Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 PM

27 posts, read 78,990 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I have moved to Savannah in June. We have been without a job since then. I think back on it, and I wonder why I even left my old job and why we decided to pick up and move to a city where we did not know anyone and did not have jobs lined up, BUT we did.

Now, I sit here, with a bachelor's degree, a teaching certificate and a myriad of other qualifications, i.e., photography skills, computer skills, etc. and I cannot even get the time of day for someone to just email or call me back saying that the position has been filled. I have tried to remain positive but I'm not sure how much longer I can last!

Does anyone have ANY suggestions to get out and make contacts with people, to establish some sort of professional relationship with people in Savannah? I have scoured the job websites and have found no luck. Maybe going out in person might do the trick?

In need of encouragement that things will look up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,835,237 times
Sorry about your predicament. I know a young woman in the same boat there, a teaching degree and no job...tough.

The only thing I can think of is:

meetup.com

In addition to listing groups for social get-togethers and hobbies shared, there are usually some for jobs/business purposes....you could just type in that above for Savannah and see what comes up.

What about taking a lesser paying job and at least have some spending cash until a more proper position comes open???

Oh and we all live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisArtGirl View Post
My fiance and I have moved to Savannah in June. We have been without a job since then. I think back on it, and I wonder why I even left my old job and why we decided to pick up and move to a city where we did not know anyone and did not have jobs lined up, BUT we did.

Now, I sit here, with a bachelor's degree, a teaching certificate and a myriad of other qualifications, i.e., photography skills, computer skills, etc. and I cannot even get the time of day for someone to just email or call me back saying that the position has been filled. I have tried to remain positive but I'm not sure how much longer I can last!

Does anyone have ANY suggestions to get out and make contacts with people, to establish some sort of professional relationship with people in Savannah? I have scoured the job websites and have found no luck. Maybe going out in person might do the trick?

In need of encouragement that things will look up.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks! I'm thinking that volunteering might help get my foot in the door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sorry about your predicament. I know a young woman in the same boat there, a teaching degree and no job...tough.

The only thing I can think of is:

meetup.com

In addition to listing groups for social get-togethers and hobbies shared, there are usually some for jobs/business purposes....you could just type in that above for Savannah and see what comes up.

What about taking a lesser paying job and at least have some spending cash until a more proper position comes open???

Oh and we all live and learn.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
I really can't believe that you are asking if "going out in person" will work. That's the BEST way. If you were hiring, which would you pick, the person that cared enough to show up with a smile or the person that just sent in a resume?

It hasn't been two whole months yet. The Chatham County Board of Education might be interested in you as a substitute teacher. Remember that school just started. Things could be a little hectic.
Don't forget to check with the private schools.

Go to the Personnel offices of the Hospitals. It's hard to get people for shift work. Tell them that you would be willing to work shift and/or weekends. Hospitals use a lot of clerical type employees. You don't have to think of it as a career, just a paycheck until something you want comes along.

Another thing... dress neatly, not too much, no flip flops or spikey heels. No shorts or overly revealing tops. Skip the heavy perfume. I used to work in a personnel office. When someone came in, we let them fill out the application, but if they looked as if they did not have a clue as to dress, the application went to the bottom of the stack.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:00 AM

11,393 posts, read 24,436,628 times
The City was looking for a ceramics instructor and someone to head up their arts programs. SCAD always has openings for work, even clerical. Go to some of the events at the Jepson Center. It's our local art museum and it may help you meet people you'll enjoy knowing.

It takes a long time to get established in Savannah. You just need to be patient and keep trying.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:33 AM

54 posts, read 166,231 times
Hi there! I relocated to Savannah as well. In July, from MN. I just began applying for jobs this month. It is very scary. Hang in there, I'm sure we will both find something! Just wanted to let you know you're not alone searching! But isn't the city gorgeous.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:08 AM

291 posts, read 1,061,488 times
It took me eight months to find a job doing phone work, making piddles an hour but I quite that job after I went mad and was able to quickly find another one, with some amazing stroke of luck... still making piddles an hour, though. I'm only here because my husband is in the military. I always wonder why people move here...

Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 AM

54 posts, read 166,231 times
I can only speak for myself, but I moved to Savannah because the city is full of warm people, a rich history, and is plain out gorgeous. I can do all of the same shopping and dining I did in my homestate, less snow, and the food is way better. If there is something I cannot buy in a store, no problem because I can buy and have it shipped. This was not so true for Hawaii, as shipping there costs an arm and a leg as they say. The culture is varied and interesting. Trees, check, Ocean, check, fishing, check, blue skies, check. Works for me. Lastly, where I came from it felt more cookie cutter. With variety, yes, but still cookie cutter. A genuine community is important to me, and I see that here. I researched Hawaii, the Carolina's, and Georgia. Savannah ended up being my top choice after considering all factors.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. I have gone out and met with a non profit to do some volunteering. Crossing my fingers to meet some people. I do agree that I shouldn't look at a piddles and hour job as a career and that is something I am going to start looking into this week! Savannah is gorgeous and ultimately we are glad we made the move!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,604,833 times
What is your teaching degree in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area