U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,738,563 times

Advertisements

Hope it doesn't hit you guys too bad. My wife is a nervous wreck, she is flying Friday from CT to Charlotte to Savannah to visit parents, I doubt she will make it to Savannah though. Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:16 AM

41,009 posts, read 50,750,043 times
Waay to early to panic about the hurricane. Firstly, they almost never hit Savannah because of the geography, and anyway, she will know for sure what it is doing before Friday.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,398,286 times
HURRICANE IRENE

This is a good site to watch the progress of a storm. It looks as if Savannah will have little to worry about.

Of course, nothing is a certain thing with this type of storm. (it's called Hurricane because it starts over the Atlantic) A Catagory 1 is little more than a bad wind storm.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 AM

agreed she just worries about her parents, worst case they evacuate with the motor home and meet her in Charlotte and go to a campsite for a day till it blows by. I know the airlines won't fly there and risk things if it's dicey....best case scenario she gets there and evacuates that afternoon...looks like landfall between Jax and Charleston? Still too early to call with any certainty though.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
HURRICANE IRENE

This is a good site to watch the progress of a storm. It looks as if Savannah will have little to worry about.

Of course, nothing is a certain thing with this type of storm. (it's called Hurricane because it starts over the Atlantic) A Catagory 1 is little more than a bad wind storm.

nah I think Savannah should get ready, according to your link looks like landfall between Savannah and Charleston somewhere?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Hurricane watches are a good case of the Media making a BIG thing over and over again. People get so used to the "news" that when we do have a dangerous situation, they will be inclined to ignore it. Remember the old story about the boy that cried "wolf" so many times that people ignored him when it was very real? Well, it's sort of the same thing with hurricanes.

One day, Savannah might get another big one like the 1893 one, but chances are that most of them will pass by with no more damage than one of our afternoon thunderstorms. The problem is that we have so many old, old trees, that even a little breeze will take down some of them.

If we have any flooding, it will be because of excessive rainfall, rather than the storm surge type of flood. The surrounding marsh can contain about 12 feet of water without flooding the roads. If a storm passes at the time of high tide, the water level will be higher than if it passes at the low tide.

The storm area is does not have bad winds and rain over the entire hurricane area. One can pass close to the coast and Savannah not even get a drizzle. It's a gamble, but the odds are usually in our favor.

Have you ever noticed all the old, old homes in the Savannah area?

Last edited by Padgett2; 08-22-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 AM

175 posts, read 377,065 times
Complacency kills.

Hurricane Central, Hurricane Trackers, and Hurricane Information - weather.com

Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM

One thing to watch for is the distance from the eye that the winds are worrisome. If the hurricane strength winds extend for 30-60 miles from the eye, then if the eye of the storm is 75 miles from our location, we will probally have nothing more than a lot of clouds.

The hurricane area that is shown on maps includes ALL of the area. The outer part may be nothing more than clouds, slight wind and a little rain. But it's called part of the hurricane because it is of the same system, not because it is all HIGH winds and terrible rain.

But if you do decide to leave town, do it early. If you wait until the last minute, you will be in more danger from traffic than you would had you stayed at home. A good home will withstand a lot of wind and rain.

Yes, be cautious. Just don't panic. It's like crossing a street, watch, plan and be careful.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 AM

10,437 posts, read 21,440,938 times
It's good to have a plan in mind, but experience says not to get too excited. This happens nearly every summer.

Like Padgett2 said, don't panic. Most of the time when we get brushed by tropical storms, it's just wind and rain. A bunch of trees will fall down in a bad storm and the power will go out. Plan accordingly.

If you need ice and A/C, by all means leave town early.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM

6,865 posts, read 3,566,481 times
I'm in the same sort of predicament as the OP, except I'm flying out of SAV to Charlotte, then to Maryland--and I wonder if that flight may be...*shudder* re-routed due to weather. It would not the first time I've been ping-ponged across the nation by our lovely and gracious airlines, but since I am supposed to be meeting people at CLT...ughh! I'm imagining some really awful scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area