Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:54 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,921,120 times

Advertisements

This is from my post above yours..

Personally, I feel safe at night when I was walking Forsyth Park or down Broughton Street. Heck, I used to ride my bicycle down the numbered streets parallel to Victory back and fourth from Wilmington Island day and night. I was fine.

I'm pretty sure Forsyth Park, Broughton Street and Victory Drive (part of the area I was describing is Victory in Ardsley Park which is probably the nicest area of the Ardsley neighborhood) are part of the Historic District and Ardsley Park respectively.

As far as being worried about crime in those areas, particularly the Historic District and those areas of Ardsley Park, just use common sense as you would anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:35 AM

43 posts, read 79,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

And of course, locals are usually hired before outsiders. If you were looking to hire someone, who would you pick....the home boy that had roots in the community and would probably stick around for years... or the person that is from another place and may decide at anytime that Savannah isn't what he or she wanted? That's not because he's a "good old boy," it's just a sensible hiring practice.
Very unfortunate mentality -- I was born and raised in the Savannah area, and we'd (me and my Midwestern husband) planned on staying. However, this medieval view of "you ain't from around here, and therefore deserve to be a second-class citizen and not get hired" made us decide to leave. Or maybe, that is the intent of this "sensible hiring practice".

Old 06-12-2011, 09:20 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Honeychurch View Post
Very unfortunate mentality -- I was born and raised in the Savannah area, and we'd (me and my Midwestern husband) planned on staying. However, this medieval view of "you ain't from around here, and therefore deserve to be a second-class citizen and not get hired" made us decide to leave. Or maybe, that is the intent of this "sensible hiring practice".
You seemed to have proven the point that "if you ain't from around here," you probably will pack up and leave.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM

43 posts, read 79,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You seemed to have proven the point that "if you ain't from around here," you probably will pack up and leave.
If there were not such an entrenched "good ole' boy" network here, Savannah would be a far better place. The "if you ain't from around here" people thrive on mediocrity, and meritocracy is a truly foreign concept.

With this mentality, Savannah will continue to be a third-rate city. The elites at the top of the good ole' boy pyramid like it just the way it is, and apparently, you do, too.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Honeychurch View Post
If there were not such an entrenched "good ole' boy" network here, Savannah would be a far better place. The "if you ain't from around here" people thrive on mediocrity, and meritocracy is a truly foreign concept.

With this mentality, Savannah will continue to be a third-rate city. The elites at the top of the good ole' boy pyramid like it just the way it is, and apparently, you do, too.
Thank you thank you thank you! Coming from someone that doesn't care for Savannah, it's like a compliment.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 AM

74 posts, read 286,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
This is from my post above yours..

Personally, I feel safe at night when I was walking Forsyth Park or down Broughton Street. Heck, I used to ride my bicycle down the numbered streets parallel to Victory back and fourth from Wilmington Island day and night. I was fine.

I'm pretty sure Forsyth Park, Broughton Street and Victory Drive (part of the area I was describing is Victory in Ardsley Park which is probably the nicest area of the Ardsley neighborhood) are part of the Historic District and Ardsley Park respectively.

As far as being worried about crime in those areas, particularly the Historic District and those areas of Ardsley Park, just use common sense as you would anywhere.
I know that you feel comfortable there, but many do not. Why is it that you think all of these things have happened to the people I know and you have not had this experience? If by "common sense" you mean don't have nice things people want to steal, then I guess those people are guilty of not having that kind of common sense. Personally, I don't want to live somewhere I can't even put out a nice houseplant because I'm pretty sure it will be stolen.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,777,695 times
Get a new real estate agent PRONTO! That agent is bordering on breaking federal law by even implying such to you!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM

74 posts, read 286,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Get a new real estate agent PRONTO! That agent is bordering on breaking federal law by even implying such to you!
The agent didn't say she wasn't allowed to live there, but that those areas didn't fit her criteria. Personally, I wouldn't want an agent who wouldn't tell me the truth and would sell me a house in an area like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area