Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM

9 posts, read 25,877 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Savannah very soon, but have not had the chance to visit personally yet.

I'm considering an upstairs apartment on 37th St. between Bull and Barnard St. How safe/quiet/walkable is this area? It looks on the map like it is near a lot of parks and restaurants with good reviews, but it also seems like 37th St. is a major artery.

My other option is an apartment complex in Thunderbolt called River Crossing, which is a bit less expensive and apparently has a nice marsh view on the river, but one of my future business partners advised me that Thunderbolt is not a very safe area, and that the bugs are worse there.

I'm interested in hearing more opinions about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM

110 posts, read 178,181 times
37th and Barnard is near the Starland District, which is extremely walkable for a neighborhood south of Gaston (sog). Thunderbolt is walkable, however, there are only a few restaurants and bars along the river (Wilmington). The city of Thunderbolt is less than one square mile. Both neighborhoods are about average in crime for Savannah, not great but not that bad. Starland has lots of art galleries, bars, restaurants, beautiful houses, and has less bugs. The further East you go in Chatham county, the worse the bugs are (generally); as the land lowers into the sea there become more and more pockets of stagnant water which spawn bugs. Hope this was helpful

Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 AM

9 posts, read 25,877 times
thank you so much, deadsavannahian--very helpful info. which area would you say has better scenery generally? also, how difficult is parking in the starland area?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Parking isn't too bad in Starland, but its probably worse than in Thunderbolt. Starland's scenery is like that of the 1800's townhouses of the Victorian District, but less dense. And Starland is a 10 minute walk, a 5 minute bike ride, or a 2 minute drive downtown. Thunderbolt is beautiful along the river and close to Savannah State University, but is definitely less urban.
And even though 37th is a main east-west artery it has allot less traffic than Highway 80 (Victory Drive), when it goes through Thunderbolt.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
The area you are describing is not Starland. It is in fact in the Metropolitan area of Savannah. Starland is closer to Victory Drive. Anyway, the area is still up and coming with pockets of bad blocks here and there. 41st and Jefferson is an area known for prostitution, though it's a very small area and you could go a few blocks away and be fine.
Thunderbolt, IMO, has never been known for crime. Sure, it may happen there, but it's nothing out of the ordinary for the Savannah area. There are more bugs, and River Crossing is a complex right next to the Intracoastal waterway so you'll definitely have to deal with mosquitoes and gnats. It's pretty quiet other than that. You're also near Tubby's Tankhouse in Thunderbolt, which is a good little hangout spot with decent seafood. Good river views.

What ever decision you end up making will be fine. One disclaimer: I don't ever recommend actually buying property here until you've visited and lived for a year and you have a better feel for the area.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 PM

"Starland" is accually only a few blocks around DeSoto row....but I would consider Victory to 37th-ish to be what Savannahians call "Starland"

Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsavannahian View Post
"Starland" is accually only a few blocks around DeSoto row....but I would consider Victory to 37th-ish to be what Savannahians call "Starland"
And you'd be wrong.

Thunderbolt is MUCH safer & more scenic. Go there if you value your possessions....and life....

Old 07-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
And you'd be wrong.

Thunderbolt is MUCH safer & more scenic. Go there if you value your possessions....and life....
What theModerator cut: not allowed are you talking about.
912...i read a bunch of your post. They are absolutely brilliant, but on the other hand, they kinda sound like jokes without punchlines. All and all, your comments are hysterically pretentious and beautifully condescending. Bravo to you, sir (or mam)!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-06-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-02-2011, 05:38 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
This is the first time that I have heard the term. "Desoto Row." Could you explaind what you mean?

And I agree with 912. Thunderbolt is safer.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
This is the first time that I have heard the term. "Desoto Row." Could you explaind what you mean?

And I agree with 912. Thunderbolt is safer.
That's what I was wondering. Never heard of DeSoto Row.

Also, Thunderbolt may be safer, but there are, in fact, good areas in and around 37th Street. As I said before, there are patches of good and bad. A neighborhood in transition. I know this because I lived not far from there just a few months ago. There is a police precinct a few blocks up as well at the corner of Drayton and 31st and at the opposite end of the spectrum, there has been prostitution around Jefferson and 41st. It could go either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area