U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM

9 posts, read 23,573 times

Advertisements

I am a white Iranian, and am moving to Savannah for a job, and I consider myself to be a liberal Muslim. I have heard that the southeastern US is among the most conservative parts of the country. Should I be worried about treatment of myself and my family in this region?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM

3,871 posts, read 5,561,903 times
No, you have the same people in all areas who hate outsiders. 30 years ago it was a lot more in the open, but now with shifting populations it isn't as much.

Also how you dress, act, think, and present yourself are more a deciding factor than anything.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM

8 posts, read 21,504 times
I expect the people of Savannah to be tolerant of all races, religions, and creeds. Having just spent two months in Savannah, this is what I witnessed. Savannah is a cosmopolitan area made up of every ethnic group one can think of. I would expect you to be welcome everywhere.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,257,321 times
Anywhere you go, you will find people that don't like anyone that isn't exactly like they are. Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Baptists, tall, short, fat, black or white. It doesn't make any difference.

So, if you happen to get between a couple of those kind of people, you might be ignored, but that's about it. Savannah is a Port City, and because of that, we have always had just about any type of person, with all sorts of belief systems, living here. You will be treated just as you treat others.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,744,224 times
I can't agree with any of these sentiments. Being a port city is irrelevant, as those who come here on ships also leave on those very same ships & rarely wander more than 2-3 miles from their vessel. The other two comments were made by individuals who haven't spent enough time here.

OP, you must understand, things are very different since 9-11. While you may not have had any involvement in the attack, many people see your faith as one of hatred towards non-believers (infidels). Between that & the complete lack of outcry from your fellow muslims against terrorism, expect to be met with some looks at a minimum. Hopefully, through your deeds & actions, you can show us that you will properly assimilate into our American culture.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,257,321 times
You might like to check this site:

Islamic Center of Savannah

I think that one of the previous posters did not quite understand what I meant when I said "Port City"

Since the very begining of the colony, Savannah has welcomed groups of people from all over the world that were seeking to begin a new life free of the restriction on their own particular beliefs. They came, got off the SAILING SHIPS AND STAYED to make their homes here. Religious differences have always been a part of our society. I did not mean the modern day traveler. I meant the travelers from the historic beginnings of Savannah and surrounding areas.

I know that Iranians have lived and worked in Savannah for quite some time. As far as I know, they have not had problems.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,744,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You might like to check this site:

I think that one of the previous posters did not quite understand what I meant when I said "Port City"

Since the very begining of the colony, Savannah has welcomed groups of people from all over the world that were seeking to begin a new life free of the restriction on their own particular beliefs. They came, got off the SAILING SHIPS AND STAYED to make their homes here. Religious differences have always been a part of our society. I did not mean the modern day traveler. I meant the travelers from the historic beginnings of Savannah and surrounding areas.

I know that Iranians have lived and worked in Savannah for quite some time. As far as I know, they have not had problems.
I DO mean the modern day traveler, as that's how your reference to us being a port city would have any relevance to the OP. History doesn't help him. Just to be clear.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 AM

9 posts, read 23,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
I can't agree with any of these sentiments. Being a port city is irrelevant, as those who come here on ships also leave on those very same ships & rarely wander more than 2-3 miles from their vessel. The other two comments were made by individuals who haven't spent enough time here.

OP, you must understand, things are very different since 9-11. While you may not have had any involvement in the attack, many people see your faith as one of hatred towards non-believers (infidels). Between that & the complete lack of outcry from your fellow muslims against terrorism, expect to be met with some looks at a minimum. Hopefully, through your deeds & actions, you can show us that you will properly assimilate into our American culture.
This is precisely what I was afraid of. Of course I would not come to America if I hated non-Muslims. Also I denounce terrorism from all sides; I am a strong pacifist. That's not to say I agree with position of America's government's on all issues (e.g., Israel--but let us not start a fight about that here), but my understanding is many Americans differ on such issues as well and that dissent is more tolerated in your country than mine. Indeed, I dissent much more vigorously with Ahmadinejad's government in Iran than I do with American government. This is one reason I wish to come to America. My wife and I are young (mid 20s) and liberal. We wear western-style clothing, and watch Hollywood movies.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 AM

35 posts, read 64,882 times
Default Ignore 912

Removed: Please do not discuss other posters.

Savannah is a lovely place with much to offer. Some people do have a bias against "outsiders" but I suspect you'd find as much negativism being a Muslim as do people who move here from anyplace but the "Deep South." People who want to isolate themselves from any newcomers are missing an opportunity to be enriched by exposure to people of different cultures and ideas. That's their choice.

Since relocating to Savannah, I've met a wonderfully diverse group of people--locals and transplants. Most have been very friendly and welcoming. I would certainly welcome you, too.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-14-2011 at 08:42 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM

175 posts, read 374,243 times
You will be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or