Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Location: Denver until May, then Alaska for the Summer, and then, finally, Savannah, GA
16 posts, read 74,983 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I'm curious about non-college-based social functions in Savannah for out-going 30-somethings. What do all y'all do to keep busy and be friendly year-round? I'm moving from a place where we have a kick-ball organization (non-competitive, just for fun and to raise money for local charities), art-walks once a month around the gallery districts, concerts in parks, a lot of 5k races (again, to raise money for charity), a weekly bicycle ride to a few local pubs, and then the usual night-out type fun with friends. Just curious if Savannah has any organized social fun like this, or if we'll have to try to rally new friends to create some new fun when we arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,979 times
Savannah is more like a retirement state! high crime rate because its absolutely nothing to do here. after u visit the few bars and see the same folk each week it gets pretty boring! take it from a native!in her 20s

Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowGirl2011 View Post
Hello All! I'm curious about non-college-based social functions in Savannah for out-going 30-somethings. What do all y'all do to keep busy and be friendly year-round? I'm moving from a place where we have a kick-ball organization (non-competitive, just for fun and to raise money for local charities), art-walks once a month around the gallery districts, concerts in parks, a lot of 5k races (again, to raise money for charity), a weekly bicycle ride to a few local pubs, and then the usual night-out type fun with friends. Just curious if Savannah has any organized social fun like this, or if we'll have to try to rally new friends to create some new fun when we arrive.
How old was I when I lived there--between 30-40?

All of this is available in Savannah--there is tennis, running--and from those groups you would hear of many other things. Volunteer opportunities--certainly plenty of those in Savannah. If you are interested in history--plenty of ways to connect with others who deeply share this interest.

http://www.wileyschampionshipbbq.com...0-in-savannah/

Oatland Island---Skidaway Institute/marine issues---connected to preserving the beaches and ecosystems.

River Street--'First Saturday'--Art walks.

City Market--artisans can be found there.

Food--certain there are groups that share this interest.

Church--always a good way to meet people.

Touring Savannah---I did this by myself--preferred it--but there are plenty of ways to find groups to do this.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM

175 posts, read 418,558 times
I go fishing, fun...check. Sun...check. Other than that, cant help yah.

Try this City of Savannah Visitors Home Page (http://www.savannahga.gov/cityweb/SavannahGaGOV.nsf/mainportal/visitors?opendocument - broken link)

And keep an eye on the newspaper, calendars and such!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
Default Illegal Rooming Houses

I have tried (without sucess) to get a city response that has some positive results in investigating an illegal rooming house in my nabe. As much as several agencies promise, promise, promise, nothing seems to work.The house is on the pending action list published by the city but life goes on as usual at The House from Hell.

I'm thinking that my next step might be a petition signed by concerned neighbors and presented to_________________________? Or,maybe a photo file of some of the actions of the ppl that live there. In the long run I'm getting the feeling the this sort of stuff makes headlines once a year but "nothing really happens." Hope I'm wrong.

I would welcome any suggestions or directions from others that might have been a party to this problem.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
^^^^^Note to mod. I wanted this as a "new thread" and somehow placed it in "fun in the Sun (which it is not) in error.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 AM

175 posts, read 418,558 times
hahahaha^^^^^ thats not fun!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM

14 posts, read 93,519 times
"non-college-based social functions in Savannah for out-going 30-somethings" . . .

Let me know when you find something :-). It's almost impossible. Maybe you should move to London, Paris, New York instead!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 AM

24 posts, read 102,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowGirl2011 View Post
I'm moving from a place where we have a kick-ball organization (non-competitive, just for fun and to raise money for local charities), art-walks once a month around the gallery districts, concerts in parks, a lot of 5k races (again, to raise money for charity), a weekly bicycle ride to a few local pubs, and then the usual night-out type fun with friends.
Almost all these things you mentioned exist here (contrary to other statements). I have looked but not found kick-ball but would love to see that get started.

There's an incredible number of 5k and other races here - Inquire at Fleet Feet Savannah. Savannah Music Festival just finished up but look out for the free Jazz Festival in the fall, free SCAD Grad concert in May, Sidewalk Arts Fest in April, and various film festivals. There's plenty of events at Tybee, River Street and City Market (as mentioned). Loco's Gril/Pub has a trivia night (Wed. night on Broughton) that can be fun. Historic Savannah has numerous mixers/events for members and young professionals. Check with Savannah Bicycle Campaign for various community rides and events. Check the Sentient Bean for other shows, poetry slams, open mic nights, etc. There's plenty here (especially for a town this size) just keep looking and hook up with new friends to show the way.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:03 PM

Location: Denver until May, then Alaska for the Summer, and then, finally, Savannah, GA
16 posts, read 74,983 times
Score! Thanks for the responses! We just may have to establish a kickball league once we get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: