Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 4,747 times

Advertisements

Ok I just moved here and my husband is in the Army so I havent been able to go out much except every now and then. I know a couple things down here but my family is coming down for Spring break. I'm going to have 5 adults, 1 19 yr old, 2 13 yr olds, a 6 yr, 2yr, and a 6month baby. What is there to do here that would fit everyone? I know the beach but what is something is a MUST do or that was just over the top to do? Advice please & thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 PM

291 posts, read 1,058,481 times
There is really nothing over the top here unless dinning at the Mansion counts...

You have downtown bars, the "historic" buildings you can look at, tybee island, Oatland Wildlife Preserve... yup, I think it's all pretty boring, lol.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 AM

11,367 posts, read 24,331,439 times
You can drive to the Savannah River Nat'l Wildlife Refuge to see the alligators, if your family is from up north.

Or, take the fam to the City Market part of downtown. Park in the underground garage, let the kids play in the new fountain in the square. (Bring towels/dry clothes for them.)There are plenty of places to shop, eat, and sightsee within a few blocks. There are also several museums nearby, the Ships of the Sea, the Telfair/Jepson Center art museums, and the Roundhouse Railroad Museum, which has its own parking lot. Directly across from the RH is the Savannah History Museum.

Both Ft. Pulaski and Old Fort Jackson are on the road to the beach. Ft. Pulaski is larger and Ft. J is older. Both are popular with locals as well as visitors. Or if you're staying closer to Richmond Hill, there's Ft. mcAllister. All of these have something interesting to all ages/sexes.

There are two children's playgrounds in Forsyth Park, which is one of the most beautiful parts of the City. That's where the big fountain is, that you see in all of the tourist brochures.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:13 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,637,486 times
Free ferry ride from River Street to Weston.

Cathedral of St. John

magazine in street (think its called Living.....something just can't find mine in house right now) has list of happenings and things to do.

Have fun!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,108,381 times
There is nothing that's going to fit everyone. Those four youngest ones will be a problem. Can you get a baby sitter a couple of night and do an adult trip of City Market and other downtown spots? The 19 yr old won't be able to drink alcohol, but can watch all the activities..

Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 AM

1,026 posts, read 81,037 times
Pooler has a family fun park with go-karts, paint ball, mini golf and an arcade. With this perfect weather, it would be great fun for the kids!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 AM

28 posts, read 59,529 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed

As far as things to do in Savannah with all those age groups? Pretty much nothing here except the wild life preserve. You can drive a little north to Paris Island, they have an excellent Marine museum that's very educational. You can see the Marine recruits doing boot camp stuff as well:P on Saturdays you could head to Keller's Flea Market, a fairly large Flea Market that will satisfy any garage sale shopping urges you or your friends might have. Jekyll Island has a water park called Summer Waves, it's a pretty fun way to kill an afternoon. Tybee is nothing but a tourist trap and has a terrible over crowded beach where you can't even bring your dog. If you want a beach you're better off driving a little north to South Carolina. A guided trolley ride is nice but way over priced, you would probably spend over $300 to have everyone in your group go on a trolley tour. You would be better off spending that money on the next option which would be to drive down to Sea World or Busch Gardens. Once a year Military members and their dependents get in free and you could probably get a great deal at the MWR on tickets for anyone in your group who isn't a dependent.

Savannah isn't that great of a place unless you are into partying and drinking, which is sad to say because with all it's historic value it could be a great place. Also people here are very rude and self centered Moderator cut: see comment.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-15-2012 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, no personal attacks - we may attack the idea, but we do not attack the speaker of the idea!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM

1,026 posts, read 81,037 times
I agree that Summer Waves is fun, but it is seasonal and not open during spring break. Unfortunately, it doesn't open until May

Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM

28 posts, read 59,529 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed

MY OPINION: I'm not from here and I've been all around the world. I've seen and lived in a lot of places. Savannah is an ok place. Nothing special about it though, it's just a tourist trap. If you want a taste of what the low country has to offer you have to go outside of Savannah.

I just don't think it's a place to visit for all ages. If you're retired and on a road trip it's a great place to travel through because of it's historic value. If you're of college age and like to drink and walk downtown where everything smells like pee and vomit then it's a great place. The museums are nice and there are plenty of art galleries to browse through. The parks are nice if you can handle the sand gnats lol (Skin So Soft!) If you like to fish, net shrimp, or dig for clams there is plenty of that in the area. One thing I absolutely hate about Savannah though is the lack of sidewalks. Besides down town, there are almost no sidewalks anywhere. People are forced to walk in grass and dirt or on the road, that's a city planner issue though. It's a great place to visit and live, just don't expect the hype and glory everyone tells you about.

Oh one more idea! The Oglethorpe Speedway is another great idea for all ages.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-15-2012 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: No discussion about another member in this forum EVER, just report it instead of responding!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 AM

50,010 posts, read 63,347,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shines1971 View Post
Pooler has a family fun park with go-karts, paint ball, mini golf and an arcade. With this perfect weather, it would be great fun for the kids!
I think it's called Fun Zone, and there is also a nice new bowling alley in Pooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area