Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 PM

5 posts, read 14,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgroves View Post
I for one, love Savannah. Call me nostalgic, but I can't imagine living anywhere else. My mom grew up in the city. We moved 30 minutes south when I was a kid. I couldn't wait to grown up and move away and that is exactly what I did.

After being gone a while, I couldn't wait to move back. That is just what my family and I did. Granted, we live in Richmond Hill, but in an area like this, if you go to another location, the answer to, "where are you from?" is Savannah. And I don't plan on moving again.

All cities have strengths and weaknesses - kinda like the people that live in them. I suppose you could sit around and be miserable anywhere...or, you can bloom where you are planted...seems a personal choice to me.
Yeah if only I could do that without FUNDS!!! I can't wait to get out of here. When I do so, I promise never to look back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM

214 posts, read 899,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western_girl View Post
Yeah if only I could do that without FUNDS!!! I can't wait to get out of here. When I do so, I promise never to look back.
Great, one less negative person to deal with here. I have a great job in Savannah and all of my friends do as well. you keep saying you want to leave the southeast. I think you are going to be in for a big shock to find out what is going on in other parts of the country. Everyone is moving to the southeast from the North. They call it the Brain Drain. Anyone with a brain is moving to the southeast. There are more jobs in America in the southeast than any other area of the country.

Out west is better than the north but the cost of living outweighs the good.

I love Savannah and could not think of a better place to live.

Good Luck.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:14 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
There are a few posters here that seem to feel obligated to convince everyone that Savannah is the sole source of all their personal woes. I've posted, in response, that these folks are not uncommon and will show up on ALL of the city boards from time to time. Wondering if I was just talking through my hat, I decided to check it out myself. It's pretty easy. You just do a search on "(enter city) sucks". It goes on and on.

Here's what I found in a few minutes:

CHARLESTON
I just moved here from California for my Fiance's School and I hate it! My career in corporate health and fitness doesn't exist here and i have been looking for a job with decent pay to be able to cover our bills and nothing is available. To top it off, the city stinks, traffic sucks and we just had our bike stolen off of our front porch. What is wrong with this place?!!! Crime goes unnoticed, the majority of people don't care about the environment, you can still smoke and endanger others health indoors, and people leave their trash everywhere. Can someone help me to figure out this place? I've never lived anywhere like this, where it seems like people just don't care about anything but drinking, smoking, and themselves!!!!!

CINCINNATI
I would NOT move to Cincinnati if you don't have to. I have lived here over a year and luckily I am moving soon. Crime rates are very high, the weather is very undesirable, and the people are very rude. I have lived in TN, TX, KY and loved all of them. Cincinnati is a pit and has nothing to offer. Rethink your thoughts of moving here. I don't know anyone from another state who likes Cincinnati or Ohio for that matter!

ATLANTA
Atlanta is good for starting out your career and making a few bucks off the economy... BUT, everyone here is miserable, you can tell by the way they look in public, how they drive, and what they say and everything. Everyone here feels like they are stuck here, and can't get out. Everyone here goes to work and goes back home, nothing social, its as if everyone is married already in Atlanta. Single life in Atlanta sucks, everyone here plays games, i've lived in my apt. for 3 years haven't met my neighbor yet, very unfriendly people, very transient, the condos in midtown are nice, but they are all vacant because nobody wants to live somewhere with a 75% turnover rate. This place is God-awful, i would rather be anywhere but here, i can't stand how everyone drives an SUV, is overweight, you won't find that in many other places.

ATLANTA
I have lived here for 5 years. I previously lived in New Orleans, pre-Katrina. I would rather move to a post-Katrina New Orleans than stay in this dump. You were so right about how people comment on how we have coca-cola and big buildings and trees. That does not change the fact that if you go out after dark in the actual city proper you fear for your life. I went to the Howell Mill Kroger last night at about 9 PM and felt like I was going to be jacked at least three times. Oh yea, and anyone want to go to Atlantic Station on a weekend after dark? If you do, then you are probably one of the thugs who so perfectly populate the streets shouting curse words and walking with their pants off their butt with their hand grabbing their crotch ... classy.

PORTLAND
The slow moving cars and self serving minds of Oregonians is making me want to jump off one of the bridges. A GAY PARADE ON FATHERS DAY! Watch for the flood people. I have been here 5 years and I have to say it SUCKS! There is nothing to do, the weather sucks, if you go anywhere take your blood pressure med with you because people here do not know how to drive. Mayor Potter is a joke! They give Drivers Licenses to ILLEGALS! You get maybe 2 months of sun then painful cold and rain the rest. People dont congregate like in Cali- Big BBQ's and having people over doesnt happen. People keep to themselves. They dont let you in. They dont know how to be a friend. Its weird. First chance I get. Im going home.

DALLAS
If you move here your friends will never come visit because there is literally nothing for the out of town visitor to do besides shop, eat and drink. And brace yourself for the "fine patio dining" options in Dallas. Gee. This patio overlooking a parking lot or freeway sure is nice. You can only go to the 6th floor museum so many times.... This city has no character, no soul and no beauty. It just doesn't have an identity....sorry DFW'ers....leading the nation in "restaurants per capita" is not something to be proud of. But it's pretty much the only thing the Dallas visitors bureau has to work with. I'm not a negative guy. Just speaking the truth. After 7+ years here, I have to say that enough is enough. I'm outta here as soon as I can.
I know what your saying about Atlanta. After over a decade in metro Atlanta, I am planning to leave.
I have been to Dallas and I found it quite fun(compared to Atlanta.)
I don't know much about Portland.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 14,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
Great, one less negative person to deal with here. I have a great job in Savannah and all of my friends do as well. you keep saying you want to leave the southeast. I think you are going to be in for a big shock to find out what is going on in other parts of the country. Everyone is moving to the southeast from the North. They call it the Brain Drain. Anyone with a brain is moving to the southeast. There are more jobs in America in the southeast than any other area of the country.

Out west is better than the north but the cost of living outweighs the good.

I love Savannah and could not think of a better place to live.

Good Luck.

Ummm...I am from the West (California) and have lived in Seattle, which is in the West and pretty far North.

The problem with Savannah has to do with employment opportunities. Since there is little industry here, they are limited. The wages are ridiculously low. Further, due to the at-will and right-to-work employement laws, the working conditions are distinctly substandard. There is no way to hold an employer to any contract--verbal or written. Therefore, employers in this area have a nasty habit of promising wages when courting employees--only to refuse to live up to the bargain once that employee has left his or her job and is installed with the new employer. This has happened to me twice (once was with the employer who enticed me to come here). Other people in the area have told me similar things have happened to them.

I am working on my Master's degree (through Cal State) and, just as soon as I finish, I will start looking for a job. I will simply go where I get the most money and the best contract. Based on what I know about this area, I am sure I will have to relocate out of state.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 AM

5 posts, read 22,162 times
Post So

What is the best place to live ST. Louis not too cold or hot and friendly people? I agree Atlanta has to be the worse city people terrible and Culver City!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 AM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKore5250 View Post
What is the best place to live ST. Louis not too cold or hot and friendly people? I agree Atlanta has to be the worse city people terrible and Culver City!

Being from NE Kansas and living all but the last 11 months of my life within 120 miles of Kansas City, St. Louis is about the last place on earth I'd look to live.

Folks here in Knoxville thought last August was "hot" and it was NOTHING compared to back home. Same goes for "cold". Sorry, but "cold" is not 30 degrees. The midwest is a great place, but I wouldn't recommend moving there for weather because you get the extremes of everything it seems.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:10 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western_girl View Post
In Georgia, one must survive in Metlanta until one can afford to live in Savannah.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area