U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM

518 posts, read 1,863,640 times

Advertisements

OK............Here's the deal...........got a 'good' deal on almost a week at the River Street Inn in a couple of weeks.........

That's the good news. The bad news is that priceline didn't tell us that the roof and hottub was not working and I never dreamed that there would not be a pool of any type at a hotel in the south at all. I know........that is very much my fault....I cannot rebook or get any sort of switch in booking at all. There are no options......at least Expedia will let you switch......they will charge a fee, but will work with you......most others also. So, it is my last time to book through Priceline............most other booking places will charge but let you rebook........

Daughter is not a fan of beaches, has a disability and I am just feeling horrible that she graduates this year and I picked a hotel in the south with no pool......When we get down to Savannah I know I can go to Tybee Island but guess I will have to buy beach chairs, umbrellas, the works so that she won't burn or be uncomfortable when we are there........

Any possibilities of any sort of club or pool where we could pay to get in???? There are a couple of places where we live, but the locals know about them........one is a hotel that takes poolside people for a fee and one is a YMCA and one is a huge pool associated with the local hospital here.

Any community pools, water parks, places with a pool where we could get a day pass or any places on Tybee where we can rent some chairs, umbrellas and not have to buy the entire items just to leave them when we get back on the plane.........It's going to be hard enough to leave as it is, I imagine. Heard good things about Savannah and area.............

Thanks for any help you can give..........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,249,368 times
If the weather stays as weird as it has been, you may not want to go to Tybee.....it's too cool for just lying around on the beach. A nice casual stroll would be about all you would want. We have the heater on one day and the next is time for the Air Conditioner. Then, back again to the heater. That's about how it would be for an outside pool anywhere too. As I said, this year is really weird!!

I am guessing that you want an outside pool. If an indoor pool would suit OK, then the Aquantic Center on Sally Mood Drive might work. It's large, and unless things have changed, will sell tickets for the visitor. It's strictly a business type pool. No sitting and having fun at the pool side. Just swimming.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 AM

40,250 posts, read 49,757,290 times
Have you suggested that the River Street Inn might arrange for a reciprocal arrangement with another nearby hotel? I don't know anything about them, but I would think the hotels would do this for each other.
Failing that, I would explain my problem to the manager of another hotel and maybe they would choose to accomodate you, so next time you will stay at their hotel.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 AM

24 posts, read 95,459 times
Talking with the management is a good place to start. If that doesn't work contact the local YMCA and inquire about the pool schedule at the Habersham Y (main branch), Islands Y, or Tybee Island Y.

Home | YMCA of Coastal Georgia

There are several beach gear rental outfits as well:
Tim's Beach Gear - Tybee Island, GA - Bike, Beach & Baby Equipment Rentals
http://chandlerbeachrentals.com/

Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 PM

Question Thank you all.............

I do truly appreciate all of the help and suggestions. I am not happy because I was not aware at all that even the roof and hot tub are not working and are being renovated.

I have called a couple of times to ask about any possible reciprocal agreement and all I ever get is the standard.........
'this hotel is a historical hotel, so we cannot have a pool......' I asked when I was thinking about booking if it was good for children and they said, 'Oh, we have children all the time........' At the time that seemed like a good enough answer but thinking back I am wondering if those children absolutely hated the place and never wanted to go back there again because there was nothing to do but walk around and watch tv at night.

This is totally my fault and I have learned a valuable lesson, but will try to find out about the places you all have mentioned.....In my guidebook there is also a mention about a certain beach at Tybee that will rent chairs and umbrellas............did I mention that she does burn easily, so likes the pools and umbrellas around.......I am feeling like a terrible mother who wanted to save money but made a bad decision........would rather just rebook but cannot even do that.

We are coming in next week, so hopefully the first poster's comment about the cold weather is no longer true. I thought I just saw last week where it was low to mid 80's for the highs..........

If there are things you can think of that a teen might like to see, please mention it if you can.........think a dolphin cruise would be fun for her and seeing the lighthouse and she loves seafood, and will like the ocean for awhile......think I read about a certain mall that is pretty unique also or maybe it's an outlet mall?????????

Thanks for the tips about the swimming areas.........I also want her to see some historic places and we plan on doing one of the ghost tours......she will love that. If anyone has specific kudos for any of these, please advise.......Again, greatly appreciate all of your help. I have helped lots of people out on this site on areas that I know of...........thing that is one of the coolest thing about this site. You know you are getting the truth and not someone who has been paid to make a recommendation.....

Have a great evening : )))))))))))))))))

Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Question Oh, I forgot. She saw Miley Cyrus movie.....Sea turtle status????

What areas are best for finding out more info re: sea turtles........she is a huge nature lover and don't know timing of sea turtle breeding, but where would be a good place to see exhibit, etc........We will have a rental car, so can drive a little way to visit...........

Any other wildlife? A zoo?????? Sorry to ask so many questions but this graduation is huge............she has worked very hard for several years with this disability to get this far and is going to continue her education........and is a sweetheart of a kid............THANKS!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:18 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,249,368 times
The Oakland Island Wildlife preserve is on the way to Tybee Island. She might like to see that. Also, there is an exhibit of some sort about the turtles, etc. at Tybee. I can't give you any particulars about it, but I am sure that some one can.

There may even be a web site for it.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:51 PM

55 posts, read 104,487 times
Oatland Island (not Oakland) one place, but my daughter volunteers there, and it seems boring to me. Skidaway Island has an aquarium that has interactive displays where you can touch the animals and also it has it's own sea turtle and a "marsh" nature walk is fun too - admission is cash only and $7 for adults. Now, at Jekyl Island there is a sea turtle rescue (www.seaturtlerescue.org) that is supposed to be awesome--it's only about an hour away. I'll be going next week with my family. When my parents come to visit we'll do a trolley tour (the less walking the better) which will include City Market, River Street, churches, all the parks and fountains, etc. and they advertise night haunted tours where you can either walk or ride a trolley OR in a hearse! Don't expect to see sea turtles or a nest on Tybee. What tourists can reach is not where the turtles lay eggs and the locals are very protective of sea turtle nesting sites. Dolphin tours right now aren't very exciting because there are only about 75 dolphins in the area...in the fall there are around 500 according to my research. In the fall you can swim out at Tybee and dolphins get in close to shore to catch fish. It's pretty neat, and a lot cheaper than a $40 per person 45 minute dolphin tour. Sorry I was disappointed with Captain Mike! I am told that Bull River Dolphin Tours are longer and less expensive. We might try them next week too. I hope you guys have a great time! There is so much to do that you'll just need to start at the visitor's center and decide what would work for you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area