U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 AM

48 posts, read 121,091 times

Advertisements

I´m interested in moving to Savannah one day (my dream is california but it´s too expensive there right now) and when I looked in the racial map of the city (NY TIMES mapping america) it seems it´s pretty diverse at some parts, especially around Hull park or Forsyth park. I also tried google street view and the houses look so wonderful there!

So, the only thing I worry about is white flight as I know it happens sometimes. I´m white and a very open minded. I don´t wanna live in a gang war zone but if the neigbourhood is decent I don´t care how many minoritites are living there. We had an discussion about it and from other people´s experiences it´s only a matter of time when whites will run away. It was California forum and I don´t know if they weren´t just kidding.

Could you tell me your opinions abou that? Is it stable or are whites already moving? I really love the pictures of the Savannah historical area and I think it could be so cool to live there...

P.S. hope you won´t get angry with me

Last edited by Frank.O´Hara; 05-08-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 AM

40,255 posts, read 49,770,923 times
Hello, 1965 called and they want you back. There is no white flight in Savannah. There is more gentrification pushing out into the iffy areas.
If you are asking if there are areas a white person would probably avoid living, then you would be correct. Any realtor who deals in the downtown/historic areas will be able to stear you into a place you will be comfortable.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM

4,524 posts, read 7,722,100 times
I will half agree with gentlearts on that. Sure, there is some white flight in Savannah (though lots of those people who move out to suburbia are new to the area), however, gentrification has taken place to some degree downtown. When I lived in Savannah, I was in the Thomas Square neighborhood not far from Forsyth Park and I felt very safe. Heck, I went on jogs at night to Forsyth and back. SCAD has helped out a lot with that, too. Ardsley Park isn't too much further south from where I was, and I wouldn't be worried about living there. As Gentlearts said, the right realtor will direct you to the area which fits you best.
You'll love Savannah!

Oh, and to answer your question, yes, different cultures (people) get along here.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,251,548 times
There isn't anything such as the traditional "White Flight" here. Everyone started moving out of the downtown area as soon as they were able to, about 1930, I think. And what is now the Historic District and Victorian District became little more than a ghetto. Then.......... people got interested in preserving the Historic area and the white flight reversed and came back into the downtown areas.

Most of what is considered "Savannah" is not actually within the city limits. It's out into the unincorporated Chatham County and the nearby townships like Thunderbolt, Garden City, Pooler, etc.

And YES, there are areas where you would not be happy, no matter what your racial traits might be.
Since you are white, you should know that you would be the minority race in Savannah.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
There isn't anything such as the traditional "White Flight" here. Everyone started moving out of the downtown area as soon as they were able to, about 1930, I think. And what is now the Historic District and Victorian District became little more than a ghetto. Then.......... people got interested in preserving the Historic area and the white flight reversed and came back into the downtown areas.

Most of what is considered "Savannah" is not actually within the city limits. It's out into the unincorporated Chatham County and the nearby townships like Thunderbolt, Garden City, Pooler, etc.

And YES, there are areas where you would not be happy, no matter what your racial traits might be.
Since you are white, you should know that you would be the minority race in Savannah.
Sorry, didn't want to mislead you. According to census figures, you would be in the minority if you lived WITHIN the city limits of Savannah. If you lived in certain sections of Chatham County, this would not be true. A lot would depend on how much money you wanted to spend on housing.

I wouldn't say that it's due to white flight. It's more like who has the money to spend on brand new housing in new subdivision. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that most people that want a new home, don't want someone else's old one. Many want enough yard space for flower gardens, pets and children. Space like that is hard to find in the older neighborhoods. Lot size was small, (our first home was built on TWO thirty foot lots) houses were built close, and I mean REAL close, together. Elbow room, and privacy, is important to many.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 AM

21 posts, read 86,224 times
You have to keep in mind that with our number of colleges and the military all right here in town, Savannah is Extremely diverse! A lot of families tend to move out a bit, but mostly for the space and for 'better' schools. I love downtown Sav. and I find the old homes gorgeous, however a lot of work.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:27 PM

Thank you all for the answers! And I´m aware of that american society model (inner cities minority majority, suburbs mostly white). I guess it´s because blacks tend to live together.
I wouldn´t care if I lived in a suburb because I could commute to the downtown area. I just saw that the white neighbourhoods in the city limits are surrounded by mostly black communities and so I was wondering if they get along and if the places will stay white at least for some time. According to you it seems they do get along and that´s great! My worries come from Atlanta. In southern Atlanta whites are runnig away whenever blacks start to make up a majority. And even upper middle class blacks run away. I know it from my friend so I´m not lying to you.
My dream is living in one of those islands near Savannah but it´s so expensive there. So at the begenning I´ll have to opt between downtown area or a suburb. But the idea I could live near the square where Forrest Gump was sitting on a bech is just so wonderful, lol. I just love these kinds of smaller cities (although this one is big enough) and I love the history feeling you get while looking at these old mansions. Savannah is american treasure!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM

By the way, check out this video. I think it perfectly highlights the beauties of the city. It looks like a perfect place with the american pride.

By the way, what´s up with those hounted houses? I saw several vids of people talking about ghosts or something like that.... is it common in Savannah? I fear ghosts, lol.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Savannah has the reputation (don't know if it's true) of being the most haunted city in the US.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Savannah has the reputation (don't know if it's true) of being the most haunted city in the US.
Really? Damn... that´s not cool. Have you any experiences with ghosts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or