Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 PM

175 posts, read 421,573 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about when the trees start turning, and when they start dropping leaves out here? And about how many months on average will they stay bare? When they turn out here, its it showy or just a few here and there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Well, they don't "turn" in the same sense that the trees in more northern areas do. Most of the oaks simply dump their leaves in the early spring and start new growth at once. The pines drop needles all year. Oaks and Pines make up most of the trees. The rest of them gradually begin to lose their leaves in the early fall and continue for a couple of months. This area is really mostly green all year around. The trees that do go bare, only stay that way for a couple of months before warm weather starts them sprouting new growth.

It's not showy at all. We don't have the sudden frost and cold nights that cause that look. There are a few maples that will show color, but they are so few and far between that they look odd. There are plantings of Balford (sp?) Pears that show some color.

Instead of fall color, we have spring color. That's when there are a gadzillion different colors of green everywhere. Fantastic! But you have to be looking for it. It's sort of subtle.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Oh I love the spring here love the different greens, I zone out my back windows all day (Face woods with honeysuckle, butterfly bush, tulip tree and others) Just wondering what fall would bring too

Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Fall sort of sneaks by. One day it's Summer, the next, the camillias are blooming, and the next, well, it's Spring and everything else blooms. That is, that's the way it usually is. This year.....nothing went according to plan!

Enjoy! Summer is almost here.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 AM

107 posts, read 187,911 times
I-Ruehl when did you move to Georgia and where are you approximately and do you really truly love it, if so where did you move from. Did you have a problem finding employment? Are you renting or did you purchase a house? If you are renting what is the approximate rent for a three bedroom in your vacinity? I have been tossing around this idea of moving my family down there, my dad and half sister and brother live there in Statesboro so I would like to live no more than 1 hour away in any direction. I am a Certified Surgical Technologist, so are the hospitals hiring now, if you know. Any information you could share would be helpful. Thank you so much

Michelle Johnson

Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM

I have been here since Dec 2010. I like it alot. Not as much as Hawaii, but thats Hawaii LOL! I own a house, in the southside. Love my neighborhood, neighbors. I am not working now, husbands in the army, so cant tell you about the jobs. The rent in my area is around 900-1000 for a 3 bed, 2 bath ranch. I am in between both hospitals, but about 5 min from chandler. I don't live in the historic area, but in the 1970 ranch with large yards, mature trees, and neighbors who take good care of their homes. My home is tucked back into a neighborhood with not alot of traffic, same people coming and going, but its right off of 3 well traveled roads. Everyone seems to know each other, everyone talks, and hangs out in each others yard, so it has good community feel. There is one group of ghetto mentality kids that suck, I think my husband scared them off when he busted them stealing lights from the neighbors driveway, they don't sit around our house anymore! I live in the "Largo Woods: houses.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM

107 posts, read 187,911 times
Thank you for the information I-Ruehl very appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area