U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 AM
 
175 posts, read 374,984 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

That will indeed suck with 3 kids, (1-7) and 2 big fat bulldogs in a large car. Do they open up shelters?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
 
7,100 posts, read 25,290,577 times
Reputation: 7373
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Ruehl View Post
That will indeed suck with 3 kids, (1-7) and 2 big fat bulldogs in a large car. Do they open up shelters?
.

This is the way to look at it. Those kids may be old enough to have their own cars before you need to evacuate.

Really, don't fret about it too much. The chances that it will happened are slim. Yes, there is a chance. but that's the way it is. Just a chance. You'll know in plenty of time.

The small towns further inland sometimes opened the School gyms for shelters. The Civic Center here, usually opens for those that need it.

The Catagory 1 will be about the same wind damage as a bad blizzard up north. Do the folks up there evacuate? Blizzards stick around for days. The worst section of hurricanes travel fast. Sometimes the worse is over with in a couple of hours.

The bad winds of a hurricane are close to the center, or eye, other than those winds, the rest of the system has wind that is equal to that of a bad thunderstorm. Our marshes can hold a high tide of about 12 feet, so if the hurricane comes ashore at the time of low water it will be a lot easier than at the time of the high tide.

I am not saying..."don't worry at all," I am just trying to point out that unless we have a most unusual season, it probably won't happen.

There is a lot of rain, but unless you live near one of the big drainage canals, you most likely won't have to worry about flooding. The lowest sections of Savannah flood during heavy rains, so that won't be anything new.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
 
175 posts, read 374,984 times
Reputation: 33
Thanks! I worry about the flooding because I have a drainage ditch about 30' outside my back gate, as well as a water treatment pond thing as well. Is there any charts that show the different high and low points of Savannah?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 AM
 
175 posts, read 374,984 times
Reputation: 33
On that note, I have another Q. I have a huge, about 70' tall tulip poplar right on the other side of my fence (So close its pushing into my fence a little. I know they have week root systems, and weak wood that breaks off in heavy winds. If it was to fall it would smash my house and most likely kill everyone in it. Its showing signs of stress, (Yellow leaves dropping more that normal) Its on the Water Treatment Facilities side of the fence, is there a way I can ask to have it removed? Its honestly causes me serious stress looking at it. Should I ask the city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Sunny South Florida
6,823 posts, read 3,503,102 times
Reputation: 8097
Quote:
Is there any charts that show the different high and low points of Savannah?
The US Geologic Survey has elevation maps, and I'm sure there are other US government sites that would have that info.

In addition to civic centers and school gyms, many churches will offer their fellowship halls or parking lots for people to stay in such a crisis. In 1999 my family ended up all the way in McRae, GA, and we ended up spending the night at a Church. Members of the Church even brought food and made the 20-30 people who ended up there feel comfortable. Turned out we could very easily have just stayed in Statesboro, given the fact the lights didn't even go out, but I remember how wonderful those people were to open up their facilities that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: The South
767 posts, read 2,080,252 times
Reputation: 691
I lived on the Mississippi coast when Katrina went thru. I no longer live on the coast, but if I did, if the weather event is spelled with an "H", I would evacuate and I would do it early. When people say a Cat 1 or Cat 2 is nothing, they don't know what they are talking about. Hurricanes do strengthen and if you foolishly stayed for a Cat 2 and it strengthens, you won't get out and no one will help you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 AM
 
608 posts, read 1,235,879 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
The US Geologic Survey has elevation maps, and I'm sure there are other US government sites that would have that info.

In addition to civic centers and school gyms, many churches will offer their fellowship halls or parking lots for people to stay in such a crisis. In 1999 my family ended up all the way in McRae, GA, and we ended up spending the night at a Church. Members of the Church even brought food and made the 20-30 people who ended up there feel comfortable. Turned out we could very easily have just stayed in Statesboro, given the fact the lights didn't even go out, but I remember how wonderful those people were to open up their facilities that way.
The highest point in Savannah is the runways at Hunter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM
 
74 posts, read 239,930 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Ruehl View Post
On that note, I have another Q. I have a huge, about 70' tall tulip poplar right on the other side of my fence (So close its pushing into my fence a little. I know they have week root systems, and weak wood that breaks off in heavy winds. If it was to fall it would smash my house and most likely kill everyone in it. Its showing signs of stress, (Yellow leaves dropping more that normal) Its on the Water Treatment Facilities side of the fence, is there a way I can ask to have it removed? Its honestly causes me serious stress looking at it. Should I ask the city?
I don't know how to go about that, but you should go ahead and get on that irrespective of a hurricane. I had a huge tree fall on my car during just a very short storm years ago, and it flattened the roof completely. Get that process started as soon as you can.

Personally, if there is even a voluntary evacuation again I'm leaving. I don't want to get stuck in what happened last time. If you have kids and pets then you don't want that, either. It's bad enough without them. Businesses completely closed down, so there was nowhere to get anything to eat or go to the bathroom for maybe five hours, which under normal conditions might have taken only about an hour to drive. It was ridiculous. Maybe take that into consideration if you do evacuate, that you won't have food/drink or bathrooms available to you possibly for hours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 AM
 
7,100 posts, read 25,290,577 times
Reputation: 7373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I lived on the Mississippi coast when Katrina went thru. I no longer live on the coast, but if I did, if the weather event is spelled with an "H", I would evacuate and I would do it early. When people say a Cat 1 or Cat 2 is nothing, they don't know what they are talking about. Hurricanes do strengthen and if you foolishly stayed for a Cat 2 and it strengthens, you won't get out and no one will help you.
Hurricanes in the Gulf always go ashore. There's no where else for one to go. Once a storm system gets into the Gulf, it will go to land. The coasts of Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Etc. are flat and there is not the tidal range as there is on the East Coast.

On the East Coast of the Atlantic, there are different forces at work. A hurricane will be heading directly towards the land, then most of the time, (not ALL, but most) will take a north-easternly turn and head back into the open ocean.

Sure, there is a danger. BUT, the weather people watch for this turning and seem to be pretty good at guessing where. There are several sites on the Internet where you can watch the computer images of these "guesses" and use the info to help you decide whether to leave or stay.

Look around the older sections of Chatham County. How many of the houses have had storm damage? They have been through a dozen or so hurricanes.

If you do decide to leave, don't wait until the last day. That's when it's more dangerous on the road than at home. You don't want to be stuck on a highway during bad wind and rain at anytime!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
40,448 posts, read 49,995,665 times
Reputation: 69377
My house has stood strong since 1989, and is not in a flood plane, so I'm thinking a little hurricane would at least bring some needed rain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top