U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 AM

93 posts, read 327,106 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am starting my summer travels and I am curious about Savannah. How is Savannah's nightlife? Is it simular to Charleston SC, where everything is very beautiful but there are only some beer bars and one nightclub? Would you consider Savannah a wealthy city or more of a college town? I heard it is very laid back.

Thanks for your input!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 PM

4,524 posts, read 7,722,968 times
First, I would like to suggest scrolling down the Savannah forum and finding some previous posts about this same subject.

Second, if you simply don't have the time, I'll give you the gist of it here...
Savannah is dominated by SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design) all throughout downtown. The college has really helped to revamp the downtown area in the last 20 years or so... so, it's a college town, but so much more.
Yes, it's laid back.
Most of the places to go are centrally located, walking distance. (That is, in the Historic District)

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM

146 posts, read 243,926 times
The Savannah nightlife is pretty vigorous. There are many bars and clubs located downtown on River Street and Bay Street. There are some additional places off of Bay Street in some of the squares like Franklin Square. The general area/atmosphere of Savannah is similar to that of Charleston but I'm not sure about the nightlife. I wouldn't consider Savannah wealthy nor a college town. It may be more of a mix of the two. I consider Athens to be a college town because everything is about UGA there and that isn't the case in Savannah. The colleges (AASU, SSU, and SCAD) are major parts of the city but they AREN'T what makes the city.

I'm not sure if you are aware or are even interested but there is Tybee (Island) where everyone goes to the beach in Savannah.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 AM

93 posts, read 327,106 times
Thanks so much for all your input! I did go to Charleston a few months ago and while I was extremely impressed with the beauty of the city and found the area to look upscale/classy, I was extremely not impressed with the so called "nightlife" or variety of upscale bars. Someone once mentioned that Savannah was simular to Charleston in the way it is very pretty to look at, but that the nightlife was VERY lowkey, as it is in Charleston.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,287,846 times
^^^^ NIGHTLIFE IN SAVANNAH LOWKEY? ARE YOU KIDDING? That person obviously doesn't know or just hasn't been here in awhile. Yes, Savannah is MUCH MUCH MUCH more of a party town than Charleston. There are easily 100 bars and clubs within about a half square mile area, from upscale martini lounges to live music venues to gay drag shows. In fact -- and I don't know why the previous posters failed to mention this -- Savannah allows open containers of alcohol to be carried on the streets, just like in New Orleans. So the bar scene / nightlife is very mobile. On weekends, it's wall-to-wall people on the streets bar hopping with drinks in their hands. Does Charleston have that? NO! Savannah rocks ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area