Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:16 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Happy View Post
When the lights go out, the streets turn into operation ghetto drive by. Savannah is horribly poverty ridden, and unemployment is at an all time high. Even local rapper, Jason "Camoflauge" Johnson was gunned down in front of the studio he recorded with, holding his son, in broad daylight. In one of his raps he described the situation perfectly. "Only in the ghetto can you go to the corner store, purchase a crack pipe, one razor, and two Newports. Go to the crackers neighbor hood for that shi*, and they're looking at you crazy like, N*gg* this ain't the projects." The crime here is like an everyday occurrence, if you don't see it... your blind. I guess I can say that Savannah has just corrupted me, but I'm proud to be surviving it. My friends grandparents once said, "It's a pretty place, but everywhere you go your five minutes way from the ghetto." Thats the truth. RIP Camoflauge.
Honey, that's the truth in almost any Southern city you go to and may be the truth in almost any American city, if you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiene View Post
i am moving to hunter army airfield, is the housing on post there or do you have to live off-post and if so what are some good areas close to Hunter?
Are you single, or with family? My son is a soldier at Hunter and lived in new barracks on base until he got married. Many of the single soldiers share rental houses nearby (like Pooler), too. If you have a family, I believe there is a waiting list for base housing.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
This is an old thread, but as I read it it really gives me pause. We still plan to move there, but it will no doubt suffer from a huge culture shock compared to rural Ohio.
I am sick of living in a bubble anyway. It's boring. I will welcome the exhilaration and challenge of living there. Maybe I'll get a gun.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:05 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
You'll enjoy living here gentlearts. I wouldn't fret too much about the crime. It usually stays in certain small pockets of town and that's about it unless something rare happens. As it has been said before, our crime is about what it should be for a medium-sized city.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:45 AM

98 posts, read 389,201 times
Savannah's crime is NOT what it should be for a medium-sized city. Please read...
SAVANNAH RED: Savannah Is Still Dangerous Even Though It Was Left Off The List

Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingHoosier View Post
Savannah's crime is NOT what it should be for a medium-sized city. Please read...
SAVANNAH RED: Savannah Is Still Dangerous Even Though It Was Left Off The List
If you're going to bash the city for it's crime, at least get a more updated article

Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Yeah because it has cleaned up so much over the past couple of years...

Old 01-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingHoosier View Post
Yeah because it has cleaned up so much over the past couple of years...
Do you live here? I do. I live downtown. I can personally tell you about the crime in this city. Where to go, where not to. Personally, I believe A LOT of people love to pick on Savannah for it's crime and take it soo far out of hand to make it sound like a 3rd world country when it is really comparable to any other mid-sized city.
If you are going to list crime stats or news, etc, you should at least do an updated one. That isn't an underhanded way of saying the stats have improved BTW, it's simply saying to get an updated one.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:24 PM

I do live here. I've lived downtown in two diffferent locations (by forsyth and on oglethorpe), Wilmington Island, Georgetown, and now Thunderbolt. I can also tell you where to go and where not to as I am a tour guide in my off time. I've heard gunshots three times, once from a car right outside of the house I was living in, once just down the street from my house, and once on the other side of the apartment complex I currently live in. I've drove past or around a handful of "crime scenes", a few within blocks of the places I was living in. I have felt unsafe walking my dog outside of my house just so he could use the restroom. I love Savannah SO MUCH and I think that is why it upsets me so much that it is such a dangerous place to live. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to and when ever I go out of town I can't wait to get back because of its beauty. Unfortunately, that anticipation is ruined quickly when I drive out of a beautiful area (the historic district) and into a slum (almost everywhere else downtown). I had such high hopes of the city when I moved here 3 years ago and was and am extremely disappointed.
I had a hard time finding anymore updated crime statistics than 2008. Many of the websites that I looked at just listed 2008. Maybe you can do better than I. I had an even harder time trying to find any cities that were even close in population to Savannah, with comparable crime statistics. Savannah's beat their numbers by a long shot...
In 2008 Savannah...
Murders 26
Rapes 37
Robberies 804
Assaults 418
Burgluaries 2,974
Thefts 7,064!!!!
Car Thefts 1,212
Arsons 62

Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't exactly categorize everywhere else downtown as a slum. I live near the Thomas Square part of downtown and walk around frequently at night and feel safe. There are, of course, a few variables as to why that is. For one, the precinct is within a few blocks of where I live and the people that live in the area, though mixed with lower income locals, are mostly SCAD students and there are even a few middle class families that live around here I've seen with their kids and pets walking down Lincoln.
Yeah, there are bad areas, of course, and they aren't too far away from the good areas. Cross the railroad tracks east of East Broad and you are getting into rough territory. Same goes with Montgomery & MLK Streets on the west end of downtown. There is also a rough patch south of 37th in the Jefferson Street corridor. Once you get into Ardsley Park, there are good and bad pockets.

There is a website the SCMPD has which includes a map of Savannah and lists the places where crime takes place and can go back for quite a while. Here's the link Metro Crime Maps I would suggest comparing different areas of town and keep in mind that the population will be denser in the downtown area compared to other places such as Southside, Thunderbolt or Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area