U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 AM

9 posts, read 14,152 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Savannah in July for my husband's new job. We are in our forties, our son is 20 and currently finishing his 4 year in Criminal Justice. I have always worked in Accounting, I have a 2 year and currently am back in school online to earn a 2 year in Criminal Justice, looking to eventually work in Financial Fraud Investigations. I have read a lot of blogs about Savannah, some people like it and some say that if you are not from Savannah, people will be rude to you. I would like to know the truth, as we were originally looking to relocate to Jacksonville from Connecticut, but he was offered a good job in Savannah. We have lived in Florida before, in the Punta Gorda area, and were looking to return to a better area for job purposes than lower west coast, there are no big companies on the west coast that far down. The jobs stink! Just would like to know the truth. I have been to Savannah several times, but have never lived there or anywhere else in GA. Please help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:50 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,254,301 times
It depends on:
Where you live....bad neighborhood, you won't like it
How you act.....rude, and that's what you'll get back
Crime.....again, where you live
Nightlife..... where you go and how late you stay

In other words, it depends. Those that don't like it, usually don't have the personality to make new friends or to find new places to shop, have fun, and relax. They seem to expect Savannah to be just like what they left. It isn't. They aren't happy here and probably won't be in the next place they go.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 AM

9 posts, read 14,152 times
Default I only asked a simple question

Apparently, you have never lived in the Northeast. However, I have lived in the south before, Florida to be exact, and never had a problem making friends or getting along with people. While it doesn't surprise me that you have the opinion that people from the Northeast think they are better than everyone else, not all people who live here are like that. In fact, I hate it here and I was born and raised here. We moved back here for a job offer for my husband, and I did not want to go.
I really don't find your post very helpful. Seems like you just hate everyone from the North and are giving a one sided opinion. I have been on the phone with two business people from Atlanta yesterday, and they give a different opinion, so maybe I will trust their word. I still intend to speak with others. Sorry to be defensive, but after reading your post I felt attacked.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 AM

You'll have to excuse Newsboy. He's having another bad day.

But he does have a good point, in that the people that don't make it here are the ones that go on and on about how much better it is back where they came from. We smile and nod until it gets too much, and then, we get rude.

Glad to hear that you don't have any problem making friends. You'll enjoy yourself. Since you have lived in Florida, you know what the hot summers are like, so that won't be a surprise.

Oh, and don't mention that it's cute/funny/weird/or what have you.....that we talk slow. We wish everyone did.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,520 times
i moved to Savannah 5 months ago.. i luv it here but most of the people here are RUDE, MEAN,UNFRIENDLY, they think they are better than everyone else!!! i love going out to eat and shopping but the costumer service here in SAVANNAH is ZERO!!!!
im relocating to Wilmington island in the next few months as my son will be starting school in august

Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 31,774 times
I plan to move to Savannah from Missouri and have been reading these threads and It amazes me that people actually think Savannah could survive if people areas rude as some think. Yes, you will be aYankee, but so what? There are lots of Yankees in the south. Finally someone actually posted something that anyone should be able to understand.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM

I have wondered how the ones that complain can tell the Savannahians from the newly arrived others.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 PM

27 posts, read 84,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I have wondered how the ones that complain can tell the Savannahians from the newly arrived others.
I have to agree with you- I have a co-worker who moved here three weeks ago and she told me yesterday that I was the only native-born Savannian she had met the entire time!

Savannah currently has a strange dynamic- long-time locals and young graduates are moving away, while it is offset by a lot of people from elsewhere moving in. If you have a bad experience with someone, chances are they aren't really from here.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:57 PM

26 posts, read 101,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. People have got to realiize there are rude people everywhere and nice people everywhere. Usually people react to me the same way I act towards them.....I said usually, not always.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 AM

4,524 posts, read 7,723,405 times
Did I miss something between post 2 and 3????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or