Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 AM

13 posts, read 30,473 times

Advertisements

We are considering the Savannah area for relocation in a few years because we're looking for a place that doesn't get cold in the winter but is close enough to drive back to MD visit family.

It is very hot and humid in MD in the summer, but only usually during July and August. It looks like Savannah has temps in the 80's+ from around April through October. Is it always very humid when the temps are that high?

I don't mind the heat, and I can stand the humidity for a few months, but hot and humid for 8 months out of the year would be a killer!

Thanks so much for any info! Savannah looks like a beautiful area, and I'm really hoping we'll love it when we visit in July. Is July the best time to get the full force of the worst of the heat and humidity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
No, mostly July and August, but it is HOT!!! Due to the location there isn't much of a breeze so its very sticky during summer.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
No, mostly July and August, but it is HOT!!! Due to the location there isn't much of a breeze so its very sticky during summer.
Try most of the year actually.

Savannah's on the coast, so humidity will most always play some role in the weather here. It intensifies the heat starting in May (maybe even at the tail end of this month) and helps to keep things sticky through the start of October. During the winter months (Dec, Jan & Feb), humidity has the opposite affect: it helps to intensify the cold.

If you're in MD & seek proximity and less humidity, why not try VA?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
During July and August, the humidity will run about 90 to 100% for days and days. This makes the heat index run above 100 degrees. A few days last summer were over 115 heat index. Sweat doesn't evaporate and cool you in humidity like that. You just stay wet.

We stay indoors in the AC as much as possible.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

If you're in MD & seek proximity and less humidity, why not try VA?
Thanks for your reply. What my husband wants is a place that doesn't get cold in winter. There isn't any place in VA that I've been able to find that stays warm enough in winter (min. upper 50's during the day and mid 30's at night.) If you know of any, please let me know!

If distance were no consideration, AZ is our first choice because of the lack of humidty. Family is all on the east coast though so I am hoping we can find something that will be warm enough for him but not kill me with the humidity!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
During July and August, the humidity will run about 90 to 100% for days and days. This makes the heat index run above 100 degrees. A few days last summer were over 115 heat index. Sweat doesn't evaporate and cool you in humidity like that. You just stay wet.

We stay indoors in the AC as much as possible.
That's pretty much what it's like here in Jul/Aug but sounds a little more intense down there!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 PM

55 posts, read 118,472 times
Prescott, AZ is wonderful with lots of green and no humidity! Humidity is just not a factor unless you work outside. When the humidity is high you are only out in it going to and from your car to a building or your home. Otherwise you're safe in the a/c. Or if you're out on Tybee the breeze will keep the humidity feel down low. Enjoy the curly hair, tank tops, capri's and strappy sandals...and waterproof mascara/eyeliner! The people are awesome!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
We're not far from the Chesapeake Bay, and it usually provides a little relief with the breezes. I was hoping Savannah being on the ocean would do the same. Sounds like it's just too darn hot down there for cool ocean breezes.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepforgettingusername View Post
Prescott, AZ is wonderful with lots of green and no humidity! Humidity is just not a factor unless you work outside. When the humidity is high you are only out in it going to and from your car to a building or your home. Otherwise you're safe in the a/c. Or if you're out on Tybee the breeze will keep the humidity feel down low. Enjoy the curly hair, tank tops, capri's and strappy sandals...and waterproof mascara/eyeliner! The people are awesome!
I don't work outside, but I do spend a lot of time outside, and we fish, kayak, hike, camp, etc. I could live with being holed up inside with the A/C cranked 2-3 months out of the year in exchange for a nice warm winter! Right now, we can enjoy the outdoors some days in March, most of April, May, June (unless it's unusually humid), Sept, Oct, and mid-late Nov. The you get odd nice days in Dec, but Jan, Feb, most of March, July, and August, you're pretty much indoors with heat or A/C!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM

175 posts, read 421,313 times
I am scared of the summer that has been described, fish swimming in the air,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area