.

Since you are coming from Florida, I doubt if you are going to think that Tybee was worth the trip. However, Fort Pulaski will put you close to it. So, I think a quick look would be in order. I would plan on seeing Fort Jackson, drive to Tybee, look around, maybe climb the light house, have lunch, stop at Fort Pulaski on the way back to Savannah.

With kids that age, a stop at the Oatland Island Wildlife Center would be a good stop. It would be on your way back from Fort Pulaski to Savannah. They would find it MUCH more interesting than Bonaventure or Wormsloe.

Bonaventure and Wormsloe would have to wait until another day. Wormsloe would be sort of out of the way for the same day as the other things that you have for Day 2. The children might not appreciate either one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 01:50 PM
912
 
1,531 posts, read 2,743,571 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

With kids that age, a stop at the Oatland Island Wildlife Center would be a good stop. It would be on your way back from Fort Pulaski to Savannah. They would find it MUCH more interesting than Bonaventure or Wormsloe.
I disagree on this one. Oatland Is. is still not in good shape & would be less than impressive to any visitor to our area, kids or not. I'd suggest stopping by the Jax Zoo on the way home for a better experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 02:06 PM
 
7,100 posts, read 25,251,548 times
Reputation: 7356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
I disagree on this one. Oatland Is. is still not in good shape & would be less than impressive to any visitor to our area, kids or not. I'd suggest stopping by the Jax Zoo on the way home for a better experience.
Oh yes! I agree on this. but I was merely thinking about what was already in the path of their trip. It's just a matter of whether or not time is available.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
 
Location: a primitive state
10,281 posts, read 21,178,712 times
Reputation: 13699
I agree about your trying to do too much.

Day 1-Savannah, GA (Sat, March 26)
Wander historic district, squares, Forsyth Park with Oglethorpe Trolley tour ($15 adults/$10 kids under 11)..on/off. Visit historic homes on the squares: Juliet Gordon Low’s Birthplace; Cathedral St John’s the Baptist; First African American Baptist Church; Owens-Thomas House; City Market.

Day 2 – Savannah, GA (Sunday, March 27)
Tour Tybee Island, Fort Pulasky, Bonaventure Cemetery, Old Fort Jackson, Wormsloe Plantation.

I think City Market isn't all that exciting but it's okay if you're just passing through. I'd choose one or the other of the two house museums. Two in one day is a lot. If you wanted to see the Jepson Center, our art museum, then your ticket to the OT house would be part of the package. The Roundhouse Railroad museum would be more interesting to kids than Bonaventure or Wormsloe, but if you go to Wormsloe then you should drive through Isle of Hope and look at the homes along the bluff. Now that's some local scenery.

Same with the forts on the next day. Do one or the other, but not both. Pulaski is grander but Ft. Jackson is funkier and is closer to the river. And I also agree that Tybee is an odd place to tour... the pier is sort of cool but if you're from Florida you've seen one already. Of course, you could say the same thing about cathedrals, too. Seen one, you've seen most of them.

My recommendation is to loosen up your itinerary, especially downtown, and allow yourself to discover surprises. When you overschedule, you miss out on really being here.

Beaufort is small so you might be able to see/do most of the things on your list.

As far as Charleston goes, it looks like your downtown day is about right but there's no way you could survive three of those plantations! Magnolia is the most tacky touristy and Drayton Hall is the most cerebral. Middleton might be your best bet. If you missed something in town on the day before, go back downtown and do that. Can't comment on Ft. Moultrie. The best part about about Sumter is the boat ride. Charlestown Landing is very popular with school groups and might be good for your kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
 
112 posts, read 414,345 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I agree about your trying to do too much.

Day 1-Savannah, GA (Sat, March 26)
Wander historic district, squares, Forsyth Park with Oglethorpe Trolley tour ($15 adults/$10 kids under 11)..on/off. Visit historic homes on the squares: Juliet Gordon Low’s Birthplace; Cathedral St John’s the Baptist; First African American Baptist Church; Owens-Thomas House; City Market.

Day 2 – Savannah, GA (Sunday, March 27)
Tour Tybee Island, Fort Pulasky, Bonaventure Cemetery, Old Fort Jackson, Wormsloe Plantation.

I think City Market isn't all that exciting but it's okay if you're just passing through. I'd choose one or the other of the two house museums. Two in one day is a lot. If you wanted to see the Jepson Center, our art museum, then your ticket to the OT house would be part of the package. The Roundhouse Railroad museum would be more interesting to kids than Bonaventure or Wormsloe, but if you go to Wormsloe then you should drive through Isle of Hope and look at the homes along the bluff. Now that's some local scenery.

Same with the forts on the next day. Do one or the other, but not both. Pulaski is grander but Ft. Jackson is funkier and is closer to the river. And I also agree that Tybee is an odd place to tour... the pier is sort of cool but if you're from Florida you've seen one already. Of course, you could say the same thing about cathedrals, too. Seen one, you've seen most of them.

My recommendation is to loosen up your itinerary, especially downtown, and allow yourself to discover surprises. When you overschedule, you miss out on really being here.

Beaufort is small so you might be able to see/do most of the things on your list.

As far as Charleston goes, it looks like your downtown day is about right but there's no way you could survive three of those plantations! Magnolia is the most tacky touristy and Drayton Hall is the most cerebral. Middleton might be your best bet. If you missed something in town on the day before, go back downtown and do that. Can't comment on Ft. Moultrie. The best part about about Sumter is the boat ride. Charlestown Landing is very popular with school groups and might be good for your kids.
ok. How about this revision:

Day 2 – Savannah, GA (Sunday, March 27)
Drive out to the Isle of Hope. Go along the Bluff, check out Wormsloe Plantation and other homes + Scenery. Bonaventure cemetery.
Afternoon: back to Historic District

Day 3
Do Fort Pulaski. Tour Tybee Island, Tybee Lighthouse ,Cockspur Lighthouse. Head to Hilton Head for the night

Day 4- early at 8am leave Hilton Head and head to Beaufort for full day activities and then head to Charleston at night.

Day 5 - Start Charleston activities

Day 6 – Still in Charleston, SC
Ashley River plantations (Middleton and Drayton Hall) + and the Angel Oak on Johns Island. Historic District in pm

Day 7 – Still in Charleston, SC
Fort Sumter via Water taxi + Morris Island Lighthouse.
Heas to Florida in afternoon.

Let me know what you think or feel free to reorganize to where it make more sense to avoid any backtracking.

Thanks everyone and looking to your fedback and suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 PM
 
40 posts, read 121,344 times
Reputation: 20
great time to visit those forts and the lighthouse with NOOOOOOOOO air conditioning!! Never, ever visit during the summer, haha! Kids DO love the roundhouse downtown. If you visit the lighthouse, make sure to step across the street for the tiny museum (fort screven) that has the history of Tybee in it, but everyone can even go to the top of the fort and run around and look at the water from up a little higher. That is one museum my kids REALLY enjoyed. I wish that I would've brought spray bottles of water to keep me cooler in those forts during the summer (fort screven IS air conditioned and may be the reason that we loved it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 AM
 
Location: a primitive state
10,281 posts, read 21,178,712 times
Reputation: 13699
I'd skip Hilton Head and go straight to Beaufort, it's out of the way (nearly as far as driving straight to Beaufort) and not terribly interesting unless you're there on an extended beach vacation. Other than that, your itinerary is sounding much more realistic.

If you run out of things to do while in Beaufort, there's the Penn Center on St. Helena's Island. The Penn Center - A link to the past and a bridge to the future located on St. Helena Island, South Carolina. It would provide a helpful perspective on all of those plantations you're getting ready to visit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top