Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,636,488 times

Advertisements

Anybody been thru this process? Where and how do you begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 AM

55 posts, read 118,048 times
I'll be watching this thread to see what answers you get. My realtor said that she's seen appeals work and not work for people that live in the same neighborhood. I would contact the tax office and ask them directly how to appeal...those ladies seem really nice on the phone and I'm sure they'll give you a little bit of information. But if there's a secret formula I'd love to know it.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,107,076 times
Make sure you know what's going on in your neighborhood first.

Due to certain homeowners rules and discounts, two houses, side by side can have BIG differences in tax bills even though appraised the same. House A maybe getting a homestead exemption, Stephens-Day Discount, Over 65 discount, and low income level discount. House B, if it were just sold to a new owner, might have none of these and a much higher bill.

It doesn't seem fair, but it's to protect the long time home owner from having to sell because of rising assessments. It keeps the tax bill the same until the house is sold. The new owners will be looking at a new rate.

A garage or workshop can raise the assessment.

Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Just a thought as to what you might think about. We had the assessment on our house reduced because it was listed on the tax books as "3 bedrooms." We appealed this on the grounds that it was only a 2 bedroom. The third room had been a small library or den and didn't have a closet. Also, placement of doors made it difficult to find space for a bed. If you can find something of this nature, or that the house is next to a very noisy store, etc. you will have better luck.

List anything that you can think of that makes your house worth less than the surrounding houses. It's the assessment BEFORE discounts that is important.

If you moved in (or had the utility bills put in your name) in 2010, apply for homestead exemption.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM

^^^^Thanks for the info so far. Here's part of my concern. I own several houses in the VD. Aside from my "principal house" which is completly updated, rented, and has my small apt. in it for my monthly visits, all the rest have been bought for re-hab and put on the market for renting.
One house which I closed on several days ago is taxed on an appraisel that is more than TWO TIMES what I paid for it. It's a large house (3400 SF two units with a vacant lot of 31x105 feet) but the house can only reach what it "valued at for tax purposes" if I renovate it. Yes, then it gets closer to the value.....BUT not as-is. I'm thinking of getting it re-assesed now. Am I on track here or not??

TIA for any info, thoughts, opinions.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

I won't even pretend to know anything about such a situation. However, I'm thinking as you do, an "as is" assessment would be a good thing to do to establish a more reasonable resale value.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM

11,367 posts, read 24,329,295 times
Glossary Of Terms

The BOA webpage is not as easy to navigate as it once was. Looks like your first step is to notify them in writing, if you have not already done so.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 PM

^^^^Great link Ellie . Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area