U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM

610 posts, read 1,454,078 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am up for an interview in the area. 31401 is the zip of the company. I probably am jumping the gun, but I'm too excited. I don't want to drive more than 30 minutes to work, is this zip area a "good" area to live in, or what's nearby and popular for a married 20- something couple, no kids for awhile, no more than $1k month rental...thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 04:18 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,295,926 times
That Zip is the code for the small downtown/business/tourist/historical district. Not too much in the way of housing compared to other areas.

Just about anywhere in the Chatham County/Savannah area would be only 30 minutes from 31401. During rush hours....maybe 45 minutes.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM

610 posts, read 1,454,078 times
Ok, I'm browsing through your forums. Really excited! We have friends who live on Whitemarsh, and I see another poster said Beaufort is worth checking into? I like to run in the evening, so I see places downtown probably aren't safe. What is a good 'burb/area we could rent in for the first year living there? How far is the beach?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,749,302 times
Check 31419, 31410 or 313** (whatever Pooler is). Beaufort is nice, but it's also about an hour away.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 AM

40,470 posts, read 50,026,470 times
If I were a young couple I would love to live downtown in the 31401 zip code. It's where SCAD is, so you know there must be plenty of reasonable apts. To be able to walk to City Market, the bars and restaurants, and the other activities in that area would be super fun.
Don't even think about going to the suburbs until you've lived downtown for awhile to see how you like it. There are a gazillion apartment management companies here, so just start contacting them when it gets close to time. Also go to realtor.com and look under rentals.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 PM

24 posts, read 95,627 times
31401, as mentioned, is the central heart of Savannah. If you want picture postcard Savannah city living this would be the place to be. I wouldn't rent anywhere sight unseen but safety is not a major concern in the heart of downtown. A bike would get stolen if its not chained up but you can certainly run in downtown in the evenings, especially around Forsyth Park and the squares, simply because the area is so active and there are lots of eyes on the street. There is tons of housing options downtown, especially for a couple without kids, and plenty to do activity wise as mentioned by gentlearts. However, you don't have to live downtown to have easy access to area fun (downtown historic district, Forsyth and Daffin Park, Tybee, Skidaway State Park)

Of course, you'll have more housing options if you widen your search. A 30 minute commute here is just about the whole county. But why do more than 5 minutes if you don't have to (have you seen gas prices)? Ardsley Park and Baldwin Park (31405) are great walkable historic neighborhoods with small homes for rent in your range, not to mention massive old mansions as well. The Islands would certainly have apartments or homes in your range and fewer concerns about safety. The area around Berwick (Hwy 17) is all new development with plenty of apartments/new homes south of Savannah (31419). Old town Beaufort is gorgeous but a further drive from downtown Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area