U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Traffic
Downtown 2 8.00%
Midtown 7 28.00%
East Savannah and the Islands 1 4.00%
Pooler, Garden City, and West Chatham 4 16.00%
Sandfly and the Southside 3 12.00%
Armstrong and Georgetown 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,402,091 times

Advertisements

^^^ I will second that! U.S. 17 in S.C. when you come off the Talmadge Bridge is a disgrace. Remember that fatal accident in April involving the cement truck that hit a bump and went over the side? The state of S.C. should be held liable, but they have ZERO interest in improving the flow of traffic between Hilton Head and Savannah -- just like they have ZERO interest in building a port on the Jasper County side of the Savannah River. They refuse to do anything that might in some way benefit Georgia or Savannah -- so why do we have to put up with HILTON HEAD attached to the name of OUR great airport????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM

110 posts, read 149,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ I will second that! U.S. 17 in S.C. when you come off the Talmadge Bridge is a disgrace. Remember that fatal accident in April involving the cement truck that hit a bump and went over the side? The state of S.C. should be held liable, but they have ZERO interest in improving the flow of traffic between Hilton Head and Savannah -- just like they have ZERO interest in building a port on the Jasper County side of the Savannah River. They refuse to do anything that might in some way benefit Georgia or Savannah -- so why do we have to put up with HILTON HEAD attached to the name of OUR great airport????
I second that. If only local officials, on both sides of the river would come together to do whats good for the Savannah Metro, which actually should extend to S.C., instead of focusing on just Georgia or just S.C. And the way Beaufort county is growing, the S.C. government will have to improve the infrastructure between the two cities.
Also, I feel that if Jasper and Beaufort were officially part of Savannah's metro, more funding could go towards projects that would benefit both Georgia and S.C.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:23 AM

Savannah has been combating the problem of flooding since Oglethorpe settled here. The other day, I was biking home from work and the insertion of Henry and Paulson was at least 2 feet deep in water. I posted pictures of it recently under Savannah Photos. Also I know Paulson floods at 6rd Street and its a whole, long section of the street next to Calvary and that Medical Building. Victory floods like crazy, especially at East Broad. On our streets sometimes its better to have a kayak.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 AM

3,966 posts, read 5,616,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsavannahian View Post
I second that. If only local officials, on both sides of the river would come together to do whats good for the Savannah Metro, which actually should extend to S.C., instead of focusing on just Georgia or just S.C. And the way Beaufort county is growing, the S.C. government will have to improve the infrastructure between the two cities.
Also, I feel that if Jasper and Beaufort were officially part of Savannah's metro, more funding could go towards projects that would benefit both Georgia and S.C.

S.C.'s problem is that they don't believe in any type of taxes unless it's aid from the federal government. The us 17 road will not be improved until there is federal dollars for this. S.C. is traditionally one of the states that relies most upon federal aid for any type of infrastructure project. Their tax rate is 1 dollar paid to the feds vs. 1.35 received. Also the state's taxes are among the lowest in the country.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,762,594 times
Quote:
It doesn't necessarily have to do with those who are immediately across the river aka Jasper and Beaufort counties. It has to do with the political decision making up in Columbia. Their new governor hasn't exactly been a great improvement for the State of South Carolina IMO either, but hopefully something will be done about the state of US 17 sooner than later. It can't get much worse than it is now.

BTW, another example of South Carolina's small-minded mentality is I-95. Wanna know a big reason why it hasn't been widened (except for sections in and around Florence)? The way South Carolina sees it, I-95's traffic mainly bypasses their state for other destinations (like Florida) so why should they pay for upgrades? Fatality anyone? Stupid South Carolina political BS.
PS: Tolls have been discussed for the entire duration of I-95 in S.C. to fund the upgrades.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:40 PM

Yeah, Wandering Import...I feel like the S.C. government is just looking out for its own best interest. If they improve infrastructure in Jasper (mainly) and Beaufort counties, the result would benefit Georgia too much.
With better highways Savannah would become a major economic center of the Beaufort-Hilton Head-Savannah-Statesboro-Hinesville area, assuming that Georgia improves its highways as well.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:49 PM

I read in the paper that the Savannah River Parkway which is being built in Effingham County (I think), may become a Interstate (I-3) and it would follow the Savannah river up to Augusta and then to Athens and end in Knoxville Tennessee. The main argument against this is that they don't want to build a highway through the mountains, but I don't understand why the Georgia section can't be built. Federal bureaucracy, I suppose

Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,333 posts, read 12,905,020 times
Quote:
I read in the paper that the Savannah River Parkway which is being built in Effingham County (I think), may become a Interstate (I-3) and it would follow the Savannah river up to Augusta and then to Athens and end in Knoxville Tennessee. The main argument against this is that they don't want to build a highway through the mountains, but I don't understand why the Georgia section can't be built. Federal bureaucracy, I suppose
The Savannah River Pkwy is still under construction??

I thought the majority of road construction was finished back in 2009 and it's 100% complete...

Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM

3,966 posts, read 5,616,718 times
Proposed Interstate 3 Map

There's a link to the I-3 proposal. Anyway it's a dead issue now as Max Burns the sponsor didn't have the clout to get it down.

It's a shame as it would cut several hours off of travel to Tennessee and anywhere north of there.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,337,895 times
Gee, if we have all that tax monies around to build all these highways and widen streets, etc. you would think that "they" (whoever "they" may be) could spare a little to repave the cracked up, bumpy streets and highways that are already being used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or