Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowGirl2011 View Post
If you check the city information on City-data here for Savannah, the politics are (or should be) IDEAL. The city is pretty evenly split between the blues and reds, which *should* lead to some great discourse among the politicos. While it is always nice to be around like-minded people, we should welcome healthy debate over our views. Unfortunately, some people treat politics like sports, though, and back a team blindly and start saying things that make us forget what the politics in this nation are really about. I can't recall who on here called someone a fascist, but applying that term to any American who participates in the politics of the nation is mildly accurate - our political system IS run like a business and I think everyone can agree, regardless of their "side", that most of our federal (and increasingly the state elected) politicians increasingly behave in a CYA mode perpetually. They're all doing a job, yes, but they all are supremely concerned with losing said job and how to leverage as much benefit from their job while they do hold it.
I will have to ping you, York, once we hit Savannah this fall. I'd love to meet up with even tempered people who like to talk about such fun stuff! Um... that said, I guess I have no answer for your original question. HA! Sorry and good luck finding someone to talk to instead of just a cheerleader for a political team.
On Fascism....

A comparison to Teapartiers

Fascism ( /ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a radical, authoritarian nationalist political ideology.[1][2] Fascists seek to organize a nation according to corporatist perspectives, values, and systems, including the political system and the economy.[3] They advocate the creation of a totalitarian single-party state that seeks the mass mobilization of a nation and the creation of an ideal "new man" to form a governing elite through indoctrination, physical education, and family policy including eugenics.[4] Fascists believe that a nation requires strong leadership, singular collective identity, and the will and ability to commit violence and wage war in order to keep the nation strong.[5] Fascist governments forbid and suppress opposition to the state.[6]

This isn't far from what the Far right wing conservatives and Tea party want. Replace Eugenics with "no mixing of blood between races".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 01:59 PM

180 posts, read 406,548 times
Default Forum sounds like US Congresspeople

All of the postss, including the initial one, are all catty, snide and worthless. None address the topic nor do they show the civility that some say they want. Maybe most came from Washington, DC.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM

175 posts, read 421,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
All of the postss, including the initial one, are all catty, snide and worthless. None address the topic nor do they show the civility that some say they want. Maybe most came from Washington, DC.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkMorris View Post
Thank you gentlearts. I already joined the state party. I would enjoy meeting you when you get to Savannah, CowGirl. Yes, I enjoy discourse with people who often share similar views. I've discovered talking to right-wing extremists is a waste of time (one, overhearing my conversation with another person, actually SPAT at me). However, to improve Georgia's dismal record in education, make quality health case available to all and to inject fairness into the tax system, it takes more than talk and voting--it takes activism.
Oh boy, they love it down here when folks come from up north to fix them....Just sayin.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 PM

35 posts, read 72,158 times
Gentlearts, I'd have the same opinion if I lived in Utah, Arizona, Hawaii or Wisconsin. I'm an American. It strikes me that, having live in many the country, no other region considers itself a separate entity--a society in which "outsiders" are circumspect. Most of my direct ancestors settled in Virginia, New York and New England between 1633 and 1700. Generations of my mother's family were landowners in Virginia (yes--the South) at a time when many ancestors of established Savannahians were picking blighted potato shards out of their teeth in Ireland. And a number of my forefathers fought the British and helped establish this country. (And they fought in the Civil War--on both sides.) I'm an American. And, like most people who give a damn, I want what I believe to be best for our country. My ancestors fought to give me the freedom to speak my mind and follow my own beliefs. Savannah is my home and part of my country...just sayin.'

Old 04-10-2011, 06:03 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
^^^^Nothing wrong with that but all Gentleart said was "they love it here" (when someone especially from the North comes down to give them an education :> )

I have found Southeners to be good listeners.. . . . .bless their hearts.

Well aren't they????

Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 AM

People here can be wonderful listeners and delightful conversationalists. I love the vivid use of language and storytelling tradition of the South--which reminds me of my mother's family. I've spoken with people here who have a profound knowledge and respect of history, who quote poetry, talk about literature and who inquire politely about health/happiness, etc. Older waitresses here call me "hon" just like they do in my mother's home town. And "Southern hospitality" is no myth. My parent's closest friends, our "aunt" and "uncle," are Texans. I love them dearly and learned from them exactly how I want guests treated in my home.

I don't want to change any of this, just learn from my new neighbors and enjoy them--bless their hearts. ;-) However, my political and social views are the same--whether I'm in Georgia, California or Europe. (I also grew up with debate being part of the dinner table ritual.)

Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I've been too busy lately to make any helpful suggestions, YorkMorris. Personally, I feel like we're in the midst of a very strange and terrible internal political war here in the US. I'm not sure which organization would meet your needs. Recently, it seems that using Facebook is the most expedient way to connect with like-minded groups and individuals here and elsewhere. It's looser than joining a real life civic group but, as I imagine you're already quite aware, it can lead to crucial and meaningful contacts.

You also might find joining less political, but equally progressive organizations here in Savannah, might help you connect to the people you'd like to know and work with in the future.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Thanks, ellie. Good suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: