U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:01 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,284,007 times

Advertisements

I know a guy who's been a "server" (butler?) there for years and years ... makes good money, is gay (like most of the guys who work there I think) and never, ever talks about it. It remains like a secret society to me ... A last bastion of "Old Savannah" (especially now that Lee Adler is dead and buried).

HERE'S ANOTHER QUESTION: Who still goes to Elizabeth's on 37th? I've got another friend who works for one of the finer B&Bs in town and he says they NEVER send guests there unless they just absolutely insist upon it. There's so many other good restaurants in town now, and 37th remains such a dicey area. Anybody?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 39,808 times
I had a friend who worked there this year for just a month or so. She said most of the staff was AA (although she was white) and she said she had heard it was also just for white. In their defense its possible it has been changed and she only got old news. It wasn't something a manager or person above her told her.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,250,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandaS30 View Post
I had a friend who worked there this year for just a month or so. She said most of the staff was AA (although she was white) and she said she had heard it was also just for white. In their defense its possible it has been changed and she only got old news. It wasn't something a manager or person above her told her.
Yes, At one time it was all white. So were the golf clubs, schools and the theaters. This was the segregated South...remember? The times have changed.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 PM

17 posts, read 39,808 times
Yep. I figured they had changed but didn't know for sure. Being a racist in Savannah is one of the most absurd things someone could do, especially a business.

She did say that she never seen a non white there...although she didn't work there for that long.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 AM

74 posts, read 239,094 times
I used to go to Elizabeth's all the time, too. I haven't been in years. The fact that it was fine dining in a somewhat casual setting (their home) was what I liked about it. I really just don't eat out much at all anymore, so it's not that I've had an unpleasant experience there, but just haven't been. If we go out at all we tend to go to more child-friendly establishments.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
How much are the dues? Their website was slapped up by some kid who only placed 3 buttons on the site

Old 06-18-2015, 10:27 PM

884 posts, read 860,375 times
One time, when parking a car at an actual parking space in front of their club on Gaston, employees came out and told me I had to move my vehicle. I asked why, and they said that I just couldn't park there. Apparently, I wasn't the right kind of car. Never mind that those were city metered parking spots... Maybe they knew I was already wise to their racist heritage, and just couldn't stand me being so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area