Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the most impressive lineup of celebrity guests and honorees yet for the SCAD-sponsored Savannah Film Festival. Honorees for 2011 will include Oliver Stone, Lily Tomlin, Ellen Barkin and James Marsden. Special celebrity appearances by Alec Baldwin (who hosted the 37th season premiere of SNL tonight) and Universal Pictures President Ron Meyer.

The event certainly backs up SCAD's influence in the film industry and Savannah's reputation as one of the nation's most up-and-coming film festivals.

SAVANNAH, Georgia - Academy Award, Golden Globe and Emmy Award-winning writer/director Oliver Stone ("Platoon," "Wall Street") will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award along with Academy Award-nominated, Golden Globe-nominated, Emmy Award-winning actress Lily Tomlin ("9 to 5," "All of Me") at the 14th annual Savannah Film Festival. The festival, which will take place Oct. 29 to Nov. 5, will also honor Golden Globe-nominated, Emmy and Tony award-winning actress Ellen Barkin ("The Big Easy," "Ocean's Thirteen") with an Outstanding Achievement in Cinema Award and actor James Marsden ("27 Dresses," "X-Men") will receive a Spotlight Award.

Films to receive special gala screenings will include David Cronenberg's "A Dangerous Method;" Drake Doremus' "Like Crazy," winner of the Grand Jury and Special Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival; Michel Hazanavicius' "The Artist" winner of the Best Actor Prize at the Cannes International Film Festival; Roman Polanski's "Carnage" winner of the Little Golden Lion Prize at the Venice Film Festival; and Sam Levinson's "Another Happy Day," starring festival honoree Ellen Barkin. The festival will also screen Agnieszka Holland's "In Darkness," Famke Janssen's "Bringing Up Bobby," Lynne Ramsay's "We Need to Talk about Kevin," Mark and Jay Duplass' "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" and Ralph Fiennes' "Coriolanus."

Special guests currently scheduled to attend are Alec Baldwin, Universal Pictures President Ron Meyer, James Toback and Famke Janssen.

SCAD > News and Events > Oliver Stone, Lily Tomlin, Ellen Barkin and James Marsden will be honored at Savannah Film Festival (http://www.scad.edu/news/2011/savannah-film-festival-lifetime-achievement-awards.cfm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
I'm not trying to be insulting, but I wish someone could explain to me why a city like Savannah would have a "film festival". We are hardly the corner of Hollywood and Vine. Other than a bit of celebrity worshipping by the locals, I can't see anyone other than SCAD people (many of whom are only in Savannah temporarily) getting any benefit from such an endeavor.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Agreed, Daniel. Besides, isn't Baldwin supposed to be in France?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
You guys ever spend... wait, no. You guys couldn't possibly understand unless you actually lived downtown. It's just not something the typical suburban Savannahian could understand unless they spend the majority of their time downtown immersed in all of what the city truly offers. There is more to this place than you think.

Now, back to the OP's topic... this is great news! I love how this festival has grown so much over the years & can't wait to see it grow even larger.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
You guys ever spend... wait, no. You guys couldn't possibly understand unless you actually lived downtown. It's just not something the typical suburban Savannahian could understand unless they spend the majority of their time downtown immersed in all of what the city truly offers. There is more to this place than you think.

Now, back to the OP's topic... this is great news! I love how this festival has grown so much over the years & can't wait to see it grow even larger.
^^^ THIS! Honestly, why is it that Savannah's harshest critics are always ... SAVANNAHIANS?! And the point is, this film festival was established, funded and PROMOTED as a function of SCAD to benefit its School of Film, Visual Media and Performing Arts ... probably the fastest growing major they've got! The fact that kids from SCAD can leave Savannah and get jobs with Speilberg and the like STRAIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL says much for this institution and its connections to the "real" Hollywood.

Enough said.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I hate it when you kids fight.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I'm not trying to be insulting, but I wish someone could explain to me why a city like Savannah would have a "film festival". We are hardly the corner of Hollywood and Vine. Other than a bit of celebrity worshipping by the locals, I can't see anyone other than SCAD people (many of whom are only in Savannah temporarily) getting any benefit from such an endeavor.
Just one reason please......why should Savannah NOT have a film festival? Is there some sort of restriction on the size/location/whatever of a film festival?

Is it possible that you are correct and the entire thing is for the benefit of SCAD?

And does it really matter?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM

175 posts, read 421,500 times
durp?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,905 times
Default (For Robert Redford...) SAVANNAH FILM FEST 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
...getting any benefit from such an endeavor....?

Before moving to Savannah in February 1997, my then husband and I spent our honeymoon here in October 1993. Picked up from the Amtrak Station, it felt that the cab driver was "taking us for a ride" (I am unsure but want to say that I-516 or Veteran's Parkway were about to be finished) to get us to Plantation Inn. It was our first introduction to Picnic In The Park with the now defunct Savannah Symphony, where we relished every note. (I thought I heard an advertisement for The Savannah Philharmonic?) We saw delapidated buildings falling all around during our three days here as well as those that tourists are meant to see. The Marshall House was not yet reborn, the second story windows still covered with stucco from years past. Broughton Street was not as it is.

Fast forward to 1997. A parking lot smaller than a Walmart's, served those at the airport. At my last take off in 2004, A deck, B deck, three levels I believe. Many of those run down homes that could be bought for near to nothing now stand in the newness of their original glory days. Had it not been for SCAD buying and refurbishing other buildings, there would not be the additional arts of film education offered.

Lest we not forget the movie makers that HAVE come to town and made their movies. Some of those "stars" have purchased homes as they've felt they can co-exhist with regular folk, a slow down from their "Hurry! We're losing the light!" filming days in lands far from the Low Country. Ben Affleck was picking up a prescription at the former Eckerds on the Southside for his wife, Jennifer Garner. Sandra Bulloch allegedly purchased a home. Had it not been for some of those involved with films contributing funds out of their pockets, The Lucas Theatre would not have been refurbished. I recall Kevin Spacey giving a huge chunk to The Boys and Girls Club.

The movies that come through via Festivals are not always seen in our local theatres. Have you never watched an award's show and wondered:I never heard of that movie! Voila! Film Festivals! With Film Festivals come more movie makers. Music makers ie The Jazz Festival. There are more venues for the arts that have come about thanks to the arts. (Money begats money, arts begats arts..and jobs.) There are more artists that choose to do concerts here. I'd much rather take the drive downtown than drive hours to a bigger city I'm not familiar with. So what if I must go solo? I'm going to enjoy the heck out of whatever it is I'm breathing in!

The other day, I read an article about Atlanta becoming the 'new' Hollywood of the South as there are many places that can pass for big cities such as New York City, Chicago. Pishaw I say! Savannah can offer pretty much the same;a lot of alleys to run from the bad guys or run TOWARDS the good guys! And there is the good in movies worthwhile seeing. So, hey, I don't get the blood and gore genre...too much of that in real life, but I do get other subject matter including documentaries, which you won't find at The Carmike or Regal Cinema!

A note regarding the title: I saw Redford by chance long ago as I was hiking up a hill in Utah, the last place I expected to see him! Redford had a vision and "The Sundance Film Festival" came to fruition. Now, there is The Sundance Channel for those who aren't as fortunate as Savannah to have its own blossoming film fest! Now what was that about 'benefits'?

You never know who you may share the arm rest with! Now go!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 PM

^^^ BRILLANCE! BRAVO!

("why do we have a film festival?!" sheesh! "why do we have libraries and indoor plumbing?" SO SAVANNAH!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area