U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Traffic
Downtown 2 8.00%
Midtown 7 28.00%
East Savannah and the Islands 1 4.00%
Pooler, Garden City, and West Chatham 4 16.00%
Sandfly and the Southside 3 12.00%
Armstrong and Georgetown 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:41 PM

110 posts, read 148,773 times

Advertisements

Savannah is a beautifully planned city, especially downtown and the numbered streets (Midtown, I guess). However there are routes, like Derenne Ave, that are bogged down with annoying traffic, while the expansion on Stephenson Ave and the Truman Parkway are practically unused. Habersham, Waters (in Midtown), and Skidaway all need to be two lanes all the way through. The sections where they are one lane-one lane get clogged us. Also if these streets became more convenient, some of the abandoned businesses might flourish again. There are some other great, abandoned shops along Paulson street that should be refurbished, or at least somebody should use the buildings. The last thing I cant stand about Chatham County roads is Highway 80 going to Tybee. On some summer days the traffic is bad on Victory in Savannah, going East, and only get it only gets worse, when after Wilmington Island, the highway narrows as it goes over the marsh. That section on Victory needs to be widened as do the bridges going to Tybee. Also, Savannah should have some tunnels. That would be so much fun to drive through, especially an underwater tunnel. LaRoache is the best road in Savannah. Let me know what yall think about that. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,295,926 times
Now that we know what you would like to have, please tell us how much more in tax money do you think everyone should pay to do all these things.

We'll make it simple.... we have about 350,000 people in the Chatham Co. area. Remember, what you want will cost billions.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:14 AM

Its just hypothetical anyways....just sayin'...it would be cool. I know its not realistic

Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM

3,912 posts, read 5,584,694 times
1.) Complete the Truman portion under construction now as this will relieve a portion of the DeRenne and Montgomery traffic problems.

2.) Complete a Abercorn/Truman flyover to 95, this will require 3 bridges and will need to tyin the expansion to the Truman.

3.) Victory Drive where it intersects Kilowatt Dr. and Oglethorpe needs to be addressed and widened to 16. This would allow more traffic to flow from the Islands west.

4.) Timing of all traffic lights need to be looked at. Abercorn, Montg., DeRenne all should take precedent over side roads. I cannot ever remember before moving here where all side streets on major roads had motion detectors and overroad the light timing. This turns a 5 minute trip down Abercorn into a 30 minute trip because you hit all red lights.

5.) 4 line highway to Hilton Head to allow day tripping tourist to drop more cash in downtown.

6.) Several roads in the city need to be made 4 lane such as Coffee Bluff, this road is a fatality waiting to happen.

7.) Bicycle lanes everywhere.

To fund this we need to raise the Gas tax throughout the state. When this is done I don't want to here rural reps complaining about dirt roads needing paved as the people who live in those areas pay much lower taxes than the urban areas. These are facts.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 PM

4,526 posts, read 7,742,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
1.) Complete the Truman portion under construction now as this will relieve a portion of the DeRenne and Montgomery traffic problems.

2.) Complete a Abercorn/Truman flyover to 95, this will require 3 bridges and will need to tyin the expansion to the Truman.

3.) Victory Drive where it intersects Kilowatt Dr. and Oglethorpe needs to be addressed and widened to 16. This would allow more traffic to flow from the Islands west.

4.) Timing of all traffic lights need to be looked at. Abercorn, Montg., DeRenne all should take precedent over side roads. I cannot ever remember before moving here where all side streets on major roads had motion detectors and overroad the light timing. This turns a 5 minute trip down Abercorn into a 30 minute trip because you hit all red lights.

5.) 4 line highway to Hilton Head to allow day tripping tourist to drop more cash in downtown.

6.) Several roads in the city need to be made 4 lane such as Coffee Bluff, this road is a fatality waiting to happen.

7.) Bicycle lanes everywhere.

To fund this we need to raise the Gas tax throughout the state. When this is done I don't want to here rural reps complaining about dirt roads needing paved as the people who live in those areas pay much lower taxes than the urban areas. These are facts.
The road you're referring to isn't Oglethorpe, it's Ogeechee. Also, it's not 16 Ogeechee intersects, it's 516. Anyway, I don't think Victory will ever be widened because there just isn't any room (it's all historic anyway).

Old 06-20-2011, 06:43 PM

6,827 posts, read 3,505,967 times
I'm reminded of that one-liner about Savannah traffic: "Abercorn is a Creek Indian word that translates as traffic light every fifty feet".

Since we seem to be spending imaginary money, I vote we move ahead with that interstate or parkway plan that would have linked Savannah directly to Augusta.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM

I like all these ideas. Especially I-3 to Augusta and Athens. But, yeah, the widening of Victory in the historic sections is bad idea. I'm talking about Victory around the Truman, where it looks like a highway, anyways.

Also about the poll...I cant believe Midtown ranks highest for traffic. I live in Midtown and the amount of automobile traffic like 10 times less than the traffic on the Westside and Southside (south of DeRenne). But that's why I took a poll. BTW...what section of midtown has traffic?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,466,085 times
Abercorn always seemed the worst to me. As long as you didn't have a city bus playing games downtown wasn't bad.

A free thing to do that would improve flow would be to lose some bus stops on Abercorn. No point to having the things every 4 or 5 blocks, and it makes a horrible stretch of road worse on the four lane portions as a bus essentially reduces it to a two lane road for quite a ways behind it.

Last edited by AuburnAL; 06-23-2011 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Changed two to four and one to two in regards to number of lanes.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,346,825 times
Traffic on Abercorn anywhere south of Largo thru AASU and across the river into Georgetown is going to be HELL once the Truman is completed. All those cars spilling off a limited-access expressway onto an already overcrowded arterial street?! AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:39 AM

608 posts, read 1,236,108 times
US 17 in South Carolina needs to be redone. Also, they need to divert traffic away from SC 315 which is getting to clogged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or